Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Thorprops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Yes, I have learned some good things here. Maybe some time later I will spring for a 9 plus ch. RX but for now I am limited to 7 open slots on the RX I have. Thank you all for the info. Man this Stang is one sweet ARF!

Scott
Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

I have the 9C also and use the three position switch by the dual rate switch so I can have flaps up, flaps half and flaps full down. I then know how much flaps I have in each position. With the slider or knob you will not know what position the flaps are really in. I guess you probably don't care. On full size aircraft we know exactly where the flaps are by selecting the correct position with the flap lever. Then you are not having to guess what position the flaps are in. Just my opinion.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
sevans16

I use a 12Z. I have my flaps setup on the left slider. It beeps at the halfway position and has a rachet spring like the throttle stick. So I know pretty close to where my flaps are. I can certainly tell where half and full flaps are.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Thorprops

Yes, I did consider the three pos. toggle for set flap positions and will give that a try. I like to use the three pos. sw. C for idle up / idle down / eng. off. I will try using 3 pos. sw. G for the flaps . Thanks for the tip.

Scott
Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

My 9C beeps at me at every 25% I Believe on the slider.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Thorprops

The thread has been kinda quiet so I guess that means we're all busy in the shop . Got the wings done last nite with panel lines completed. Will get some pics up soon. I have the So. Cal Scale Squadron ( Sponsor to our Scale Masters meet and local nats. qualifier) airshow/fun fly at Chino Airpark this weekend. Probably wont get back to building until Sun. eve. I had my GP Super Stearman, H9 Hellcat and TOC 30% Yak 54 out last week for practice so I'm ready to go There will be a hangar party Fri. eve. at Chino Airport at Hangar H with brews and wings. The hangar is home to Lady Alice P51D and they will roll her out for run up during the party, AWESOME ! ! Last year she came over the fun fly field for some low passes during intermission and the sweet sound of that Merlin made my hole body tingle

Got my Robart diamond tread wheels and some other goodies from Tower yesterday so I will get back to the build ready to rock on Sun. Hope you all get some good flying in this weekend with fair skies and lite winds. Out for now.

Scott
Old 06-05-2008, 06:15 PM
p-80
My Feedback: (1)

i was wondering what type of performance a saito 100 would give i will be recieving this plane tommarow and i woul like it to be fast with a 4 stroke power plant the saito is the engine of chioce simply because i have one so my question is in your opinions with this engine running on 30% nitro what would be the best prop coices for speed with this setup ps cant wait to open the box i normaly would not get a p-51 because they are the most common warbird but who could resist this one its just awsome and leaps and bounds ahead of the other arfs in this catagory
Old 06-05-2008, 07:46 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Atlas AMM500 (electric) motor mount arrived a few days ago, and I must say: THIS IS THE WAY TO GO (IF you are using an AXI 4130 series electric motor)

I haven't re-drilled the mounting holes yet in the firewall, so it isn't really bolted down in the pics, but as you can see: the fit is PERFECT!

The manual calls for 6 1/8" from firewall to the front of the thrust washer. In this case, it is more like 6 1/16 ~ 6 3/32", but as you can see: there is plenty of spinner to fuselage clearance.

Again, by using this Atlas AMM500 motor mount and a Great Planes 6mm to 5/16 x 24 prop adapter collet: I am able to use the spinner nut that came with the kit.

BTW: I will do initial flights with the APC 15 x 12 prop shown, but eventually I will modify the spinner and install an APC 4 blade 14.5 x 11.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39799.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	964548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84616.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	964549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34791.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	964550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11639.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	964551  
Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

I also have the 9C.

Hellcat, are you using seperate channels for the flaps/servos, meaning one channel for each of the four servos? I'm undecided on which to use, either the slider or the three position switch. I do know that I do not want to use a knob. I used to use one for the flaps on my WM P51 when I had my old Eclipse 7, but no more. I'm either going with the slider or the 3 position switch.

Thoughts???
Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Hellcat716

They are all on a Y harness. It is on my Top-Flite B-25 which uses four servo's for the flaps.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:42 PM
CorsairJock

Retractable Tailwheel Details:

This is a follow up to post #44 ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7564498 )

Here are pics with the Robart #602 retractable nosewheel unit removed, to illustrate what I did to the fuselage.

First thing was I completely removed the lower (upper, when viewed with the fuselage upside down) plywood mounting plate. This was accomplished by crushing it with Channel-locks (while still installed, then using a Dremel with sanding drums to clean it up.

While the Dremel was in hand, I also removed (using sanding drums) a LOT of plywood from the bulkead at the front of the tailwheel compartment. The room will be needed for the tailwheel to go into the fuselage, and for installing the mounting rails later.

