Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

OS's Fake Crankcase

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

OS's Fake Crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS's Fake Crankcase

Take a look at the FSR .10's case. It had the same Schneurle bulges cast in just like the .25, .40, .45, .60, .61 and .90 did. Now, remove the sleeve and look inside. It's a smooth cylinder. No boost ports machined into the case. The ports in the sleeve extend down into the case to receive the charge.

My guess is that OS wanted this engine to have the same outward appearance as the rest of the FSR line, so they cast a case with the fake bulges. There are three: one in front, one on the side and one on the back, just like the other FSR's, except these are all purely for looks.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74662.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1084545  
Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: OS's Fake Crankcase

RD, That extra material does help out when one of these guys hits the dirt at 60 mph. I'm always amazed by the punishment little model engines can withstand. The extra material also gives guys like Andy W. something to whittle on during the winter.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 PM
kersplat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Two of these and they are the same. Also the cylinder is cast, if you look at the transfer ports from the outside edges, you'll notice the rough finish. One thing I have noticed is mine turn up to 19,000 RPM on omega 10% with a MAS 7X4 wide blade. I have never seen an .09 or .10 that would do this.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 PM
rainedave

I just got this one for $16. I cleaned it up and I will run it tomorrow on Powermaster GMA 10/22 with the Rev Up 7x4 in the artsy photo. The Italians called that [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaroscuro]Chiaroscuro[/link]. It is a bit Caravaggesque.[8D] Man, I hope mine gets near 19K!

David

Name:	Om33769.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1084560  
Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 AM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The extra material also gives guys like Andy W. something to whittle on during the winter.
CP, almost made me drop my coffee....but 3:20AM????? You must be up chasing/studying bats?

Dave, Keep us posted how the run goes!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:12 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

It's not the only engine I've seen like this. You get an A. To get an A+, you need to notice that the bulges don't even match up to the ports in the liner. [sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-06-2008, 12:56 PM
rainedave

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

...To get an A+, you need to notice that the bulges don't even match up to the ports in the liner. [sm=confused.gif]
That's how I discovered it. The exhaust port is slightly to the back, not straight out the side, so when I compared the sleeve to the case I found out there are no passages in the case.

David
Old 12-06-2008, 02:58 PM
kersplat

Thunder tiger made a clone of this in the '70s. I don't think the metalurgy was as good as OS. Of course you know that this was the first OS to turn the liner in the schneurle engine to allow to use a cheaper floating wrist pin without snap rings. This engine was the guinea pig for the design.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:22 PM
rainedave

kersplat, when I first put the sleeve back in the case I had it lined up like a typical Schneurle (I was paying attention to the case bulges) and I wondered to myself what was going to keep the Teflon pads from catching in a port.

Then, when I looked into the exhaust port to line up the sleeve I saw that it must be rotated back several degrees. Sure enough, as you point out, this allows the pin to ride over bridges on the sleeve. This is when I removed the sleeve again and discovered that the bulges are only cosmetic. I can tell I followed in the same exact footsteps as you.

To be honest, I really hate removing and replacing pin clips on anything smaller than a forty. So, I'm glad this engine was designed this way.

David
Old 12-06-2008, 03:50 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

OK Dave, so you ran it today, but did you fly?

I'm in the shop putting togeather my next BuckShot just in case you mid-air me on the 31st. Come and git you some![>:]
Old 12-06-2008, 04:08 PM
rainedave

Man, I hate spoiling the hobby for other people. But, if losing is what yer after...

Name:	Vt57577.gif
Views:	25
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1084948  
Old 12-06-2008, 04:31 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

It's all paper an talk till the checker flag drops.

Looks good bud.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:47 PM
kersplat

Dave, have you run this engine yet? The reason why I ask is I dissassembled one of mine after a minor dork and cleaned the engine parts by rinsing without scrubbing and when I reassembled the engine the compression was not good. I didn't get the liner aligned exactly as before [:@] Pooh.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 PM
rainedave

Yes, I ran it earlier today. After reassembly the compression was down on mine, too, but after a few short runs it started coming back. I was careful to put the piston back in facing the same way it came out. I usually don't mess with honed piston/sleeve assemblies for this very reason. It starts easily and seems to run fine. I will run it some more tomorrow and get a tach reading. I use Powermaster GMA fuel with lots of castor in all my oldies and that seems to help with well worn engines. I may need to wear it back in and build up a little varnish to get it back where it was.

David
Old 12-06-2008, 05:25 PM
kersplat

Whew! that's good news
Old 12-08-2008, 10:50 AM
rainedave

Well, I think mine is just old and worn out. The best I could get on 5% nitro and an APC 7x4 was 15,825. That seems pretty weak. I'd certainly break 16K with 15% but not 17K.

David
Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 PM
kersplat

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Well, I think mine is just old and worn out. The best I could get on 5% nitro and an APC 7x4 was 15,825. That seems pretty weak. I'd certainly break 16K with 15% but not 17K.

David
Yeah, those are low numbers.