Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Herr Pitts Special - maiden flight report and video (success!)

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr Pitts Special - maiden flight report and video (success!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:52 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr Pitts Special - maiden flight report and video (success!)

Maiden of my Herr Pitts Special (build thread here)was a success and so were the next half dozen flights! I am very pleased with this setup. Field conditions were great today. Mostly sunny... upper 50s... winds 0 to 5mph. Got to the field around 9:30am. I flew a few other planes until my family showed up for the maiden of my Pitts. I had already broken in the engine but this was the first time firing up the engine in the cowl with the deflector. Ran quiet and smooth once I got the needle set to run a little rich. Being a smaller plane, any bumps in the taxiway or runway bounced this little plane around a little. Got it out to the runway and took off. Climbed great! Took a few passes to get it trimmed out but after that it flew very well. The OS .15 in that cowl with the exhaust deflector and all of the stock muffler was very quiet when turning the 8x4 APC. I decided not to remove the baffle from the muffler and it sounds great. Very smooth flier. The wind can knock this plane around a little but I was somewhat ready for it having flown Strykers for a solid year or so. The engine is running a bit rich still but I am sure to pick up a few RPM after I get it broken in and leaned 200RPM off max lean RPM. After landing I noticed that my elevator was hanging down a little from neutral. Think i have some reflex dialed in to my ailerons. Need to remedy that. I also noted that as the plane emptied the tank, the elevator needed trimming. Since I installed the OS.15 and shortened the motor box moving the fuel tank back and closer to the CG, I can imagine that the stock placement of the tank would effect the CG throughout the flight even more. I need to recharge after some flights and also run a full tank dry to see what kind of flight times I can plan for and how many flights I can get outta my Rx pack.

1/2A Herr Pitts Special w/ OS .15 LA - Maiden flight video... my wife's first attempt at filming a flight... it ain't easy.

Very much looking forward to flying this plane again!

somegeek
Old 03-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Herr Pitts Special - maiden flight report and video (success!)

I will have to wait untill I get off work to see your video. Youtube is blocked on our network. Glad to here you got it flying, it sure looks nice.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:24 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Excellent video! Thanks. Man, that thing jumped off the runway so fast it didn't have time to ground loop. Great job somegeek. Oh, btw, where did you find APC 8x3's? They're not even listed on the APC web site. The only 8x3's I can fins are MA blacks.

David
Old 03-02-2008, 11:42 PM
somegeek

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Excellent video! Thanks. Man, that thing jumped off the runway so fast it didn't have time to ground loop. Great job somegeek. Oh, btw, where did you find APC 8x3's? They're not even listed on the APC web site. The only 8x3's I can fins are MA blacks.

David
Thanks for the kind words.

Crap - 8x4 - my bad. /me updates notes

somegeek
Old 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
somegeek

Wow - looks like after that issue last night, they had to rollback the forums?

somegeek
Old 03-03-2008, 06:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

SG, are you going to see the doctor this week if you can't get the smile off your face?
Old 03-03-2008, 06:15 PM
somegeek

Hah - I heard this is a good natural high not requiring the attention of a physician. [sm=bananahead.gif]

somegeek
Old 03-03-2008, 06:33 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Pretty good for the wifes first time , I thought....cool plane, sure didnt need much runway huh?...I have a .15 for my simple series ultimate, when ever I get to it....Rog