Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

MLD-28 gasoline engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
stevenchao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MLD-28 gasoline engine

Hi Guys,

I am starting this thread so that it will be easier to find and track. We are introducing a new 28cc engine with very good numbers. So far this 28cc engine is performing very well in every aspect. We'll be releasing this later this week. You can probably poke around at RC Universe for product annoucement soon.

Basic Specifications
28cc displacement
2.8 horsepower
Engine + Carburetor: 30 oz or 1.90 pounds
Engine + Side Muffler: 33 oz or 2.05 pounds
Gross Weight: 37 oz or 2.30 pounds (includes electronic ignition with auto advance)
Engine is made in China, but fully serviced in USA. It is MLD-28. Here are some numbers after 30min of running;

Wood Prop with side muffler
16 x 6* 9,000 RPM
16 x 8 8,600 RPM
17 x 7 8,100 RPM
17 x 8 7,900 RPM
18 x 8 7,000 RPM
APC Prop with side muffler
15 x 8 9,500 RPM
15 x 10 9,050 RPM
16 x 8 8,800 RPM
17 x 6 8,800 RPM
17 x 8 8,100 RPM
18 x 8 7,800 RPM

Here are a couple pics, let me know what kind of info you guys need. www.mldengines.com will be up soon for some basic information early next week. Cermark will have a very limited number of these engines available.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44055.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	972889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97153.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	972890  
Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: MLD-28 gasoline engine

now we are talking i see we are missing some valuable info here $$$$ u know what i mean. I need something gas but powerful for this deal, so keep the scoop coming
Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

What are you guys thinking in terms of an intro price?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stevenchao,

How is the horsepower calculated at 2.8 ? I am in the market for a 26cc and was looking at the CRRC engine and depending on where you look the horsepower rateing is anywhere from 2.4hp to 2.8hp. Just curious, not trying to cause any harm. What type of warranty comes with the engine and will you also service these MLD engines as well ?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:36 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

FWIW Pe's HP program says 2.2 HP.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:15 AM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Zippi

stevenchao,

How is the horsepower calculated at 2.8 ?
Doesn't really matter much. Horespower is pretty much a useless measure in our engines. Look at the props it turns and the rpm it turns them at, nothing else really is as important as that.

To TS, thanks for including the APC props as well as wood props. Even if they aren't necessarily the best choice in the bigger sizes, they are a good benchmark for prop load.

Mark
Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: mmattockx

Doesn't really matter much. Horespower is pretty much a useless measure in our engines.
I agree, it's what works for you that counts.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Zippi

stevenchao,

How is the horsepower calculated at 2.8 ?
Doesn't really matter much. Horespower is pretty much a useless measure in our engines. Look at the props it turns and the rpm it turns them at, nothing else really is as important as that.

To TS, thanks for including the APC props as well as wood props. Even if they aren't necessarily the best choice in the bigger sizes, they are a good benchmark for prop load.

Mark
I'm very familar with gas engine and prop sizes. It's just that a lot of times some vendors will jack up the hp to make it seem like a more powerful engine than their competetor just to make a sale. Looks like it's turning a 16X8 prop a little under the Brillelli 26cc. Still waiting for a price on this one.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 PM
stevenchao

I do not know how the 2.8BHP is calculated. MLD mfg told me of that number.

I had the same curiosity as some of you. That was why I posted the test data with wood and APC props (reducing bs factor). This way, all of us should be able to reach the same result after 30min of breakin. This engine will improve with time. In addition there will be limited hop-ups/upgrades.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
Cermark
Old 06-18-2008, 09:42 PM
stevenchao

Here are some more background on the MLD-28 (MLD28). This gas engine is designed to rival that of OS FX160 (160FX) and FS200 (FS-200U), but at with a street price, $299.99.

