Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

1/200 Sovremenny Class RTR Upgrade and Modifications

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

1/200 Sovremenny Class RTR Upgrade and Modifications

Old 03-23-2008, 03:12 PM
caragan1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/200 Sovremenny Class RTR Upgrade and Modifications

Hi Guys,

Just want to share a recent project of mine...

Out of impluse i bought this 1/200 RTR RC Russian Sovremenny Class Ship from Matotoys.com
I thought it had potential, after a few researches in the net (picture gathering), I found out that
Trumpeter has a similar scale model and White ensign PE parts available to go with it
which is quite costly for me as static display[:'(]. The challenge is how to improve the looks of it and still retain
the RC functions.

This is the results..

The front & middle superstructures can be removed for the battery & on/off switch.
These are held by magnets in place. The KA helicopter is also attached by micro
magnets to the steel netting on the helipad.

Future plans is to include movable turrets & rotating radar plus a smoke unit.

Hope you like the pics guys, It is fun building this thing Love every minute of it!

NOW GOTTA GO TO THE NEAREST WATER HOLE.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90161.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	911497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89810.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	911498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15144.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	911499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46074.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	911500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57157.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	911501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49878.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	911502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12939.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	911503  
Old 03-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: 1/200 Sovremenny Class RTR Upgrade and Modifications

They must be out of stock or out of production. I didn't see one on there. But you can find them on www.ebay.com. I liked the looks of the Arrow Wind and the 1:275 SCALE RADIO CONTROL AIRCRAFT CARRIER. Might have to get me one
Old 03-23-2008, 03:50 PM
caragan1970

Hi Deathwish,

I got this a way back but did not start the build right a way.
Your right went to the Mato site and it is no longer there.[]
Old 03-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

It would go great along my Sterling USS Missouri whish is 1/192 scale. I may have to get that one to. I have seen them alot on ebay. I think they cost more there thou.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:12 PM
caragan1970

Hi Deathwish,

Just saw this at Raidentech link: http://www.raidentech.com/smasher-warship.html

It says 1/115 but it is really 1/200 when you measure it (mould same trumpeter kit)

Old 04-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vessel looks fantastic. I love what you have done to this "toy" that formerly had what looked like some rather garish looking details (silver paint, glossy plastic, etc.). It looks like a fine model that you have slaved long and hard on.

Can you go elaborate more on the detail changes you made? It looks like there's some better scale details added to it as well.

I've heard these ships are very fast on the water and have non-proportional control, basically ON/OFF and FULL LEFT/FULL RIGHT in regards to the speed control and steering respectively. If so, have you taken steps to improve this to make it perform as well as it now looks?

Again, fine work. Hope to see further posts on this beauty.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 PM
RCCOMMAND

ORIGINAL: caragan1970

Hi Guys,

Just want to share a recent project of mine...

Out of impluse i bought this 1/200 RTR RC Russian Sovremenny Class Ship from Matotoys.com
I thought it had potential, after a few researches in the net (picture gathering), I found out that
Trumpeter has a similar scale model and White ensign PE parts available to go with it
which is quite costly for me as static display[:'(]. The challenge is how to improve the looks of it and still retain
the RC functions.

This is the results..

The front & middle superstructures can be removed for the battery & on/off switch.
These are held by magnets in place. The KA helicopter is also attached by micro
magnets to the steel netting on the helipad.

Future plans is to include movable turrets & rotating radar plus a smoke unit.

Hope you like the pics guys, It is fun building this thing Love every minute of it!

NOW GOTTA GO TO THE NEAREST WATER HOLE.....
Outstanding job with your painting. You've really added to the look of the ship and taken away the 'toy' look. Excellent!

Bill
Old 06-05-2008, 05:13 AM
itz me!

[:-][X(][:@]hi from down under you guys.i like the faces.

you have turned a toy into a real masterpeace.
found one of these on ebay last month so i bought it, it should arrive next week.
i like authentic detail so i have planed to paint and add bits to this model, i will be taking plenty of photos and ill keep you posted on that.
by the way did you cut those windows out, because they look great as does the rear mast.????
Old 06-10-2008, 11:59 AM
caragan1970

Hi Guys,

THANKS, Yes, i cut out the windows and the rear mast is scratch build from photos.

I'm currently making the main Radar to rotate via a small motor gears plus I added a
smoker unit.

Will post photos soon i get it going.\\BEST REGARDS

Patrick C.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:23 AM
tobyker

This is a great model to modify. I'm putting rudders, a decent radio and speed controller in mine.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:17 AM
khkim0102

Hi, Caragan1970!

I have found out this today. You did wonderful job on this ship.

I got a similar ship which is a Russian Aircraft Carrier Kiev Class. I think this ship is made by the same company, so that it looks cheap and the performence is not too good.

When running on the water, soon it leans to one side. Even though I put some balancing weight, it didn't work. I tried to open the deck, but even though I unscrewed all the screws, I couldn't open it. Do you know how to open the deck?