Next I intalled a cross-brace from 1/8 x 3/4" spruce (could be plywood also) which was trial fiited, then glued to the (1/4" sq. hardwood?) rails which are above the remaining plate (or below, when viewed with the fuselage upside down).

Next, I fabricated some mounting rails from 1/4" thick, 3/8" wide, by about 3" long hobby grade plywood, which were then laminated with carbon fiber strips (thus, they are the black pieces).

Then I mounted the retract unit to the rails (drilled and installed 4-40 blind nuts) wit the rails angeled out.

Then I trail fit the rails with the retract unit installed, and sanded the front of the rails until they fit up against the bulkhead and the retract unit was where I wanted it to be.

I used CA to hold the hails in place, then removed the retract unit and then 'dropped in' some more CA where the rails contact the remaining mounting plate.

Lastly, I installed a pair of balsa braces which link the mounting rails to the crossbrace which I installed earlier. I used 3/8" x 3/4" pieces cut to about 5/8" long, used thick CA to adhere to the crossbrace, then thin CA to adhere to the rails and added more to where they attach to the crossbrace. It was then necessary to sand them until they were flush with the mounting rails.

When I re-installed the retract unit, I noticed that it was necessary to remove some of the plywood 'floor' for tailwheel clearance. Eventually, I will modify the cover that normally goes over this hole, and install it so that the hole is not as big. I suppose that I could even make functional doors from it.

I will re-state this: altho I installed a Sullivan Spring Tailwheel Strut on mine, I do not recommend it as it will involve a whole lot more work and headaches, and I don't have the time to go over my trials and tribulations with it. You should use a standard tailwheel strut, possibly the one that came with the kit, but you will have to make the 'post' 1/8" diameter (maybe 1/8" brass tubing over it?).

Name:	Pn36365.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	964904   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45648.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	964905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70844.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	964906  
Old 06-06-2008, 03:34 PM
bucho
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a saito 100 for this stang, it will be good enogh?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Hellcat716

Yes.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:36 AM
CorsairJock

I 'stole' a pic from mimoore67, and took some of mine setting on it's gear for the 1st time (a few days ago, before I did all the work on Friday). Looks like I could stand to make the tailwheel a little 'taller'.
My Robart gear door adapters are not scheduled to arrive until late June now, sure wish they would arrive so that I could attach the doors.

Also, the reason that I have not applied the national marking yet is because Chris Smith is right: the don't look right because the stars are too small in relation to the rest of the insignia. I have some old Top Flite and Major Decals markings which are the correct size and have better proportions, so I will be using them when I get time. Right now, my priority is getting it airborne, and there will be many things not finished the first time she flies.

Name:	Bz77819.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	965474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32022.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	965475  
Old 06-07-2008, 07:21 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corsair Jock,

Thanks for the picture of your plane sitting on it's gear. The problem I see, with this plane on our field, is that it will nose over, because of the gear being behind the leading edge. I'll be curious to know how she works with shims that cant the gear forward!. Are any of you planning on doing this. However, a very good looking airplane.

Now here's my problem! I love Mustangs! I don't care if there are a million Mustangs ARF's on the market, it's still a Mustang, one of most beautiful birds ever created! I have the hots for Corsairs too! But, I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy one of the following ARF's:

This plane Top-Flite Mustang, with Lado-Tech Retracts, and a 91 fs, with some minor scale modifications, knowing that it would be done by the end of the summer

or

Try another CMP P-51 140 size and use my 120 O.S. Pumpers, with major modifications, to the wing retract mounts, ect, ect, ect.

Guys, P.M. with your thoughts, so we don't hijack this great threat!

Keep the pictures coming Corsair Jock! BTW, did you get hammered with storms up your way! We were in between some stuff!

Old 06-07-2008, 01:51 PM
CorsairJock

Status update:
As of Sat. afternoon, I have both aileron servos, both flaps servos, rudder servo, tailwheel retract servo installed, connected, and set-up. The wing has been joined, with retracts installed but no servos installed for them yet. The motor and prop are installed.

What needs to be done yet:
Install stab and elevators, connect servo linkage to elevator, and setup on radio (servo is installed).
Install main gear retract servos, connect, and setup on radio.
Setup the Castle Creations 60 amp ESC
Install the lower cowling, pilot, canopy, radiator scoop, and wing fairing
Install batteries and check CG, then mount the batteries.

