Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Lost an Aircraft - DX7 & AR7000

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:01 PM
overpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost an Aircraft - DX7 & AR7000

DANNY, We have be using Spektrum DX7's for almost 2 years now and AR7000's are installed in all of our planes. My son flies several hundred flights each season and we NEVER had so much as a glitch. This weekend, he was flying our Great Planes Ultimate 1.60 (which has the same setup intact for several hundred flights). After the 3rd or 4th flight of the day, he yelled that he lost control.. The plane remained in a high G banked turn, no power reduction, for 30 - 45 seconds. We all watched this in disbelief... He cycled the transmitter without any luck. The plane eventually went down in a tree.. The battery was fine and fully charged, as was the transmitter. It appeared as if the receiver just lost connectivity completely, and remained in the last setting with no failsafe activated. Range is not the issue as this is the same field for the last 2 years. We have had several 2.4 (although not all SPektrum) losses over the past few months. Are their any known issues with the recievers completely loosing lock and not coming back? I am deeply concerned as all 12 of our planes are equipped the same way. BTW, the transmitter was tested with another plane and operated fine.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:57 AM
pepatrick

Default RE: Lost an Aircraft - DX7 & AR7000

These are electronics...They are made by us and they tend to fail periodically. Two to Three hundred flights could be enough vibration to end the receivers life...Unfortunately with these things...its the luck of the draw.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 AM
eric97217

I have had the same problem. Lost connection or the plane does it own thing for a couple seconds before regaining control. I have replaced both batteries and receivers, everything fully charged, I truely think it is the transmitter. What would make one of these fail?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 AM
JAX FLYING REBEL

I had a 7000 go intermittent on me last weekend. Caused a bad landing. No up elevator to flare out. In flight the throttle went to failsafe then back. Guess the RX had to re-boot.

Danny's not available. If you get the chance, call customer service and post what they say on here. I'd really be intersted in hearing what they tell you.

Glad to see some other 7000 issues.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 PM
superdave01

Get the update and then you can use a the Fight Log on the ar7000, Metal WILL block the 2.4 signal, 72 Mhz tend to wrap around things, 2.4 dont....

position your antennas so that nothiong on the plane can block BOTH recievers at the same time.

I have a long John with a long tuned pipe.... on landing it would block both recievers, any other angle was fine, pipe was on the right side of the plane and I was landing left to right so you can see how it would block..... I seperated the recievers to eliminate blocking of both at the same time and perfect ever since.

Before i changed it i had flow perfect maybe 20 times...... it was that angle the ONE time that made me aware. I sat it down and moved around and could find the dead spot, now theres no dead spot.

All my 6100,6200,7000,9000 and R921 works solid.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:22 PM
eric97217

Mine has acted up where it should not be blocked by the engine or pipes, but it did get me to thinking about our safty cages.. I think they have metal poles holding up the webbing, I might have been behind one of those with the transmitter down low enough to block it. My first flight last weekend was fine but I was out side of the cage and the second time, when another pilot was up, I stepped behind it and had a slight issue which made me get her down quickly. I am going to a 6 volt battery pack just incase the volts are dropping just enough to cause it to reboot.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:53 PM
superdave01

Running 4.8 Volts is NOT acceptable even with a updated reciever in my opinion also the quality and charge of the batteris is always important, Insufficent capacity for what your powering is a crash waiting to happen, same goes for batteris that no longer power like they should.

Of the people that have had problems i link it to either cheap batteries in 3 cases and not charged batteris in another case.

Since these people have gone to good batteries theres been no problems at my field that i know of, The updaes will make it even better.

Keep in mind fast charging ANY battery will take its toll on them, cycle and check TRUE capacity to keep track of trends.

