Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Magnum Fuel

Old 09-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnum Fuel

I have been looking around for fuel and was wondering anyone run this fuel? I have never used it and would hate to buy a large amount and find out it is no good. any problems with it running in your engines?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:46 PM
wolfiberkleid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magnum Fuel

SIR

I GOT A HOLD ON A HALF GALLON ON THIS FUEL,, I DID NOT HAVE TROUBLE WITH IT, BUT I FLY AT 13000 FT ABOVE SEA LEVEL AND IN COPARASON TO OTHER FUELS IT DID PERFORM 80 TO 90%.

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU

REGARDS
Old 09-13-2008, 10:29 PM
carrellh

Our club members bought about 40 cases afew years ago and got a nice discount. My brother and I got 8 cases. It ran as good as any other fuel, zero complaints.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:08 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I've been running this fuel for almost ten years. I have run it in everything from OS 25's to my 150 Saitos , wouldn't run anything else!
The #1 is my fuel of choice
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
nosram

Has anyone experienced problems with recent batches of MAGNUM fuel?
I have been using Magnum 30% heli fuel in my YS140 Sport for several years. The motor is installed in a pattern ship. Last Saturday I had 5 sucessful flights, at which point I changed to a newly purchased gallon. I had been unable to get 30% for a few weeks. My hobby shop had told me that it was due to the Olympics. When I went a couple of weeks ago he had 3 gallons on the shelf. I bought 2 jugs, having carefully checked that it had 30% nitro. On the label this is clearly stated on the top right hand corner.
On the first flight shortly after take off, at half throttle, the motor quit! I managed to land OK. I checked the tank pressure, and changed the plug. I have always used an OS F plug. I checked the motor on the stand, it seemed OK. Maybe it was running a bit rough, I'm not too sure. On the next flight the motor spluttered during take off, I put the throttle to a little under half and headed around the field for a landing. As I came into land I increased the throttle to clear the long grass, and once again the motor was dead.
I don't belive in coincidences, and can only believe that there is something different with these latest purchases of Magnum fuel. I don't want to risk my pattern plane so I will have to send the YS off for an overhaul[]
Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I wouldn't blame that on the fuel, I got rid of all four of my YS engines because, simply put, they are not reliable. They will run fine one day and you'll think its the finest engine you ever owned and the next day you'll want to run over it wirh a locomotive.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:27 PM
nosram

Hobbsy,
I would agree that YS motors are a little more finicky to tune than a sport, cooking, motor. When it comes to performance, and particularly Pattern flying YS is definitely the weapon of choice.
I called Magnum and spoke to Buzz, what a really nice guy he is. After I described to him my predicament he advised me that he had in fact recently changed the formula of the Heli 30% fuel. He could relate to the symptoms that I described as being caused by the nitro substitute that he is working on. The main drive for this modification was the lack of nitro, and now the elevated cost of it. He also informed me that he has supplied my hobby shop with a special plug that will help in the carburetor adjustments on both 2 and 4 cycle motors.
He wished me luck and asked if I would report back on my success in setting up the motor, as he had another pilot having problems with a YS DZ160. I don’t really want to risk my plane trying to save $10 a gallon on fuel. Actually I have taken the 2 gallons back to the hobby shop and received a full refund.
Buzz is an extremely nice guy, who’s motives are good. His only mistake was not changing the label to indicate that the formula has changed and now is using a nitro substitute. Some carburetor adjustments, along with a new plug, may well be needed.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I remember back a few years there was a nitro shortage and at that time Sig came up with a nitro subsitute for their fuel that was adveritised it would work as good as nitro, well I bought two gallons of the fuel and I had nothing but trouble with it, It would not idle and the engine would run hot and stop all the time. After two tanks of nothing but trouble I got rid of it and went back to regular fuel with nitro and paid the extra dollars. Sig must have trouble with because they discontinued it after 6 months. I am glad you said something I was thinking about trying some of their fuel but not now if they are not using nitro.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 PM
nosram

It could have easily cost me my plane, and for what. A couple of dollars[]
Old 10-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Hobbsy

Nos, a substitute is rarely as good as the original, I would never even be tempted to by a substitute. A perfect example is the new Ethanol gasoline with 10% ethanol replacing 10% of the gasoline. My wifes Saturn lost from 33 down to 28 mpg, my F150 lost from 18 down to 15mpg and is hard to start on a hot shutdown where you come back in 5 minutes or so to continue your journey. Genuine improvements I'm all for. I've been operating glow engines since I was 14 years old in 1956 so I'm not engine challenged, the YS engines are just too much of a hassle.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:22 PM
nosram

Wow Hobbsy you have been at it longer than me. In 1956 when I was 8 years old I had my first wind up Spitfire. It wasn't until 1959 that I had my first glow motor, a Davis Charlton Bantum. I agree that the YS is a bit of a hassle, but not as much as the motors used in Touring Cars! They are RC cars, using .12 size motors.
Looks like we are both in the hobby for the long haul
Old 10-09-2008, 05:24 PM
nosram

Wow Hobbsy you have been at it longer than me. In 1956 when I was 8 years old I had my first wind up Spitfire. It wasn't until 1959 that I had my first glow motor, a Davis Charlton Bantum. I agree that the YS is a bit of a hassle, but not as much as the motors used in Touring Cars! They are RC cars, using .12 size motors.
Looks like we are both in the hobby for the long haul
Old 10-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Hobbsy

