Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Alternator / Generator on a 50cc Gas engine.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Alternator / Generator on a 50cc Gas engine.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:05 PM
wswanepoel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator / Generator on a 50cc Gas engine.

Has anyone done this? Any tips will be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Alternator / Generator on a 50cc Gas engine.

Look up the TAM project...

http://tam.plannet21.com/

Was a glow plane that crossed the Atlantic Ocean couple years ago..
Had a charging system to keep batteries up..
Old 05-10-2008, 04:13 PM
C185Pilot
My Feedback: (25)

Go to SullivanProducts.com and check out their Genesys system. They have alternators for many of out engines that bolt right on.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:31 AM
wswanepoel

ORIGINAL: Robby

Look up the TAM project...

http://tam.plannet21.com/

Was a glow plane that crossed the Atlantic Ocean couple years ago..
Had a charging system to keep batteries up..
I have looked at this before but they don't give any data of the altinator.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:34 AM
wswanepoel

ORIGINAL: C185Pilot

Go to SullivanProducts.com and check out their Genesys system. They have alternators for many of out engines that bolt right on.
I looked at this, but they do not have a unit for a 50cc gas engin. I have ordered one and will see if i can maybe modify it to fit when it arrives here.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:15 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

How much power do you need?. Sullivan makes units up to 2000w. Of course it takes about 4hp to make that much power.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:19 AM
wswanepoel

ORIGINAL: tkg

How much power do you need?. Sullivan makes units up to 2000w. Of course it takes about 4hp to make that much power.
Just enough to keep the battery full while supling the radio and ignition. I estimate +-500 ma. max
Old 05-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps you folks might want to qualify who you are conversing with?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:20 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like this could be a very sensitive topic to be giving out information blindly on.

Karol
Old 05-11-2008, 11:31 AM
wswanepoel

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

Perhaps you folks might want to qualify who you are conversing with?
Sorry but I do not understand what you are trying to say here??
Old 05-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Tired Old Man

Considering your geographical location and it's relevance to surrounding areas the information you request could have considerable long term impact in ways other than what many might be able to foresee. That which is already commercially available already is, more than what is already openly marketed might best be maintained in obscurity.

Plainly put, who you're with and what it's for are unknowns and likely to remain so regardless of what's written. Anything passed herein is not limited to solitary individuals, and trust is generally too freely given.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 AM
wswanepoel

Considering your geographical location and it's relevance to surrounding areas the information you request could have considerable long term impact in ways other than what many might be able to foresee. That which is already commercially available already is, more than what is already openly marketed might best be maintained in obscurity.

Plainly put, who you're with and what it's for are unknowns and likely to remain so regardless of what's written. Anything passed herein is not limited to solitary individuals, and trust is generally too freely given.
Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought that I am on a hobby forum. I am German electronic engineer and not political inclined. I just do a contract here in the oil sector. That is why I could not understand what you were mumbling about. Al I want to do is to be able to go and fly whenever I can without worrying if the batteries are charged or not.

Anyway don’t worry I have build my Alternator and fitted it yesterday to the Yak with the 50cc 3MM engine and I flew it yesterday afternoon and it works like a dream.

Kind regards
Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Tired Old Man

Yep, It's supposed to be a hobby forum but that has not stopped people from asking questions about items that could be considered sensitive. Anyone can figure out how to develop a plane that can fly long distances for extended periods of time but one of the items that stumps them is how to provide a reliable and adequate electrical source to power all that's needed for their purposes. It's happened before and people went to great lengths in describing how to do something without considering the who, what, and why of the people that were provided answers.

Pleased to hear that you accomplished your goal, but I still don't know who you are and what you do, and the intended purpose of your aircraft. Since you stated you are an engineer you should know all too well the reasons behind guarding some information. Too much is frequently given too freely.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about that just as you posted it Pat. Lately I have been posting far less on subjects that could benefit the wrong people. I would just feel horrible if I helped someone do something evil. I hope the original poster understands because you are right in that there is no reliable ID on these forums. It's just too easy to mask your ID. Just my two cents!!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 AM
wiz310

It's happened before and people went to great lengths in describing how to do something without considering the who, what, and why of the people that were provided answers.
You think it might be because there are very limited number of people that see reds under the beds, or not everything is a conspiracy??.
Dude, the information is out there and you don't have to be a rocket surgeon or brain scientist (yeah yeah, I know) to get it.
If the people that you claim may be plotting to do evil, are looking for answers to charge a battery, well they probably aren't clever enough to build and fly a model.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Bill, how about posting some pictures so that you can share your creation with us.