Conceptual requirements behind MLD-28 (I believe MLD28 reached most if not all);
(1) Improve fuel cost
(2) Easier cleanup
(3) Push 3D performance envelope
(4) Increase power to weight ratio
(5) Turn lager diameter prop
(6) Maintain vibration expectations
(7) User/start friendly
(8) Retain high RPM capability
(9) Price friendly

The airplanes that MLD-28 was designed around;
Aeroworks 80" Profile Extra
Aeroworks 72" Yak54 QB
CA Models (Aeroworks) Genesis
Cermark / Topgun Spitfire
Cermark Scale Series 70" - Edge 540
Cermark Scale Series 70" - Extra 260
Cermark Scale Series 70" - Yak 54
DPM Extra 330L
DPM (Dave Patrick Models) Piper PA-18 Super Cub
DPM Piper PA-18 Clipped Wing Super Cub
Extreme Flight, 74" Yak-54 1.60
Hangar9 1/4 Scale J-3 Cub ARF
Hangar9 P-51D Mustang 150
Hangar9 P-47D Thunderbolt 150
Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing MonoCoupe
Pacific Aeromodel Gee Bee Y 84"
QQ 73 in. YAK-54

Peace,
Steven Chao,
Cermark
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

now we are talking i see we are missing some valuable info here $$$$ u know what i mean. I need something gas but powerful for this deal, so keep the scoop coming
Those APC numbers fall between what an OS91 and 108 would produce.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

yeah for that power and price i have to pass on that deal and stay in the bigger cc motors and planes
Old 06-19-2008, 06:21 AM
Zippi

I was a little supprised at the price. The rpm's that were given for the APC and wood props are no better than a 26cc. There are a host of good 26cc engines on the market that will produce as much power for a lot better price. As an example, the [link=http://www.rconlysite.com/gf26promo.html]CRRC 26cc[/link] can be bought for as little as $189.00 with free shipping and is probably as good as all the other engines produced in China.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 PM
stevenchao

Hi Bob,

I am certain you agree that good Brillelli engines which provide good power and service while sell for $3XX.XX deserve to be supported. Secondly, I know you agree that we should not beat up any companies improve their quality, no matter their background, because we, Americans, are after quality product. Finally I know you agree that companies should provide continuous parts and service for their product sold in USA.

So like you mentioned earlier, this 28cc engine puts out quality number like that of Scott's. At the same time, it is fully serviced in USA. It will be made availabe throiugh your local or favorite hobby stores. So I hope you will continue to support them (they are becoming a dying breed). Now, if you don't believe that this MLD-28 is a better than suggested engine, then you can pick up my used MLD-28 for FREE. You can post YOUR numbers as you test. Fly it with your Wildhare setup. I am certain Tom F. (Wildhare) will love to hear about your results.

HERE IS THE CATCH. If you don't like the engine, you can return it, no question asked. If you like it, you need to pony up the full amount to either me or Tom F. If you haven't figure it out, I love challenges. OH, if I have not mentioned, I would recommend that you post your findings here or your own thread. You can use Tom as a ref. Of course I have not spoke to Tom yet. I'll let him know tomorrow about this proposal

Peace,
Steven Chao,
Cermark
Old 06-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Zippi

stevenchao,

I appreciate the offer but if I was going to swap out engines on my WH Extra 260 it wouldn't be the MLD 28cc. That plane for me is best suited with my OS 120AX swinging an APC 17X6 prop at 9500 rpm. I am getting ready to build a Warbird and it will be powered by a 26cc gasser and probably the Brillelli engine since I've had them before. I don't remember saying anything about the MLD engine not producing the numbers you posted, I just said that there are 26cc enignes on the market that produce as much or better rpm's for a better price. I'm a bargain hunter and I always look for the best bang for the buck. If your looking for someone to verify your numbers maybe someone else would love to volunteer their time for free.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:49 PM
stevenchao

Hi Bob,

That too bad that you're unable to take up the challenge. I am looking for an unbiased contrarian for these type of things. More importantly, you have an edge (personality).

Things get or appears to get sugar coated when it involves our pilots/employee. We want people who are after particular niche. I would not of mind you're or not a bargain hunter. Besides your Wildhare Extra 260 is a nice plane, one of our pilot was looking at it very hard at it the other day. Total chance that I ran into ya here.

Let me know if I can be of service in your search.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
Cermark
Old 06-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Zippi

stevenchao,

You sound like a very good business man and I hope your line of engines do well. The Brillelli engines are a little hard to come by right now as Scott is backed up pretty good but it was my first choice. Once your Web site is up and running I'll bookmark it and who knows, when it comes time for the engine for my Warbird I may take another look at the MLD 28cc. Like I said, I'm a bargain hunter and I listen to people I know on RCU and watch for info on products that I'm interested in.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:14 AM
wifpwcf

hi guys these are great motors,i have had the chance to test one power is great
runs like clock work,here is a 74''edge with the MLD28

cheers glen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyU9pkA7LS4
Old 06-21-2008, 09:22 AM
rctom

I'd like to offer a perspective here.