Good Luck, stay away from metal objects including carbon and happy flying.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:38 PM
bladerunner1955
My Feedback: (72)

Maybe I am jumping in the wrong thread but I am in a jam. Spectrum radio in a Byron Corsair had a lock out and went in. Now just this morning my friend called me from Jets of the west and told me about 4 JR radios doing the same thing. Man putting in one of those $15.000.00 plus jets will get ya thinking about what radio you want to use ugh? OK, my corsair had new everything, 2, 5 cell 2300 mah reciever packs on 2 new switches. I flew this corsair about 10 times and only had one 3 second lock out that I talked myself into thinking it was just the wind. Horrizon tells me to send in my radio and recievers, man I have a bunch of em. They will put in new software for the transmitter as well as the recievers. OH man you mean to tell me I am flying a couple thousand dollars worth of corsair around(was flying around) and now I hear there is NEW friggen software that MIGHT have kept this from happening???? OK, guys any input or dirrection toward another thread for some help on this is welcom.
Oh one last thing, I was going to buy a new JR 9303 but was told buy the guy I was about to buy it from my radio is the very same as the 9303. I have questions in to Horrizon and am waiting for an answer back. I have not flown since this happened. Well I do have a couple Hiteck radios I can fly with.
Here is the corsair that went in.......... miss her bad, anyone have one for sale????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66573.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1113756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64640.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1113757   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27350.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1113758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm31187.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1113759  
Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 AM
boltor

ORIGINAL: bladerunner1955
They will put in new software for the transmitter
sorry for your lost aircraft - it looked absolutely fantastic.

I didn't realise there is new software for the tx - do you know any more about it? thanks.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

First of all this is an old thread and while the forum has been re-opened, there isn't anyone from Horizon answering questions here. Some guys are trying to help answer questions.

There is no new software for the X9303 but there is an SB about chaffed wires from the right side gimbal wires, that should be taken care of by now but it wouldn't hurt to check if a radio has been in stock for some time.

There is new firmware for the rx's, well not exactly new as it's been out now for over a year. It has to do with the rx shutting down due to low voltage and if the new software isn't installed, it can take 2 to 5 seconds for it to reconnect with the tx should that happen.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=1756

Sorry for your loss, but most issues with these radios have to do with electrical power systems not being up to the task of providing adequate current to the rx/servos more than anything else. Looking at the mah rating of the batteries is not sufficient for determining if they are adequate for the model. One must look at anticipated as well as possible loads on the system and get a battery, switches and wiring which will handle the load as expressed in current or amps. Too many battery packs used in RC models have cells which were originally designed for electronic devices that don't have a high current draw and thus cannot support a lot of today's high performance servos. You need to look at the cell impedence and continous discharge ratings when looking at batteries.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:12 PM
superdave01

His post seems fishy to me, like maybe a FUTABA employee?

No updates and none needed .... i fly my X9303 almost everyday in planes and helis...... NEVER a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over a year with that setup, some FUTABA does requiire firmware update, some will have the same ID so one transmitter can control several planes, I personally witnessed this at out field.

Futaba has finally admitted to it and made a effort to get them fixed but that was after the owner of ROy's in hurst texas called them and said fix it or they would stop selling Futaba.

The updated ones seems fine now, they actually replaced one guys plane, that was a big surprise.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
bladerunner1955
My Feedback: (72)

Jets of the West last weekend at Cochella flying field had a great trun out,,,,oh ya all of the 5 planes that went in were on JR radios. What a bumber for the owners of those beautiful jets.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:39 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well at least you got one of your facts correct-the rest you get a D- on. You sure you dont work for the New York Times on the side?-The event "Best in the West" was at Coachella-You get half credit for that. Five planes were NOT lost due to RF link issues- you get zero credit for that. Two were lost. The other losses were pilot error. There were two more that had failsafe shutdowns but both planes made it back in for safe recoverys. As to the Futaba issue-there were 40 pilots there, and about 4 guys flying Futaba-the rest were JR , so that means 32 guys flying JR did not have a problem. Oh and BTW the guys flying Futaba really did not fly that much in relation to the guys flying JR. You can review the therad in the jets forum for the particulars and fact finding.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 AM
superdave01

Story sounded funny to all along...... i fly JR/Spektrum in crowds and NEVER have ANY problems..... PERIOD.

In past months the Futaba problem have started going away also now that Futaba is actually fessing up and fix instead of covering up.