Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Heng Long project

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:17 AM
ludeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long project

Ok here is my bottom feeder of a truck again
My project: Heng Long Hummer

Gee look at the wonderful stock electronics...oooh I like the heat sink

It does have a digital Radio and it's FM so I will keep that[8D]

Ok ran it with it Stock 1800mah NiCd battery, what a dog! then I put a 7cell in and it pepped up quite a bit but then as someones signature reads around here, I let the magic smoke out

So out with the burned up motor it still looks new but smells like fried electronics and barley spins, anybody need a ESC, don't know how many turns it can take but it's got 320A on it so clearly that means its a 320amp ESC

This is the power package for this one: Sidewinder/Velineon Combo. The motor is from my rustler that has beaten the snot out of it so not sure how much life is left in it. I love what the bottom of the sidewinder says[8D]

Real bummer on this combo is you have to make adapters so you wind up with a lot of extra wire!

Ok nice clean chassis.

Mounting the motor took less then a minute. Notice the Adapters and all the extra wire[]

the Sidewinder is bigger than the base they have built so I just made a hard foam base and zipped it on what they had.

Twist ties to keep all the wire under control

Threw on a heat sink on the motor. To bad its not blue

Slap my MAX AMPS in and setup the esc.

Sets up with out a hitch and the Velineon responds well to the Sidewinder and balloons all tires with no cogging.

Finished project about to go out on its first run.

Running in the back yard for about 10min because it was getting dark. All I can say is wow! Its flippin sweet! I kinda just got it for the neighborhood kids to run but now its too fast for them ha ha ha. I will be running this one till I start breaking things ha ha.

I will try to take some video tomorrow.
Thanks for viewing

Old 06-09-2008, 09:07 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Heng Long project

i cant wait for the video! ill have one of these trucks in a couple of weeks. i have the sidewinder esc laying around, just need a motor. are you running 2s or 3s?
were you being gentle with the throttle? my only real consern of this truck on BL is the gears/diffs.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:21 AM
TIGER76

ditto on the video the chassis looks good enough to run that BL setup glad u ditched the HL electrics
should be a balst offroad [8D]
Old 06-09-2008, 10:40 AM
TIGER76

ORIGINAL: TIGER76

ditto on the video the chassis looks good enough to run that BL setup glad u ditched the HL electrics
should be a blast offroad [8D]
Old 06-09-2008, 11:08 AM
tamiya trucker

i might have to get me one of these, there cheap and look good as a tuning project...
Old 06-09-2008, 12:35 PM
ludeman

nitrosportsandrunner, 2s. If it holds up well I will try 3s. [X(]
Old 06-09-2008, 03:38 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

if it hold up is the big question! it is a cheap truck. that doesnt mean the gears wont take some abuse tho. i know that a radioshack car from the ealy 90's i had(not hobby grade, but not a toy either) had plastic gears BUT they were almost a 1/2 inch thick! held up to the abuse of a 15t motor and jumping in a skate park. so, maybe the gears in this truck will be tough enough.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:32 AM
magnat

Just watch the Shock arms, there a tad weak.. and break often
Old 06-10-2008, 02:49 AM
tamiya trucker

to be honest i can see this going wrong, i think there will be a few broken parts if he isnt carefull with the throttle.

hope it goes well though dude
Old 06-10-2008, 03:02 AM
ludeman

Ok I have a [link=http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/Ludeman_photos/?action=view&current=Default.flv]Video[/link] up but I dont know what happend to the sound. the quality is not so good but you can get the idea what it's like. One thing Im going to do is move the front shocks to the rear. They are way to soft and makes the front dive and with the big bouncy tires make it hop a little too much. If you look close I bounced it off two walls but nothing broke. Battery lasted about 20min.

