Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Holland Hornet .049

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Holland Hornet .049

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:38 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holland Hornet .049

I believe that the HOLLAND Hornet .049 was one of the only engines, at the time, that could compete with the TD. As I recall, it had a decidedly short stroke in comparison to the TD. Then there was the Fox .049 which was a bit of a longstroke.

Anybody have any experience with either of these two engines?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11235.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	912044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59515.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	912045  
Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Holland Hornet .049

Both the Fox 049 FAI Special and the Hornets in 049 or 051 configuration were comparable-but in the case of the Hornets it was the works tuned versions that performed. The 049 FAI special was virtually a completely different engine from the standard Fox 049, and IIRC the only parts that were common were the backplate and NVA. The case, shaft, piston and liner were all significantly altered in the 049 FAI compared with the std.
The Fox peaked at about 19,000-a bit lower than the TD, whereas IIRC the Hornets peaked a little higher than the TD. The Hornet only had a aluminium rod-which let go if over-revved..........
The Fox as we all should know is still available-ditto parts-and limited parts for the Hornet are available thru MECOA. The heads are the problem-Doug Galbreath does an option with a turned down Cox head (converted into an insert, and using the Hornet head as a hold down ring)-but these too are now a dwindling resource. I have experience with the Fox and it is a nice handling engine-which performs well on a 6x3. The suppliers warn about going over 40% nitro-which will blow heads.

'ffkiwi'
Old 03-24-2008, 06:19 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ffkiwi,

When I ran the Fox a few years back, on a 6 X 3 black Tornado and 25% nitro, fuel, I got 19K. When I actually owned the Hornet, (30 years ago) I had no idea how unique it was and sold it off along with my HydroStar.

Lots of head scratching went on before I gave up on trying to install a throttle and muffler to the Fox.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:10 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's quite a few years-about 10- since I ran my 049 FAI Spl but that's about what I got on a 6x3 too-I used a Cox black 6x3-I don't recall exactly what % nitro I was using-it would have been no more than 30% though..Eventually,when my building program allows, it will end up on the front of a 1/2A Jays Bird for 1/2A Nostalgia-or I may just splash out and buy the BJMR laser kit.......
ffkiwi