Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Herr lil-extra & Magnum .15

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr lil-extra & Magnum .15

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:45 AM
STRAUBMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr lil-extra & Magnum .15

After reading all the posts on this plane I decided to go with a Magnum .15. Some minor trimming and it fits right in. I do believe I'll have to move the wire to the opposite side. The problem though is the muffler.. How have you guys mounted the muffler? It hits the fuse severely. It looks like I'd need a 3/32 spacer to mount it. Any suggestions? Thanks
Cliff
Old 06-10-2008, 07:21 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Herr lil-extra & Magnum .15

Just carve out what you need to so it fits, no need for an extension and either paint or epoxy over the bare wood...Rog
Old 06-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Mr. Mugen

I sanded mine to fit and used 30min epoxy to treat the scar.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 PM
kerwin50

sounds like a great combo
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 PM
microsprint9

I made a 1/4" wide exhaust extender, the hard part was finding longer bolts to fit.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:44 PM
STRAUBMAN

Thanks for all the input. I found a 7/16" o.s. extension that I think will work well. I hate to cut that much off the corner, but we'll see what happens. As dad says "That's why they call it modeling". It's quite different working on something so small. Especially with so little experience. I'm stuffing a little bigger tank in right now, and I'm going to add some yellow stripes to the bottom. Not sure what to do with the antenna. Any suggestions??? Thanks
Cliff
Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 PM
tadeu

Hi Cliff,
I put in mine a 4oz. fuel tank by RADAR(the World Models) because the shape is similar to the original.
It works well, aprox. 10 minutes of flying.
For about the antenna, take a look at the mine in the picture.
Wich receiver are you using?
Tadeu
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84304.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	968820  
Old 06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
STRAUBMAN

I'm using the Neutron 6S and HS 55's all around. I would rather keep antenna inside but I think I may have to go the route you did. I've read about wrapping around a straw and bringing out the rear. The directions tell you to wrap around a piece of balsa. I really don't like that idea. One does have to worry about range. Tadeu. What engine is that you are using? Any problems with the muffler hitting the fuse? Any other advice on the build is appreciated. Thanks
Cliff
Old 06-15-2008, 08:56 AM
microsprint9

The neutron should come with an antenna bobbin ( my electron 6 did ) to wrap the wire around to make it shorter, i then drilled a hole at the back on the bottom and routed the wire out, there is about 5" hanging out the back.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 PM
tadeu

Hi Cliff,
I'm using OS .15LA in mine. No problems with the fuse.See the picture.
Tadeu

Name:	Nk28128.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	972178  
Old 06-17-2008, 08:10 PM
STRAUBMAN

No bobbin in my kit. I'll figure something out. I got the o.s. muffler extension today. It's going to work just fine. Need to drill to holes a bit bigger and get some longer screws. I'm hoping this thing can come together in a couple more evenings. It's just so darn small and light compaired to what I'm used to.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Toad

do the drinking staw thing for the antenna, its simple and works, the idea is to NOT cross the wire over it"s self when doing the coils, then it is taped to the bottom sheetting inside the fuse, aft of the canopy, latly I have not been taping it down either, it works great and I have never had a glitch or a range problem

http://www.darrolcady.com/Racing_Inf...ch/Antenna.htm
Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UPS brought mine today as well as a new OS 10LA. Looking forward to assembling it but it will be a while before I can get to it.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 PM
JRAllen
My Feedback: (71)

Maiden mine tis past Saturday, I went with the Magnum 15 and a 7X6 prop. This thig is great. I used HS 81's and 55's and only had to add 1/4 oz weight to the tail. I moved the servos to the front area of the servo tray and mounted a sq 4.8 nicad under the push rods. I am using a berg stamp type rec. This is a real floater. BTW, I bought the spacer for my muffler. 8.99.

Jamie
Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 PM
JRAllen
My Feedback: (71)

Forgot to mention that the RTF weight was only 31oz 8grs

Jamie
Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Mr. Mugen

I just took mine out for a hour of fun. Flew 4 tanks with no wind and had a blast. Yes indeed it is a floater. I must of floated for a 1/2 mile in one stride. My pal was trying to read the small writing on the decals when I made 2-4 foot passes at about 4 mph. I like the fact that it is easy to pack up in a jiffy and get out of the house with.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

I am gonna start on mine today too, have a teal one and a purple one, purple first with the blue OS LA and a while back for some reason I just had to have the matching blue muffler?..go figure...looks like I'll go hs-81s ,, thats what I have on hand...I had one with a Magnumxl .15....Rog
Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 PM
STRAUBMAN

