Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Wiring diagram for HL RX18 Board

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Wiring diagram for HL RX18 Board

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Alan123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring diagram for HL RX18 Board

Has anyone done a diagram or photo guide of how one connects the new HL RX18 board into a HL tank that did not have one before.

I am trying to do one at the moment and am having trouble working it all out and really need a guide for dummies because I am no good at this sort of thing at all and am likely to damage something.

It is the turret connections that are hard to work out, especially when one has a recoil unit installed.

I need to know which wire goes where.

Thanks

Alan.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Wiring diagram for HL RX18 Board

Here you go

[link=http://darkith.dyndns.org/~darkith/html/rx18.shtml]RX 18[/link]
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
j z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Alan. Atkliev had a similar post and bubbajoexx posted a pretty detailed photo diagram of what all the outputs are for. Look for upgrading to rx-18. Regards, JZ
Old 01-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Alan123

This is exactly what I needed. It even has notes for connecting the Tamiya things.

Thanks

Alan.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Alan123

Well the diagram could not have been that good as I have connected the turret turn and elevation units, powered on for a test and the RX18 smoked and is now no good. Thats $30 straight down the toilet. F'ken great!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:22 PM
darkith

Hrm,
Most of the diagram is correct, as it looks like it was mostly cribbed from the one I drew up, and I'm pretty sure of the information I traced out myself.

The turret and elevation wasn't on my diagram, and I see what looks like two errors, one in the speaker volume port, and another for the turret info. Should be one wire for elevation, one wire for fire (airsoft or recoil), and a common B+ wire for elevation and fire.
Based on other diagrams, I think it might be:
C: Elevate (switched negative)
D: Fire (switched negative)
E: Elevate & Fire (B+)

Though, I wouldn't have thought that that error would cause the board to smoke. Another possibility is the the key is backwards (e.g. A & H are backwards, B & G are backwards), which could have toasted the 5v regulator on the board from excessive current draw.

D.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Alan123

God is with me! After cup of tea and a rest I went back to my setup and the board must have somehow recovered as it now works again, but with that much smoke it can never be 100% of what it was.

Whats more I worked out where the error is. On turret elevation you have to use pin 3 and 5 (just like with an Elmod conversion which is what made me think of it), thats Blue D and E on the diagram not C and D as shown. I think you cover that in your last reply.

Pls do not be disheartened, the diagram is great and thanks a lot for producing it.

Any idea where to put the 2 wires that come off the Asiatam Recoil unit?

Cheers

Alan.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM
j z

Glad to hear your board is O.K. I was feeling sick to my stomach, I know all to well what it's like to finally have a new board arrive , only to have it detonate . Good luck . Regards, JZ
Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 PM
swathdiver

ORIGINAL: j z

Glad to hear your board is O.K. I was feeling sick to my stomach, I know all to well what it's like to finally have a new board arrive , only to have it detonate . Good luck . Regards, JZ
That's why you always buy 2! I was beginning to think with these great 14 and 18 boards it was ok to change my signature, looks like I'm going to change it back!
Old 01-09-2009, 04:41 PM
j z

I used to order many at a time. Then as I learned a little more, I must have gotten over confident with myself. These newer boards are almost fool proof, but until they make them idiot proof,I have to be on my guard. No James, I don't have spare boards. Regards, JZ
Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 PM
bubbajoexx

UPDATED DIAGRAM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59675.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1107112  
Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: j z

I used to order many at a time. Then as I learned a little more, I must have gotten over confident with myself. These newer boards are almost fool proof, but until they make them idiot proof,I have to be on my guard. No James, I don't have spare boards. Regards, JZ

Funny

I always have spare boards. Not because they Heng Long board are bad, more just because I am so stupid
Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 AM
philipat

I'm comparing the colored letter diagram and the one on Darkith's webpage and I have a couple of questions about the RX-18 board:

1) Where does the smoker switch go? Is it still integrated into the board like on the 13 and 14 boards? Or is that the green A/B? The Red A/B looks like the leads to the smoker itself. I don't think it's the main on/off switch because that goes on the positive lead between the battery and the board (sits between the light blue A/B).

2) If you order the RX-18 separately, does it come with the volume knob terminated in the correct plug? How about the smoker switch and power switch? I guess the latter two could be done with the jumpers that RC Command sells.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 AM
bubbajoexx

lime green a and b are the smoke switch the power switch is the one used on the original tank location