Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Insayn3D, an advanced aerobatic build

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Insayn3D, an advanced aerobatic build

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 PM
willrockwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insayn3D, an advanced aerobatic build

It rained all day Saturday, so I stayed inside and worked on planes. My son started college and I thought I would try to make him a 3D plane he can fly in a yard on campus. Slow flyer, easy to hover, tricky to handle but with extreme aerobatic capability. Oh, and easy to build. Here's what I came up with.

The basic plane is cut from two pieces of 1/4" BluCor, with slots cut for assembly

We decided to make the ailerons 50% of the wing surface, if they are smaller the plane will be easier to handle. Elevator and rudder are cut from another piece of foam. Hinges were cut from a plastic milk jug and hot glued in place, all done before the fuse is joined. The matte knife shows scale, the little paper is the original drawing.

With all surfaces in place, the slotted fuselage is joined and sealed with hot glue along the edges.

A balsa spar is angled and epoxied to follow the leading edge, then hot glued in place both for rigidity and as a KF airfoil. The square wood plate on the nose is my design for a universal mount, motors are rubber banded to it and can easily be swapped between planes.

Barbecue skewers are used in the stab and as reinforcement in areas that tend to break easily.

And here is the finished plane, decorated and ready to fly. I found the sparkly tape at a dollar store, it seems made for foamie design. The motor is our small Ultrafly, comparable to a 400, powered by an 850maH 3 cell lipo. The plane flew well, hovering easily. The large ailerons give it a roll rate like a bit on a power drill. This was a fun project which gave my son a plane that really tests his chops.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:58 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Insayn3D, an advanced aerobatic build

Verrrrry impressive! How did you decide on the dimensions, relative position of the wings, tail, and calc the CG etc?