Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes it is a sport
34.43%
No it is just a hobby
60.66%
Other comment below
4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

2nd Hobby v. Sport Please read 1st post before voting

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:40 PM
weil0127

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Hobby v. Sport Please read 1st post before voting

Here in some information on how a sport is derfined. Please read and see if it changes your mind from before. Then vote

1. The rules of the activity become standardized.(The sport has official rules applied whenever and wherever they are done.)

2. Official regulatory agencies take over rule enforcement(Governing bodies)

3. Organizational and technical aspects of the activity become important.(Sports occur under controlled conditions in which there are specific expectations for everyone involved.)

4. The learning of game skills becomes formalized.(participants must know the rules of the game.)

Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Metallover

Default RE: 2nd Hobby v. Sport Please read 1st post before voting

I don't get it. Do you mean you have the option to play a sport or get a new hobby? What is the new hobby? I'm assuming you're talking about rc...
Old 02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: Metallover

I don't get it. Do you mean you have the option to play a sport or get a new hobby? What is the new hobby? I'm assuming you're talking about rc...
I think he means that this is the second "hobby vs sport" thread he has made. He wants to know if the added information affects the poll results at all.

Although you could make the case that competitive R/C racing falls under the above definitions to one degree or another, I still wouldn't personally think of it as a sport. There are many things in life that could technically fit those guidlines that aren't sports. Just my opinion, and I voted as such.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Chris_RC

It is definitly a sport for someone like me. But it is a hobby for someone who only runs it in his spare time. I make time to maintain/race my cars and put as much time and effort into it as I would sports.

And the governing bodies are ROAR and IFMAR.

Bascially, if you race-sport. If you bash-hobby
Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Mekong

Its just a toy...
Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Druss

Sorry but based on those definitions alone, spelling bees and chess are sports...

I still vote not a sport.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 PM
stampedinIT

i stand by my previous post/vote. not at all a sport
Old 02-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Wild YFZ 450

There toys if you think that this is a sport.. You are probably obese .. This is just a hobby.. It is no where near a sport.. Go do something like motorcross football ice hockey ETC..
Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 PM
dacaur

If RC is a sport simply because it matches those category's.....

I guess spelling bee's are a sport...

Chess would definitely be a sport....

"Dungeons and Dragons" (the board/card game) is a sport if all that's required is to fit your rules above...

Edit - lol, i posted before reading the other replies, druss beat me too it
Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Wild YFZ 450

There toys if you think that this is a sport.. You are probably obese .. This is just a hobby.. It is no where near a sport.. Go do something like motorcross football ice hockey ETC..
I have NEVER seen a toy that was thounsands of dollars. Can you tell me one that is a toy? Toys are the ones you get at walmart for $25, not the ones where you have to cut communtators, use transponders, rebuild shocks and diffs, use lipo batteries and miniture engines. If these were scale, they would no doubt outperform real scale vehicles. So people make over $100,000 a year just by playing with toys?

LOL, I am definitly NOT obese. I have dirtbikes, I play sports, ETC. [sm=bananahead.gif] But nothing IMO is funner than rc racing.

I wouldnt base to see if RC was a sport just by some dictionary definition.

Conviced? If not, i got more coming!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC
I have NEVER seen a toy that was thounsands of dollars. Can you tell me one that is a toy? Toys are the ones you get at walmart for $25, not the ones where you have to cut communtators, use transponders, rebuild shocks and diffs, use lipo batteries and miniture engines. If these were scale, they would no doubt outperform real scale vehicles. So people make over $100,000 a year just by playing with toys?
Dirtbikes, four wheelers, sand rails, drag cars, rock crawlers, etc, etc.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Access

The rules the OP gives for what a 'sport' is are flawed.
But it only makes a not-a-sport if you use those rules.

If the OP wanted to talk about game theory, he should've just said so.

> 1. The rules of the activity become standardized.(The sport has official rules applied whenever and wherever they are done.)

Negative.

> 2. Official regulatory agencies take over rule enforcement(Governing bodies)

Negative. ROAR has little to no effect over 95% of the players. Not everyone is a racer, and for the far majority of racers out there, decisions are made by the club, not some kind of official agency. There isn't any other significant governing body besides ROAR.

> 3. Organizational and technical aspects of the activity become important.(Sports occur under controlled conditions in which there are specific

Not really.

> 4. The learning of game skills becomes formalized.(participants must know the rules of the game.)

Rules?

This is a total mis-application of game theory. The only defining rule is 'have fun'.
Under his definition of "sport", there is almost nothing that qualifies BTW.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 PM
04DarkShadowGT

LOL, I am definitly NOT obese. I have dirtbikes, I play sports, ETC. [sm=bananahead.gif] But nothing IMO is funner than rc racing.

There are a helluva lot of toys that cost over $1000. Heck I have two toys that cost over $10,000 each and I spend alot of time maintaing them since both are supercharged. So does that make me an athlete when I drive them?

Driving an RC car is not a sport, no matter how much time you spend doing it.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
transam388

To me this is both. I see a sport as anything that does require physical hand / eye coordination. To me the rule and governing body thing is semantics. To me when I see all this boom in poker and that being played on sports channels I cannot stand it. Poker is a GAME, not a sport. Chess is a GAME, not a sport. Again, maybe it is me but for something to be a sport there must be some type of physical coordination. Pool is a sport as it requires muscle coordination to accomplish as does driving an R/C well. This is just my view but yes I see this as both a hobby and a sport.

