Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, of course it's fake, cant you tell?
80.46%
No, of course its real, cant you tell?
19.54%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Real or Fake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:42 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Real or Fake?

http://www.chilloutzone.de/files/08102703.html Do you think it's REAL or FAKE ? I have already drawn a conclusion, what do you experts think?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Bass1

Default RE: Real or Fake?

Well, If it's fake the audio engineer did an amazing job dubbing in and coordinating the engine sounds. I may have to hire that person to mix my next project
Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 PM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't leave us this way. Was it real ?????
Old 10-30-2008, 06:19 PM
MetallicaJunkie

i agree, they did a superb job till the landing. It looks questionable

Don't leave us this way. Was it real ?????
I wish i knew for sure, i'm leaning towards fake only because of the landing
Old 10-30-2008, 06:36 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Landing was way short and iffy, but overall very well done. They did a good job turning that knife edge footage into a one wing approach...
Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 PM
cwesh

It is fake.

http://www.reggiepaulk.com/2008/10/k...buzz-with.html
Old 10-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Bass1

They should have hired these people to do the flight scenes(cheesey special effects) in that movie "Flyboys". Might have saved the flick![sm=49_49.gif]
Old 10-31-2008, 07:32 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The right wing comes off and it rolls to the LEFT!? Common...
Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Deadeye

Because everything on the internet is true, right?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Deadeye

I've watched this video and picked it apart 1000 times. The rudder inputs, elevator inputs, and the landing and bounce all seem genuine to me. Maybe I'm a fool, but I'm calling this video "real".
Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

The fact that the only person you can actually hear is speaking English suggests some degree of production to me. Seems to me that in moments of high stress, he would have unconsciously reverted to his native tongue. My vote is fake.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:35 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am completely shocked that this poll is only marginally lopsided. I would have thought it would be incredibly lopsided.
To the unknowing, average viewer, the frantic, over-the-top audio and engine sounds are hammered to convince at the most demanding part of the animation, deflecting, or directing your attention away from what your seeing toward what your hearing. helping your ears convince your eyes.
Watch it with the sound turned off, as that's how it was edited. Then the audio track was created to fit the visual, and specifically got very frantic and overwhelming to force a perception and cause you to dismiss what you know through experience.
You can fool some of the people all of the time. And there are those you can never fool.
People, people, people. Maybe there's a way for the Magnificant Seven to recast their votes and save face.

But it is obviously a well crafted piece, simply for the popularity and wildfire viral nature of it. But I would not expect anyone with aviation experience (model or full-scale) to bite on this.
It's okay to enjoy it for what it is. A well-crafted and thought out piece of computer animation.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:51 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm with you. How can anyone think it is real! The plane does not act like a full scale in the air, the landing is bad, and look at the wing root when it lands. Full scale aircraft are not built like a model. The wing and fuse dont just come apart without major dammage to the fuse.

David
Old 10-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Blendzall

The only operational prototype Giles G-300 crashed in Oklahoma in 2005.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...05FA242&akey=1

I haven't seen any links to any other full scale G-300 airframes, and Akrotech (the maker of the one plane) went out of business in 2000.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:21 PM
SDCrashmaster

Hard to believe that after all that has been written, there are still those voting that they believe it's real...are we as a species really that gullible?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Bass1

Seems I remember someone (Que Que??) experiencing a similar mishap with a 40% airplane and knife edged it to the runway and kicked it over and landed safely. Not sure though.. I might have dreamed it!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Blendzall

There have been a few instances of RC planes losing a wing and landing safely.

Bill Hempel was the first one caught on video, this is probably the one you are thinking of. Then a young man from the SE US, Grider I think?? did it with a Cap, caught on tape, and lately the owner of a competing website did it as well. There's still no comparison with those feats and doing it with a full scale aerobat.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Deadeye

It's theoretically possible. I'm not a fake digital video expert, so I apologize if I came off as assinine by thinking it was real. Bill Hemple did it, and I've since done it on RealFlight a few times. If the plane has enough power, it could be done.

Whatever the case, it's a great piece of film.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 AM
lukesp

I say fake based on the voices alone without worrying about anything else. The voices sound underplayed for witnessing such an event if it was real and there is a sense of rehearsal to it. In most real videos of impending disaster there is quite an amount of expletives being thrown around as well. Not this wooden "run", "Nooooooooo!", "Amazing!" nonsense.

Whoever made it was pretty clever all the same.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Red B.

The movie may be a fake, but something similar has happened in real life. The late test pilot and aerobatic pilot Neil Williams (UK) had an incident with a Zlin aerobatic aircraft where one wing folded during flight. You can read the amazing story here: [link=http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/repeats/zlin_wing_failure.htm]http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/repeats/zlin_wing_failure.htm[/link]

Old 11-01-2008, 09:32 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster
I am completely shocked that this poll is only marginally lopsided. I would have thought it would be incredibly lopsided.

You can fool some of the people all of the time. And there are those you can never fool.
People, people, people. Maybe there's a way for the Magnificant Seven to recast their votes and save face.
"Save face" over a vote on a poll in a web forum?

I voted 'real' immediately after reading this to make it less lopsided.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:45 PM
SDCrashmaster

ORIGINAL: carrellh
I voted 'real' immediately after reading this to make it less lopsided.
Whew...I'm glad to know that at least not ALL of the votes for "Real" are what the voter actually believes.

This piece was done to promote a clothing company...KillaThrill. There are many discussions about this vid on the net.
Every one of them are about why it isn't real. I guess there are those that won't believe the truth until the creator of the piece actually makes the statement.
Fortunately, 75% of this poll voters won't be surprised.

Ask yourself this...would an actual event of this spectacular nature, that supposedly happened at a RedBull airracing event, have escaped the news media? Would there miraculously be only 1 guy with a handicam at this "RedBull" event?

It is a testiment to the artist abilities that the burden of proof lies with proving it fake. Most of these types of "con" clips are so weak that there's no question.
At least this one has people talking...WHICH IS PRECISELY WHY KILLATHRILL HAD IT DONE...for brand recognition. It's called Viral Marketing. It grows by itself.
You can't get that with a regular commercial/spot. Is it working...I think so as I've typed KillaThrill 3 times in this post alone.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:16 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The Ziln report is outstanding. All should go back and read it if you didn't already.

David
Old 11-02-2008, 11:58 PM
GRANT ED

As others have said. I can't believe people think this is real. The landing itself is a dead give away. Also if it were real it would have been all over the news. I have been on an aviation site where this video was disscussed. It was confirmed to be fake on that site.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Bass1

Geez, The next thing you know someone is going to ruin the Santa Clause thing for me also![>:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.