Community
Search
Notices
MaxAmps Support Receive support for your MaxAmps products here!

Maxamps nimh 4700mAh batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Chris_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxamps nimh 4700mAh batteries

How do these compare to the top cells like Energ 4600s matched ($60) or Orion 5300 SHO cells ($100)? They arent matched so how can you tell what kind of voltage per cell there is or the specs of the cell?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:11 AM
JAM MaxAmps

Default RE: Maxamps nimh 4700mAh batteries

These are better than the EP which we used to sell. As for the Orions I couldn't tell you. They are matched by voltage and then Zapped. They will charge to a higher voltage than the EP's and they will also hold that voltage longer as well.

Best regards,

Jason
Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Chris_RC

What is the average voltage per cell? Are you referring to the ep4200 stick pack or an ep4200 matched "team" battery which I have?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:07 AM
JAM MaxAmps

On a normal charge rate they were peaking at 1.45 volts per cell. And we compared them to the standard non matched ep4600's that we sold. The cells were tested side by side and ours performed better. We don't do matching the whole matching deal destroys the cells life span and cell matching is slowly fading away as Li-Po's take over. Not to mention the market for matched cells is small.

Best regards,

Jason
Old 10-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: JAM MaxAmps

On a normal charge rate they were peaking at 1.45 volts per cell. And we compared them to the standard non matched ep4600's that we sold. The cells were tested side by side and ours performed better. We don't do matching the whole matching deal destroys the cells life span and cell matching is slowly fading away as Li-Po's take over. Not to mention the market for matched cells is small.

Best regards,

Jason
That is the voltage off the charger, which is higher. My battery peaks a little bit higher but that is because I use a Integy 30 amp discharger and Novka Smart tray to discharge them to get *****um performance. How does charging at 7.5 amps and discharging at 30 amps (good batteries discharge at over 100) ruin the cells life span? If you kerep discharging them fully the lifespan will grow. Doing things like charging them above 8 amps and dead shorting the battery and not discharing will shorten battery life. Matched cells produce more power and keep their current longer (kinda like lipo in a way) than normal batteries. I am mainly trying to say for $45 you can get a battery with the same performance as that and for $60 you can get a "factory" matched battery.

Have your lipo cells ever been compred to Orion lipos? EVERYONE at my track has the orion 3800 and everyone says Maxamps dont give any power (this is for stock and superstock class) compared to orion, Trakpower, and SMC lipo batteries. Do you have any defense?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:43 PM
JAM MaxAmps

I can tell you from our testing that those other brands can't even match up to ours. Look I'm here to answer your questions not to defend our product. We have thousands of customers that do that daily for us. We offer the widest array of Li-Po's for the car market. Nobody else comes close. Just ask Novak, Traxxas, Castle Creations, Caster Raing USA, and Axial Racing. They all use our packs for one reason they need the best and they get it from us.

Best regards and enjoy your weekend,

Jason
Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Chris_RC

What kind of li-po cells do you use?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM
JAM MaxAmps

Sorry company secret. Wouldn't want the competition to get what we have ya' know.

Take care.

Jason
Old 10-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: JAM MaxAmps

Sorry company secret. Wouldn't want the competition to get what we have ya' know.

Take care.

Jason
LOL.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

I have two Maxamps packs[6000 and 4200] and two Orion packs [ 3600 and 3800] , all lipos . The Orion lipos produce more punch and they don`t drop as fast as the Maxamps lipos . Needless to say , no more Maxamps for me . This is the general consensus at the tracks I go to about Maxamps . Most now run Orion , Team Checkpoint , and Trackpower after trying the almighty Maxamps lipos . As for the companies you mention that use your packs , any company will go with a battery company that will give them the best deal . From my experience your packs are good for bashers and possible practice , not for racing .
Old 10-27-2008, 03:07 PM
hakmazter

I can only comment on what we have seen so far and I will speak of the variables. The variables are that Caster 1/8 scale buggies run 2) 7.4 volt packs in series (which changes things) and we only run lipos. We have tried the 4200s, the 6000s, and they just made the 6500s for us specifically, and the 8000s which will fit, but you have to modify the car. We have a few team drivers who run the maxamps battery packs and we have received no complaints so far.

We know a lot about electric, especially 1/10 scale and that is why we made the 1/8 scale fusion line and we are perfectly happy with the maxamps batteries, but like I said, we have limited experience. There are a lot of other variables that everyone might not be taking into consideration like the c rating, which is the discharge rate. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples, but like I said, Caster Racing likes maxamps batteries and we have been approached by a lot of different battery manufacturers since we don't make batteries.

When I get some more samples of other brands, we can do a comparison and see, but running 2 packs in series and a heavier platform will technically skew the results if you are looking for the best battery for your xxx4 or team academy buggy....lol.

Mike Mazza
Caster Racing USA
Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 PM
fritz175

Sorry to forum jack, but i was wondering what kind of charge times i can expect to see. I currently only have a Prophet Plus II AC/DC Peak made by Dynamite charger.
Can you help?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Chris_RC

Well these arent the best batteries and they are very expensive for what you get.

I would charge these packs at 4 amps. It should take a little over an hour to charge. Remember to let the pack cool an hour or 2 before you start charging it again.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:27 AM
JAM MaxAmps

Chris RC, seeing that I work for MaxAmps and you don't and seeing that your comment wasn't needed here why not let me deal with our customers questions. If your not happy with our products I'm sorry but we have thousands of customers that are very happy with them.

Fritz175 you can charger our 4700's at 4.7 amps if done at that 1C charge rate your looking at about an 80 minute charge time. I would then cycle the pack a couple of times say after every 6 to 8 uses to keep the packs in tip top shape. These are good high quality cells and if taken care of properly they will provide you with hours of runtime.

Best regards,

Jason
Old 12-21-2008, 09:47 PM
SD2006

*** Message Deleted by user ***