Karol
Old 05-12-2008, 01:55 PM
wswanepoel

but I still don't know who you are and what you do, and the intended purpose of your aircraft. Since you stated you are an engineer you should know all too well the reasons behind guarding some information. Too much is frequently given too freely.
In my previous answer I have stated the following:

I just do a contract here in the oil sector. Al I want to do is to be able to go and fly whenever I can without worrying if the batteries are charged or not.

To me this is clear enough of why I want it and what I do here. Maybe you want my credit card number as well? Sorry i also dot trust you the same way you dont trust me.

BTW for me this subject is now closed and I will not respond to people any more except if people are interested in the subject and not the politics.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:06 PM
wswanepoel

ORIGINAL: karolh

Bill, how about posting some pictures so that you can share your creation with us.

Karol
Hi Karolh

This is the set before I have mounted it. I will take more pictures of the mounted set and add that later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52611.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	948084  
Old 05-12-2008, 02:22 PM
2slow2matter

And our government shouldn't send nuclear warhead fuses overseas either. Especially when they are in boxes labled classified, and they were supposed to be shipping helecopter batteries. I'm sure anyone who needs to know anything at all can find out without the help of RCuniverse.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2slow,
I think everyone is just being careful. If we had been just a bit more cautious we could've possibly averted the 9/11 disaster. It's probably overkill but that's better than blind trust. I understand Bill's wanting to stay out of the politics and I agree, sometimes politics suck, however it's still best to just be careful.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Tired Old Man

Whatever. All the stupid civilians running around that figure that since they can figure it out anyone else can and that all the info is available on the internet anyway. Yes, our government does some pretty stupid stuff but there's no reason the rest of the sheep have to follow the same idiotic path.

I'm "in the business" so to speak and know where some of the stumbling blocks for others are. Because someone says they do this or that does not mean it is so. Every wife that said she was going to visit a sick friend for a few days has always told the truth as well. Yea, right. In some lines of work trust just doesn't happen.

Reds under the beds is pretty funny considering what can be done with a simple trainer 40 or rc car. If you only think you knowyou don't know. Much can be done with simple tools, as many of those that do that kind of work have long ago discovered. So if I seem to be a bit on the careful side, that's just the way it is. I don't believe in giving up everything I know simply because someone asks for it. For me there's a thing called need to know.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Ad-dul Meccha

You would probably think that anybody using RC universe to get information on a RC plane to commit terrorist activities would be able to creat an alias - like sign into RC universe as Billy-Bob from Texas. Easy to do, no cost and fast. By the way - if Billy-Bob or Jimbo asked the same question would the responses be the same - I think not.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Pontiac_40
My Feedback: (3)

wswanepoel, That is pretty cool, I have always wanted to do that on my planes, specially on some of my scale planes. How is the system working out? can you give some details on the voltage reg aand mounting etc?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Tired Old Man

Ad-dul Meccha,

I have replied in kind to persons on this continent and in this country in a similar manner when such questions have been asked for precisely the reasons you state. Which also is why me and others find the UAV forum to be an abomination. BTW, I agree that it would be very easy to start a new membership using a different name and country/state of origin. I notice that that was your first post? For some reason I rather doubt it.

Since the end of the French-American war Americans have not had the opportunity to see and experience the world as it actually is. We have lived in a gilded cage and have been sheltered from reality for far too long. Things (threats and defenses) that have been and are common and everyday for you and your neighbors are mostly unknown to people here. Perhaps that's one of the reasons we are known as "loud mouthed Americans" when we travel and hated for our arrogance. We have not been forced of necessity to learn the self restraint and caution required for personal survival. Instead we parade only our false sense of superiority, which is on the brink of biting us on the butt.

In any case, that's the way I see it. In the mean time let everyone tell everyone everything and anything. Some might even figure out why they shouldn't have done it.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Ad-dul Meccha

Yep - first post under Ad-dul Meccha, and just trying to prove a point. Your right of course, I'm not Ad-dul Meccha and Im not from Iran either. I was mearly trying to prove a point that on the internet anybody can be anything - and you know what - most would probably never know the difference. I could have been Osama and signed in as Billy from Montana (told a story of me marrying my sister and having kids that play the banjo) and probably got all the info I wanted. Yep, I agree, we do have to be careful about the info handed out these days - it's an unfortunate part of the new world we live in, but I kind of hoped that the RC Universe bit may have enabled all of use to communicate past the physical barriers whilst sharing the knowlede we all have. Perfect world - No Way, just a thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.