Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

2.4 GHz and ignition interference

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:28 PM
GMoneyPit
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 GHz and ignition interference

If I have interference in my system, will switching to a 2.4 GHz system eliminate my problems? I can't find the source of my interference but I can only walk away from my plane about 10 paces with the engine running with the antenna down (72MHz) before my control surfaces and throttle start to jitter. I've read about people switching to 2.4 GHz - does the noise not bother with the receiver at that frequency?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 04-20-2008, 04:28 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 2.4 GHz and ignition interference

go 2.4 and you won't have the problem
Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: AirWizard

go 2.4 and you won't have the problem

Do you know actual result of using 2.4 and gas/spark ignition. I am testing 2.4 now and have only used it in glow up to .40 and now moving to a bigger plane with objective to put it in a 92" gasburner.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

2.4 is very very good but it ain't bullet proof and a bad install will bother it.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:05 PM
jimcork1

I installed a new 10 ch XPS 2.4 in my cub today,, .52 4 stroke. Great little plane.

Quick installation. Only thing I noticed was throttle servo chattering a bit, none of the others. Might just be a bad pot in the servo due to 6 or so years of very frequent flying. I will replace it tomorrow prior to flying.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:41 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the 27% Extra 330S was in development, we used spark-ignition (gas) engines and 72 MHz with no problems through a few different prototypes of that model. Now, I have my own 27% Extra and am using 2.4 GHz, also with no problems. A minimum of 10" is always maintained between the engine and any electrical components associated with it (ignition module, ignition battery, switches) and the rest of the radio gear.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:27 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run my Spectrum DX7 in two gasser airplanes without any problems at all. One is a Hellcat where everything is pretty crowded inside. There is no way of placing the receiver more than 12" away from the ignition box and I still have no interferences. I trust my Spectrum radio. The other airplane is a giant scale Giles with a Brison 6.4. Again, no problems either.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 AM
jimcork1

Thanks that is reassuring information before I put the XPS in my 50 cc gasburner.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim

Be aware that a lot of people are having problems with the XPS system, including myself.

Mike
Old 04-21-2008, 08:46 AM
jimcork1

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Jim

Be aware that a lot of people are having problems with the XPS system, including myself.

Mike
Mike what issues are you having? You now have my attention!. Jim

If you don't want to publish PM me.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:46 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

According to all the testing XPS isn't what it's advertised to be . Be aware that it won't hop if necessary.but it will mast the interference. Dennis
Old 04-21-2008, 08:51 AM
jimcork1

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

According to all the testing XPS isn't what it's advertised to be . Be aware that it won't hop if necessary.but it will mast the interference. Dennis

I have heard this from some of the guys who quit flying XPS but have no confirmation. So far it still functions ok in my applications,, but this doesn't mean it is working as advertised.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Tell me what the '10 ch XPS 2.4' System is, Spectrum? Futaba?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:04 AM
jimcork1

ORIGINAL: dasintex

Tell me what the '10 ch XPS 2.4' System is, Spectrum? Futaba?

Futuba I have the XPS 8 and 10 ch
Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

'Futaba XPS' System? Not heard of it called that, I thought Futaba refered to their 2.4MHz stuff as 'FAAST' I am interested in getting their '10C 2.4MHz FAAST Transmitter' not aware of a 8 & 10 channel XPS stuff?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 AM
jimcork1

ORIGINAL: dasintex

'Futaba XPS' System? Not heard of it called that, I thought Futaba refered to their 2.4MHz stuff as 'FAAST' I am interested in getting their '10C 2.4MHz FAAST Transmitter' not aware of a 8 & 10 channel XPS stuff?

2.4 G Extreme Power systems XPS Futuba compatable. Not Futuba MFG.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: jimcork1

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Jim

Mike
Mike what issues are you having? You now have my attention!. Jim

If you don't want to publish PM me.
Jim

My sytem was the Graupner IFS which is XPS in Europe, I fly on an interferance prone site where PPM glitches in four different place's around the site, the IFS system went into lock out in these positions, IMO this system is only as good as flying on PPM it does not seem to hop to another channel when experiencing interferance it just locks out, plenty of threads around expalaining the problems that people are having, do a search I am sure you will find them, RCGroups have a dedicated site.