Jamie. That's a great idea to mount the servos. I Just couldn't find a way to mount battery behind tray. That will work well. How about that spacer? Saved a lot of work. I did a little machining to enlarge the inside opening to match engine and muffler. Is anybody mounting their engine with bolts and nuts? or are the small wood screws sufficient? As for the antenna, I like the straw method but it's going to be heck getting back in the fuse.
Cliff
Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 PM
microsprint9

I mounted my 4.8V 300mah NIMH RX pack inside the canopy at the back rest to get the CG right, I used the Mag .15xl and did use the stock screws to bolt it down, only had 10 flights til my radio had a problem and i stuffed it in ( it's on the rebuild list now ) and had no prblems with the screws coming loose. As for getting back in the fuse i drill a hole at the back and then either use some small music wire to fish it forward then tape the antenna wire to it and pull it out the back or slide an old nylon tube from a pushrod set then push the antenna wire at least 1/2 way into the tube and then pull the tube out slowly and push the antenna wire at the same time.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 PM
flutter caused it

Hey STRAUBMAN , Where did you get your fuel tank? Will the neck stick through the hole in the firewall? I'm on my second lil extra with a CV-a 15. First one was great until the elevator control horn pulled loose. I actually flew it a couple of circuits around the field with no evelator. IF you gassed it, it would climb gradually but if you backed off the throttle, she was coming down fast. My only complaint has to be the fuel tank. I'm sure the tank would carry enough fuel if you installed the recommended engine but the plane hardly had enough power to get off the ground. Problem is the former inside the nose of the plane is already very narrow. Doesnt leave much room to cut to mount a larger fuel tank. I just hav'nt found a tank to fit, although it would be nice.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:03 PM
STRAUBMAN

I put a Sullivan R-4 standard round tank in. I got my dremel in and widened the inside opening to fit tank. I did shave a bit of the upper spar, I guess you would call it, inside the tank compartment. The neck then snapped right in. I put a thin piece of foam between tank and firewall. I then put foam behind the tank wedged by a popsicle stick. I actually flew today for the first time. Quite a difference from my trainer. Engine needs some breaking in but flys well. Snap rolls are incredible on high rate. I didn't time any of my flights but they were welll over 10 minutes.

Name:	Tr50915.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	985222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99780.jpg
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	985223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62642.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	985224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64232.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	985225  
Old 07-07-2008, 06:19 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a quick question on your setup, Straubman..

Whereas the XL A15 is a heavier engine, and you're adding more weight in a larger tank, how did you fell that the airplane felt on the ground? Were you able to taxi it without nosing over? What you are using for a prop and nitro?

Also, did you have to move the battery pack further back in order to get it to balance correctly or was that not an issue?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-07-2008, 10:16 PM
STRAUBMAN

Well I tried real hard to put battery behind servos, It would have worked by placing all the servos in the front slot as some others have done. I just couldn't make it work. I mounted the battery vertical in front of servo tray. I velcroed the receiver to a small strip I mounted in front of that. Nothing in the tank compartment. I added 1/2 oz of weight to the tail to balance. Probably could have added an 1/8 more but it was pretty close. As for nosing over on taxi. I did twice till someone told me to taxi with up elevator. No problems after that. Our field is really nice smooth short grass. I'm running an 8x4 prop for now. 10% Cool Power but I'm going to start running 15 shortly. The engine has no low idle. Our field engine expert made some adjustments and said put a gallon through it and we'll fine tune. I'm running quite rich right now, but in the air when it leans out, it's a screamer. Again I'm impressed with the flight time on 4oz. Hope this helps.
Cliff
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 AM
somiss1
My Feedback: (5)

Here's how I solved the problem of the heavy engine.

Name:	Db86545.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	986240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99328.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	986241  
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Amazing how your perception can change over time. When I first got my Little Extra, I had a Norvel .074 on it. I thought it flew great, and didn't see why anybody would want more power. First time I saw a thread proposing a .15 on this plane, I thought "thats nuts!". Then, I swapped the Norvel for an OS .10LA after receiving an offer to buy the Norvel at a price I couldn't refuse(at the time I didn't know I wouldn't be able to find another). That was when I realized what a good engine the Norvel was. I flew the extra last night, and had a hard time getting off the runway and up over the trees that line our field. Tune this engine so that it isn't running too rich to idle on the ground and it goes lean and overheats in the air. Tune it rich enough to run right in the air, and prayers and a good headwind area needed to get it off the ground before the tallgrass starts. More Cub than Extra. Ugh, that Magnum .15 is looking pretty good right now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.