I also planning to repaint as you did. But because I cannot remove the superstructure, turrets, etc, it is not easy to paint. How did you paint for the deck, the superstructure, the helo-deck, etc.?

I would like learn about the detail of your work, if you don't mind. Thank you very much for your attention!
Old 11-16-2008, 05:57 AM
caragan1970

Hi KHkim0102,

The Kiev is a nice carrier and the model is in most part accurate. Are you going to replace the MIGs on the deck with better ones.

The deck is very hard to remove, because it is sealed with glue. After making sure all the screws are out,
you have to pry them apart carefully starting from the bow and the edges of the stern. Use two flat screwdrivers if necessary.
Most of the superstructures are screw in and the small bits are glued.

For my model, I started with removing everthing apart, dismantle everything and painted them one part at a time.
The windows are cut and some items scratchbuild, you have to use alot of photo references of the model. I gathered mine
from the internet. The part that I enjoy most is building the scratchbuild Antenna Mast and the KA helicopter,

The water balancing is tricky, make sure all the heavy components are located middle center and much as possible lowest position.
Use some epoxy putty to add some weight for balancing.

Hope this helps..

Best regards

Patrick C.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 AM
khkim0102

Hello, Patrick!

Thank you so much for your response and tips. I am so glad to have your response, because I have been waiting for your response.

Yes, as you said, I am planning to replace the airplanes on the deck. Maybe Migs and Sukhois from Trumpeter would be good.

But first of all, I have to open the deck, because it has a balancing problem when running on water. It tilts to one side, even though I put some balancing weight in the ship. I don't know what causes this problem. Do you know the reason of this?

Also when the battery and the motors are not good, I need to replace them, so I really need to open the deck. I will try what you said to open it. Thank you very much again.

Here, the winter is very cold (it goes down even below minus 30.) and very long (from October to April), and this winter I am working on 1/200 Soveremenny made by Trumpeter. Because of my busy work, it is not easy to concentrate on that. Hopefuly I can finish it by the end of this winter and run it in the summer.

Also as long as I get time, I will work on this Kiev based on your advices.

Oh, I have another question. You said that the deck is glued, then don't I need any debonder that works?

Once again, thank you so much for your advices! If you know about the reason of unbalance and a debonder that works, please let me know. Then, talk to later!

Sincerely yours,

James
Old 11-19-2008, 07:34 AM
caragan1970

Hi James,

The Kiev will naturally be unbalance because the deck is asymmetrical with the island superstructure being the heavy part,
In the Sovremmenny it is easier to balance because port and starboard sides are identical thus any balancing
is mainly done at the middle section. Small tuning weights are added to the bow or stern as needed.

For the Kiev, you have to counter balance the weight of the superstructure. Also remember the location of the planes on the
deck adds to balancing problems. So careful work is needed. Also make sure the props turn counter rotation against each other
and not on the same direction.

The Trumpeter Sovremenny is superb in detail and there is a PhotoEche Brass fittings available for it from White Ensign Models
Quite pricy kit but if you are going to make it a static model it is well worth it. I contemplated on buying that after I built this
sovremenny but decided not to because I like my ships to run RC.

You don't need a debonder, the glue is similar to a glue gun cartridge, it is really not that hard to remove. The way the hull edges are
built is it has two ridges, the inner ridge holds the deck in place and is sealed from there.

The weather in Bahrain is also getting colder but only (20-22 deg C) that our normal winter start here.

Goodluck in your project, post some pictures so we can see its development.

Best regards

Patrick C.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:19 AM
khkim0102

Hi, Patrick!

Thank you so much for your good advices and kindness!

I have modified the Trumpeter Sovremenny into RC and painted the hull. Now I have to begin to work the superstructure, turrets, other things on the deck, etc. I think because of small details, it will take a lot of time.

I am not a good and experienced modeler like you, so that my work for the ship cannot be as good as yours, but I will do my best.

When I make further progress, I will post some pictures here for you. Also you can give me more good advices from the pictures.

I envy you for the mild winter there!

Thank you so much again for your knidness, and talk to later!

James of Canada
Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 PM
caragan1970

Dear James,

Here are some pictures to motivate you in your project.
I found this on the web, the guy who made this CG photos is awesome.

best regards,

Patrick C.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79519.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1075622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49807.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1075623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72893.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	1075624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20644.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	1075625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29940.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1075626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32561.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1075627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40618.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1075628  
Old 11-27-2008, 01:23 AM
khkim0102

Dear Patrick

Hello! How are you? I have not got any chances to come here for the last several days. My working schedule has been crazy for a while, and now when I came here, I found out your postings of these wonderful pictures.

The ship looks wonderful and fantastic in these pictures. Surely these pictures help me a lot for the detail of the ship.

I wish I could do good jobs on the ship as you did.

After Christmas, maybe I will begin to work on the ship again a little by little. When I make a good progress, certainly I will post some pictures here for you.

Thank you so much for your kindness! And I am sorry for my late response. Then, talk to later!

Sincerely,

James