Mike

EDIT: to add link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816989
Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM
BaldEagel

To answer the original question, 2.4Ghz does not eliminate RF interferance, it is just not as prone to RF, the interferance is still there, you should do all you can to eliminate RF in your installation as you could interfear with someone else in close proximity and cause them problems.

Mike
Old 04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running a Spektrum DX7 in three gasers with absolutely NO problems at all. One is a G26 in a Giant Spacewalker, another in a GP SuperSportster 40 with a gas/spark converted SuperTigre G51, and finally a Big Stick 60 with a Saito 91 also converted to gas/spark. All of my planes use the original CH ignition with built in synchro-spark and I haven't had any problems. Been using it for about a year now and I have it in a total of 7 planes and 2 heli's.

The SuperSportster is the tightest fit and the ignition module is sitting within 1" of the main receiver (no other way to get it all in) and the two batteries are stacked on top of each other just aft of the wing for balance. None of the three have the ignition module any farther than 2 1/2" from the main receiver and all of them have the batteries mounted either on top of each other or side by side in the case of the SpaceWalker. Again, not a single hickup out of any of them and the SuperSportster has more than 35 hrs since it was converted to spark. I agree with Terry (tkg), it may not cure a poor installation but I sure as heck wouldn't call any of my installations good and yet it just works and works and works . I also have a Futaba 7C FAAST system that I have been testing and it seems rock solid as well. (Won it in a raffle at a fly-in)
Old 04-22-2008, 08:07 PM
bjor

ORIGINAL: GMoneyPit

If I have interference in my system, will switching to a 2.4 GHz system eliminate my problems? I can't find the source of my interference but I can only walk away from my plane about 10 paces with the engine running with the antenna down (72MHz) before my control surfaces and throttle start to jitter. I've read about people switching to 2.4 GHz - does the noise not bother with the receiver at that frequency?

Thanks,
Gary
Don't assume that 2.4 will eliminate your interference issues. I thought and was told exactly the same thing. I have a Spektrum DX7 in a gas set up and until recently belived that It was infallable to ignition interference. A few weeks ago while doing pre flight checks I noticed severe interference in the elevators while the engine was running. I could also emulate the problem by turning the engine past the hall sensor of the CDI to see the elevators "flutter". I posted the problem here on RCU and everybody was very helpful and nobody eluded to the fact that I should never get interference from 2.4. The interference finished up comming from either a loose plug cap or dodgy spark plug (I replaced both at the same time). I also used an additional earth lead to suplement the existing earth braid.
Had I never had the problem I would still believe that 2.4 was intference proof, but seeing is believing.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Jburry

Radio is radio regardless of the frequency. 2.4ghz should be able to hop from a frequency where it encounters interference to another to try to clean things up.

Trouble is, ignition noise and other RF noise our planes generate, no matter if it's from the plug, boot, wires, linkages, or loose metal bits is wide spectrum, radiating over entire bands, not over single channels. So, if you're lucky, the system may be able to jump away from the trouble. But it may not be able to.

Always do everything possible to eliminate RF noise before changing radio systems to dodge it.

J
Old 04-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just one other thing I can think of to add. The servo is listening to an electronic "signal" from the receiver to "know" how much to move. When a servo glitches it does not have to come through the receiver. It can also enter through the servo lead or the control board in the servo. I have personally had servo's glitch like that and changing the servo also cured the issue. I could have worked to reduce the RF noise but in my case the filters on the servo board were bad causing it to "hear" the RFI. Lot's of little things......that's what makes this soooo much fun for me.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jezmo: Thanks for the good advice. I am planning on getting a 2.4 Radio system. Best Regards Capt,n[)]
Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 PM
T-ster

FYI,

I have XPS in a Futaba 8UAFS transmitter and have been flying the XPS receivers in 5 airplanes and 2 helicopters and have had no problems at all. This is at a renegade field that has "supposedly" had FM problems and has had 1 Spektrum go into fail safe.

I can't speak for others, but I've been satisfied.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

Radio is NOT radio regardless of the frequency.
At our field we have had a lot of trouble with being "HIT" .

We found out that there is a pager tower that operates right next to 72mhz in our area.

A year or so it was pretty bad. After checking into it and calling the pager company things got much better.
I believe they recalibrated their system.

It is not as crowded at 2.4 mhz as it is at 72mhz.

Plus 2.4 mhz tends to be a shorter range signal.
More intense but shorter range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.