Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

old tamiya sherman

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:11 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old tamiya sherman

hi
well i got her she needs work i need your help should i use a esc instead of thre power points hook to the servo what kind of battery 6 volt or rc car type radio 2 channel for there no working turret or gun on this model can i use the parts from h-l for this ,at the bottom of the pictures there is a link pin i need three more dose anyone have any extra orwhere can i get some thanks rye
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20624.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1031971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11756.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1031972  
Old 09-12-2008, 05:58 PM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: old tamiya sherman

Looks like Tamiya used the same tracks for all of their tanks a few years back. My old Leopard (must be same vintage as what you have) uses identical tracks from what I can see in your photos.

Might help out, if you broaden your search to the "early" Leopard as well. You've tried Tamiya?

I had a lot of problems with the tracks coming apart (the link you are inquiring about) and the rubber "caps" that held some of the rotating parts on, coming off and getting lost in grass. Funny, my HL has at least as much runtime, and fewer problems lol. Of course, it's got years of refinement (ok copying) going for it.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:06 PM
wackywheelz

Metal HL Pershing tracks would be my first thought (same).

The whole suspension is different.... no parts fit... Copying smopying...
Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
dyeager535

I know the suspensions are different. Heng Long obviously has copied some things from Tamiya, I was only trying to make the point that the years between the old Tamiya's and the Heng Longs of today have led to refinements in design, regardless of what the suspension or track design is. I've got both, the new Heng Long is better than the old Tamiya in a few regards, and vice versa. This isn't designed to start a Tamiya vs HL discussion.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 PM
wackywheelz

Just FMI which parts, could you tell me? Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 12:05 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one of those old ones and made an M-4A1E8 out of it. Phil (BLitz) installed the electronics and it runs great. He could tell you what works and doesn't.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:23 AM
dyeager535

ORIGINAL: wackywheelz

Just FMI which parts, could you tell me? Thanks
Judging by your other posts on this topic, you are trying to bait me, so nope.

I've got better things to do, like think about my next tank, or discuss original posters topics, even if joking occasionally while doing so.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:44 AM
wackywheelz

LOL, righto dyeager....

rye - good luck with the build mate, HL tracks will help fix up your set (I have the same tracks as you) and a cooled RX13 should be able to handle the drive and functions just fine (with a couple to spare)
Old 09-13-2008, 07:49 AM
darkith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Track options:
1. Get a set of Tamiya Shermans tracks. More expensive.
2. Get really lucky and find someone who upgraded their Sherman to metal tracks and buy their (high quality) plastic tracks. Cheaper
3. Get a set of metal Heng Long Pershing tracks (as wacky suggested). Cheapest

For upgrading:
1. Stick with the stock clutch system. Change the microswitch setup for a car ESC to give fully proportional throttle control. Tack in a Heng Long or Tamiya turret ring & motor setup, plus a small car ESC to rotate the turret. Then use either a servo, a servo modified for continuous rotation, or a gearbox to drive barrel elevation, again with a small car ESC.

2. Modify the stock gearbox system for separate motor drive, if you can find the kit gears to do so. (Download the manual from Wacky @ http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Ewackywheelz/manuals/ You want the 56001 Sherman manual, look at page 2). Now you don't need the clutch, though your top speed will be slower. For electronics, use either Elmod or Heng Long. Again, tack in a turret rotation and elevation system like above.

3. See if Heng Long gearboxes will fit. If so, rip out the stock gearbox (ebay it) and bodge in a pair of Heng Long gearboxes, and either Elmod or Heng Long electronics. Again, tack in a turret rotation and elevation system.

Feel free to ask questions if you need any details.

Cheers,
D.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:06 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi
thanks for the help ,i am going to go with a esc and battery on a two channel radio i dont need the turret to move do you have a idea on esc or battery and do you have any extra keeper pins for the tracks thanks rye
Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 PM
g.horn

After searching my parts boxes I came up with 2 complete links with 4 keeper pins. Still need them? If so I need Your address.

Greg
Old 09-15-2008, 12:26 AM
blitzkrieg65

Rye,

I converted this one to Heng Long!

The Blitz
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13487.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1033705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75526.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1033706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48499.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1033707   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97220.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1033708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77955.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1033709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98039.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1033710  
Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 AM
kclank

the heng long pershing tracks are functionally identical to the sherman plastic tracks and about a third the price.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:55 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Gotta agree on the HL Pershing track idea:

Although the Sherman, Leopard and Gepard shared their link setup (although the Leo/Gepard had a bunch more) the tracks for the HL are a drop fit. You need a link or two more per side, but you'll have spares from a Pershing set. And no-one has found a satisfactory replacement for those blasted cast end-connectors. CA is a very poor solution... tried it, and still lost end-connectors.

If you are DEAD set on keeping the stock tracks, look in the Leopard & Gepard spares on www.TamiyaUSA.com, they have 17 link 'repair' sets (9805414) but it was about the same price as a HL Pershing set (last time I saw a price) Its now listed as discontinued, but sometimes they have a set or two left. You could break up a full set (9805413 - $76 list) and sell off spares kits of your own... at about 176 links and odd spares, thats TEN 17-link kits.

Note as usual, Karen at the AAF can often get parts cheaper (25% off MSRP I've usually found)

I did a similar thing for my Leo 1A4's (tracks & spares are gone) in that I used Tamiya Pershing tracks w/ a spare donor links to 'stretch' them to fit the Leopard. Lookwise, the guide horn IS correct (checked pics of Leo 1A4's) where the Sherman styled ones are not. Lotsa spares for 'decorating' my Sherman, Pershing, and Leopards.

Note well: the new-type Sherman tracks will NOT fit on Leo's and Gepards as the guide horn is too fat to fit between the roadwheel pairs.

You might even be able to use the HL M41 links if you want an unusual look... but that would probably necessitate the HL gearboxes and M41 metal sprockets.