First, I have not yet seen the MLD-28 and I'm not selling them at this point, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

But I CAN tell you about the many many other engines that I don't sell. I don't sell them because either they have caused problems for me in the past (3w and Evolution/MVVS) or I can tell from my testing that they will be a problem. I have tested many engines, only a few ran well enough to tempt me to sell them, and of those the only ones that proved trouble free are DA engines and the 3mm TOC-53.

There is always somebody who will make something cheaper. The trick is to find something that is inexpensive while not being cheap. If you go to the field and have to fiddle around instead of flying it was no bargain. I'd much rather pay $300 and be able to fly reliably than $200 and lose flying opportunities because of some quality problem. And if an engine doesn't run well enough to have fun, or shakes your plane to pieces or dead sticks and damages your plane, that engine was worse then no engine at all.

And if you have to throw it away after a few months because something fell of or broke and you can't get parts, what kind of bargain was that? Of course a lot of people only build a plane to look at it, fly it a few times then get bored or frustrated. IN this case the cheapies are a good deal.

All these ideas are from experience. I know that younger people think they are doing things for the first time, but I've been there, done that, and I have boxes of junky engines with 5 minutes run time to prove it.

I will be testing this engine soon, Steve told me he's sending me one. If I start selling it you know I'm satisfied. I set the bar pretty high.

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare Hobbies, Inc.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Well said,

I have about $2,000.00 in sample engines that would make good paper weights.

Milton

ORIGINAL: rctom

First, I have not yet seen the MLD-28 and I'm not selling them at this point, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

But I CAN tell you about the many many other engines that I don't sell. I don't sell them because either they have caused problems for me in the past (3w and Evolution/MVVS) or I can tell from my testing that they will be a problem. I have tested many engines, only a few ran well enough to tempt me to sell them, and of those the only ones that proved trouble free are DA engines and the 3mm TOC-53.

There is always somebody who will make something cheaper. The trick is to find something that is inexpensive while not being cheap. If you go to the field and have to fiddle around instead of flying it was no bargain. I'd much rather pay $300 and be able to fly reliably than $200 and lose flying opportunities because of some quality problem. And if an engine doesn't run well enough to have fun, or shakes your plane to pieces or dead sticks and damages your plane, that engine was worse then no engine at all.

And if you have to throw it away after a few months because something fell of or broke and you can't get parts, what kind of bargain was that? Of course a lot of people only build a plane to look at it, fly it a few times then get bored or frustrated. IN this case the cheapies are a good deal.

All these ideas are from experience. I know that younger people think they are doing things for the first time, but I've been there, done that, and I have boxes of junky engines with 5 minutes run time to prove it.

I will be testing this engine soon, Steve told me he's sending me one. If I start selling it you know I'm satisfied. I set the bar pretty high.

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare Hobbies, Inc.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:39 PM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

Thank you Tom! Well said. I have seen more junk and heard more horror stories than I could possibly recall due to these bottom dollar engines. Most, if not all sell direct from China or overseas which = no service, and no parts, and no reliability.

Bottom line, an engine is only as good as the service it's backed by no matter where its made!

Nuf said!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:46 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

I am still waiting for someone from BCMA to tell me when the 22cc engine will be available.
Please reply.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 AM
wifpwcf

good point tom & we stock the MLD28 ,toc53 at AUSTARS & i have 5 toc running in scale 100'' planes to 80'' aerobatic planes
& i just love them they run so sweet .The 28 runs like clock work you will love it tom looking very forward to your reports
cheers glen
ORIGINAL: rctom

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare Hobbies, Inc.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:17 AM
stevenchao

www.mldEngines.com is now up.

For sales or additional information, please contact your favorite hobby store or local distibutor;
Australia: www.austars-model.com
Canada: Cermark (562) 906-0808
England: CML +44 (0)1527 575349
USA: Cermark (562) 906-0808 or (800) 704-6229

MLD-28S or MLD28S or MLD28 comes as side mount muffler version. It is now available. The "R" or MLD-28R or MLD28R will be available in July. The R version is the rear muffler mount version.

Additional information:
MLD-28S is not a SPE-28. In fact there is no SPE-28. As of today;
MLD => MLD-28S
SPE => SPE-26, SPE-43 and SPE-40 has been discontinued, but still serviced as of May 2008. SPE-43 is the official replacement (parts are not fully interchangeable) for SPE-40.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
Cermark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.