Now however, I will be leaving town for about 24 hours to visit relatives. I'll be back Sunday afternoon, and will attempt to finish at least MOST of what needs to be done yet. I did not make it to the CARDS warbird event, I'll try to make it up next year. But it should be ready to fly by Fathers Day, where a local club is hosting a Fathers Day Family Fun Fly Day and CookOut.

mimoore67, my experience with CMP warbirds is that the '70" span' ones have exaggerated wing sapns. Most noticable is the Hellcat and Corsair: thay have about 1/8 scale fuselages but 1/7 scale wings. Maybe the Mustang is differne, I don't know. Also, I have not shimmed mine forward yet, and don't plan to unless I really need to. I try to keep my CG as rearward as possible, and that helps to keep my warbirds from nosing over. Also, unlike the Hangar 9 '60 size' Mustangs: the Top Flite landing gear legs are VERY stout, and will not flex easily. My experience with the Hangar 9 Mustang was that it was an excellent flying and handling airplane, except for the overly flexible landing gear, which caused it to constantly try to nose over.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:11 PM
SMUGator

Whaddya doin messing around with Mustangs, Jim? There are a couple of Corsair builds getting started that would love to have you on board!

Good seeing your work.
Tom
Old 06-08-2008, 10:21 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just subscribing to this thread. My TF -51 arrived last week, great ARF. Looks like they took the TF -51 kit to China and said make this an ARF. Might be awile before I get to it but I am pumped. Great info so far keep up the great work
Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Looks like I could stand to make the tailwheel a little 'taller'.

The stance differnce has more to do with the fact that the full size bird's oleos are compressed due to weight . The model oleos are not. I have seen this on models for years ,the nose sets too high.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:20 AM
rifraff
My Feedback: (1)

hello all well heres my two cents worth i got this bird last week and have putting her together and its going well, decided to put in a saito 125 and this motor should give this bird very good performance i was gonna put a saito 150 in there but it would mean this thing would be too heavy ,plus i also added a set of robart spring downs and i didnt like the name HURRY HOME HONEY because several guys at my field are thinking of getting this same bird so i changed the name and called her HOLLY'S REVENGE, after my girlfriend ,shes been so good to me shes gotten me several of my planes well you guys get the idea heres the pics
she looks just like my girl but a little less perky

good luck and happy flying

Name:	Us52548.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	967714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62160.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	967715  
Old 06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

If I can get past the ARF thing this Top Flite P-51 D looks to be waaaaaaay more scale in out line than the Hangar 9 Mustang. (No offence intended to you Hangar 9 Mustang owners-)[8D]

"So many planned projects so little time..."
Old 06-10-2008, 03:22 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I just ordered this kit,
Do I want 3 1/2 or 3 1/4 inch wheels. would 3 1/4 look to small.
You want then to fit the well after a few landings and not hang up on the aft edge of the well.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: drdoom
........................Do I want 3 1/2 or 3 1/4 inch wheels. would 3 1/4 look to small.
You want then to fit the well aftr a few landings and not hang up on the aft edge of the well.
Only YOU know what you want, but if it is advice that you seek, try reading the entire thread, especially the 1st post. I do not repeat myself, as it wastes space and makes it more difficult/ time consuming for others to read the eintire thread.

Got home late Sunday and started to install the 2 main gear retract servos. That's right, I said 2: 1 for each unit. I figure with the added weight of RoboStruts, a little insurance would help. The servos are not actaully retract servo tho, they are 1.2 oz, low profile, hi-torque (79 oz/ in @ 4.8 VDC), digital, metal geared proportional servos. By being propotional, I can (a) adjust endpoints to match what is needed for the retracts, and (b) adjust cycle time with the timers in my Futaba 12FG FASST transmitter. I made the cycle times slightly different, so that 1 gear retracts a little slower than the other. Eventually, I'll post a video on You-Tube and provide a link here.

ANYWAY, installing those 2 servos took a lot more time than I anticipated, and that is all that I have accomplished since Sat. They are installed, connected, and programmed/ setup now. Hopefully, I can get the stab installed tonite (working those 12 hour days again, all week).

BTW, Great looking nose art, rifraff. And yes, it's also good to show some originality.

And, a teaser for us all: an electric powered Top Flite Mustang ARF (but not mine) takes to the air:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwggZlNp1ts

Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

watched the video,good looking Mustang. The heck with the electric though
Old 06-11-2008, 04:32 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: ramcfarland
watched the video,good looking Mustang. The heck with the electric though
To each his own. I say 'the heck with hacking up a perfectly good looking cowl, so that I can poke a muffler and a cylinder head out of it', and 'the heck with swinging a 2 blade prop, when I have a motor that will swing a 14" 4 blade prop on my Mustang'.

Got the stab attached last nite. Once I get the elevators attached and setup, only things left are small things such as attaching cowl, wing fairing, radiator scoop, pilot, and canopy. Then, all I'll need to do is setup the ESC and balance the plane.
Elevators: TONITE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.