Nos, I still have that first McCoy .36 and Spitfire .049 and a McCoy .35 that is about 2 years newer. I rode my neighbors 1949 Harley 125 Hummer in 1952 when I was 10, I was a GearHead almost from when I could walk.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:07 AM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I stopped by Buzzs shop to get some #1 from him. I've always ran it and been very happy with it. He told me he was having trouble getting nitro and gave me a gallon of the new stuff and a new glow plug. I tried it in my Saito 150 and it ran horrible! I sure hope he can get back to the real nitro!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:49 AM
balsaeater

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy

Nos, a substitute is rarely as good as the original, I would never even be tempted to by a substitute. A perfect example is the new Ethanol gasoline with 10% ethanol replacing 10% of the gasoline. My wifes Saturn lost from 33 down to 28 mpg, my F150 lost from 18 down to 15mpg and is hard to start on a hot shutdown where you come back in 5 minutes or so to continue your journey. Genuine improvements I'm all for. I've been operating glow engines since I was 14 years old in 1956 so I'm not engine challenged, the YS engines are just too much of a
I don't know about those numbers

I have run my non flex fuel 1998 asperated carberator Suziki swift 3 cyclinder 900cc car which is meant to use 95% gasoline and 5% ethanol on E 85 which is 85% Ethanol 15% gasoline
Also I have run it on different amounts of Ethanol eg from E85 fuel only through to mixxes of E85 and E5 gasolines mostly as Ethanol E85 was 25% cheaper in my region of Europe

My finding based on no modifictions to timing or modifications to fuel jets or spark plugs showed no issues in terms of drop in MPG or anything else with mixxes of fuel as high as 30% Ethanol 70% gasoline

Although as the ratio of Ethanol increase above that showed a drop in MPG even at E85 the cost per mile was nearly exactly the same as E5 fuels as the gasoline costs here are 25% greater than E85

With E70 to E85 ratios there was some sagging as the car pulled off in low gears and some stumbling mostly when car was cold
Cold starts had the major issue that the car smelt like mobile bar as I exited the local housing estate in the morning and Figure the neighbours have me pegged as one heck of an alco head and me a tea tottaler

Now a days I run mostly a 50% Gasoline 50% Ethanol mix as the best cost MPG ratio

Simply advancing the timing and getting hotter spark plugs and drilling open the jets to allow extra 30% fuel in would mean I could get more MPG when using E85 pure but I like the way it works allowing me to go from E5 to E85 fuel with no big issues

If you go online to Etahnol convertion sites you can get all the facts for most all the makes of cars converted to run on Ethanol fuels with most opting to compromise on a few minor modifications like timing and running on a 50% galione mix with a 50% Ethanol mix which make roughly 35% ethanol fuel mix

For the Model fuels have you any idea what the subtitute is in the magnum fuel.Some subtitutes work very well if you know what it is then you can adjust to suit the subtitute

If the subtitute is for example 3% Acetone this can sometimes allow you to drop the Nitro about 5% but the engine will have the lost the top end power that nitro gives but still keep the low end grunt and tick over that is available from the missing 5% nitro
Acetone evaporates from the fuel rapidily which is a big issue with it

The Japanese 3D heli team are reputed to be using 20% nitro (buy volume )10% synthetic ESTER oils ( not american synthetic PAQ oils) and its works for them

But you do have to probably retune engine a good bit differntly to get engine to run happily and then often the results are with low oil content fuels with lowwer nitro fuels is reputidly as good as the high oil fuels with high nitro content

Some guys with bigger glow engines are running on mixture like 50% glow fuel 50% E85 car fuels with good results especially in terms of economy
The Ethanol wont react with the Glow plug so well so it requires a constant onboard glow driver but apart from that seems to work for lots of guys

Its often really a question of what this subtitute is ???
Nitro methane can be replaced fairly sucessfully with nitro ethane and I think Nitrobenzene
Unfortunaltly some nitro componds are too toxic to be used which ones I cant remember
links for nitromethane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane

links for nito

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nitro_compounds

links for fuels and fuel types
http://books.google.ie/books?id=QKo7...esult#PPA20,M1

If magnum fuels doesn't supply the info then your gropeing in the dark

Balsaeater
Old 10-11-2008, 04:14 PM
nosram

I ran CoolPower today and it ran just perfect, fancy that
Old 03-21-2009, 05:02 PM
tigil

Did you really made a valid temperature test and rpm test with a brand new and fresh gallon of Magnum fuel with exacly the same nitro percentage ?

Tigil
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM
fredfly

What think of Morgan in comparison with Powermaster Fuel and Cool Power?
Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool Power is made by Morgan.

Morgan also makes Omega fuel

http://www.morganfuel.com/
Old 04-09-2010, 01:22 PM
fredfly

Saying Magnum quality compared with Powermaster and Cool Power?
They know the Tornado Fuel?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:55 PM
tigil

What think of Morgan in comparison with Powermaster Fuel and Cool Power?
I use Magnum fuel since 3 years in my 2 and 4 strokes and its good as Power Master w lower prices
Old 09-30-2011, 06:05 PM
DIBIASE

I ve been using Magnum fuels since 2002. and never changed fuel ever since. 4.76 liters, for 31.99$.........No other brand can match that price for quanity. The fuel is just as good or better than its competitors.... Why pay more @
Old 10-20-2011, 03:40 PM
sonsight
My Feedback: (1)

Magnum has worked well here for four years! No complaints, even at 9,000'. By the way, its just $18.99 in Colorado Springs.
Jake