Will get more vid soon
Old 06-10-2008, 03:08 AM
tamiya trucker

sweet. looks like it goes well and held up great....

cheap fun. i like it
Old 06-11-2008, 08:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

is the truck still holding up? also, did you use the stock pinion gear? the gears have a wierd pitch to them dont they? if you are using the stock pinion, thats good cause in your vid it seems to be geared well.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:20 AM
ludeman

One of my front shocks are leaking so I have to refill them also going to put the front springs on the back because they are softer and I want the firmer ones up front. 5 packs now and its holding up well. The SW gets supper hot so I need to put a fan on it. Yes Im running the stock pinion and not sure what pitch it is maybe mod.1 not sure. Maybe someone here does
Old 06-20-2008, 07:01 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

my HL mad truck should arrive next week, and i just bought a new vxl motor off ebay for $54. i saw on ebay a mad truck witha 14t motor, and the description said he'd modded a 32 pitch spur gear to work on the truck. hopefully he'll respond and let me know what spur gear it was he bought and how he got it to work. if we have some gearing options then any BL motor and battery should work without overheating.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i got my hl mad truck today. slapped the vxl and sidewinder into it. still havent even neatened up the wiring yet. i have a youtube vid, just waiting for it to load. i ran it with a 2s 15c lipo. i only ran for 7 minutes(partly cause i cant figure out how to program the low voltage mode. im waiting on a castle link) at the end of the run, the battery was 120, motor was 200 and the esc was 165. everything was too hot. glad i didnt run longer. ill need to figure out how to gear it down. the stock pinion is waaayyy too big. its putting to big a load on the electronics. other than that, the truck did well.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Big Z

have you guys heard of this? Looked just like a mad truck to me so i was wondering if you guys had heard of it ... http://www.storacingproducts.com/str...ck-p29779.html
Old 06-24-2008, 11:18 AM
ludeman

Update on my truck.
I stripped my Pinion and spur so I rigged a E-savage spur and pinion. It was a lot bigger so I had to cut the bottom chassis hole bigger. Now after 12 packs 2s 6000mah lipo's I have broken the stub axle. The same problem that all these cheap China cars have. Now no part support and it is not the same as the Himoto/redcat so that wont work. Oh well it was fun while it lasted and I think it was still worth it
Old 06-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Big Z

ORIGINAL: ludeman

Update on my truck.
I stripped my Pinion and spur so I rigged a E-savage spur and pinion. It was a lot bigger so I had to cut the bottom chassis hole bigger. Now after 12 packs 2s 6000mah lipo's I have broken the stub axle. The same problem that all these cheap China cars have. Now no part support and it is not the same as the Himoto/redcat so that wont work. Oh well it was fun while it lasted and I think it was still worth it
nice but that sucks haha
Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ludeman, please post or send me som pics of what you did with the emaxx gears, as i need som better gearing options as well.
also, with your broken stub axle... i was at LHS where the owner sell mostly megatech stuff. well, he has a nitro truck called the gladiator, and many of the parts(driveline/suspension) look similar to our truck. some of the parts are the same shape, but bigger and beafier. post a pic of your broken part, and ill look and see if the gladiator has the same part. it shouldnt be hard to get parts for the megatech truck, especially for me.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:37 PM
ludeman

Cool, will do when I get home tonight
Old 06-24-2008, 01:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i have a castle link coming, so i can adjust the "punch". im hoping that will help the driveline stay intact.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

i drove my mad truck today with a vxl system on it and 3s lipo. i put on 26mm drift tires. that lowers the stock gearing alot! my motor/esc/battery stayed within OK temps. it was drifting pretty well untill one of the front driveshafts popped loose. ill have to figure out a way to make it stronger. it was basically RWD after the front driveshaft came loose, it just would spin out every time. pretty fun tho.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:00 PM
nibsdisc

Hey I picked up one of these Hummers on Ebay. Is there an online retailer that will sell parts for these in the USA? I've been searching High and low and cannot find anyone who does. Seems like a Cool little truck. Looks very well made. The person who sold it listed it as a Heng Long Mad Truck but they are quite different!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, i have this HL Mad Truck as well, i am also thinking of brushless, do you think i should??
Also to get parts for this truck i recommend http://www.auctioncityaustralia.com....are-parts.html .They ship to USA.
I hope this helps!