When I have seen drivers who are just stellar in their skill I am amazed. Now this is not to say things that require high concentration like chess or other things are not difficult and deserve their due respect but again that is a game and not a sport.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Troggie

From Mutliple sources.. but pulled from Wikipedia ( Yes I know it is not the best source)

Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. Sports differ from games based on levels of organization and profit (not always monetary). Accurate records are kept and updated, while failures and accomplishments are widely announced in sport news.

Under that definition Sponsored RC racers would be considered participating in a Sport.. I see this more as a hobby with the possibility of being a sport in the respect of the skillful physical activity being the hand eye coordination necessary to be a world class driver. If you think Hand/eye is not really what a sport consists of look at table tennis.. yes there is some body movement but at the pro level it is more about hand/eye coordination.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Krazy Chicken

rc in general isn't a sport, but the part with racing and rock crawlers is...

... basically its all based on opinion
Old 02-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Wild YFZ 450

People can make $100,000 dollars a year playing chess or anything does that make it a sport?...I consider my quads TOYS and I have over 10 grand in them...just because something cost a lot doesn't mean it isn't a toy..
Straight from Dictionary.com Toys-An amusement; a pastime: thought of the business as a toy.
I am amused by my RC's I have more then enough into this hobby and Yes I consider them toys..
Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Druss

I have to agree that just because you spend time doing it and because it takes skill and because you can make money does NOT make it a sport.

There are prizes of over $100,000 pounds in england for billiards, there are 2-3 computer gamers in the world that make over $100,000 a year playing COMPUTER GAMES.

Here is my easy definition of whether it's a sport or not. If the exertion (not from standing in the sun) but actual physical activity makes you sweat and there is some sort of rule system and organization then it's a sport. Please don't try to convince me that standing on a platform for hours is physical activity because you sweat, I sweat from just sitting on the beach in Hawaii but that's not a sport either.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 PM
dacaur

I consider anything that I use to have fun a Toy. My RC cars, heli's, and planes are toys..... Boats, four wheelers, dirt bike's, sport bikes, etc, are all toys. Any car that cant hold more than 2 people is a toy..... Like they say, you never stop playing with toys, they just cost more when you grow up....
Old 02-10-2009, 11:06 PM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

I've been racing motocross for +30 years , and have reached up into the pro classes for the last 15 of them. I ran a huge indoor MX track up here in the NW for 3-1/2 years and was a personal trainer for the sport. Countless injuries ( with my last one costing a $130,000.00 and two week strapped to a breathing machine) , with wrestling for 11 years , played football , baseball , basketball...you name it...i have probably at least tried it. NOTHING has ever worked me as hard as racing MX , and if you look up what type of physical conditioning you need to race competitive MX....we are right up there with tri-athlets. With all that being said , NO , RC is not a sport! And neither is Poker , chess or stupid video games....but for some reason Poker and chess make it onto ESPN?? I still don't get that...but whatever.

I will say this though....RC , has a "sport" like feel to it , because of the competition involved in doing it. It gets you completely focused , and is a great "hobby to be in. Someone mentioned above that because it costs so much money , it should be considered a sport....sorry but that's wrong! I love driving my little RC cars , and YES i raced the 1/8 offroad for quite a while. But it doesn't even compare to the multi thousands of dollars i have wrapped up into my 30%-40% aerobatic aircraft! You are talking about $3500.00 - $7000.00 per airplane in some cases.....do i think it's a sport?...NO! It's an extremely expensive hobby. I think what confuses some people is seeing stupid board games on ESPN , they automatically think RC is a sport. It's a great , REALLY GREAT hobby , and is good for any person to get into , for the aspect of learning new things , learning how to become good , learning how to become a good sportsman , and learning how to help your fellow competitor.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14492.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1132669  
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Chris_RC

I shouldnt of said the money part! []

transam388, you beat me to it about the hand eye cordination!

Like I said, I think the average joe basher would be a hobby to them, but the competative racer would be a sport. Tell me how flipping over cars and running to the pits when someone flames out for 45 minutes does not make you sweat!

Lets just throw away that money part, ok?

To Access, you bring up my point again about ROAR. 95% of people who own a rc car will never go to the track (). That would be the people who thinks it is a hobby. Most clubs have a "run what you bring" policy, but they wont allow you to run a Mamba system and 3s lipo in stock class. ROAR is just a baseline.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Wild YFZ 450

I shouldnt of said the money part! []

transam388, you beat me to it about the hand eye cordination!

Like I said, I think the average joe basher would be a hobby to them, but the competative racer would be a sport. Tell me how flipping over cars and running to the pits when someone flames out for 45 minutes does not make you sweat!

Lets just throw away that money part, ok?

To Access, you bring up my point again about ROAR. 95% of people who own a rc car will never go to the track (). That would be the people who thinks it is a hobby. Most clubs have a "run what you bring" policy, but they wont allow you to run a Mamba system and 3s lipo in stock class. ROAR is just a baseline.
RC IS NOT A SPORT NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WANT IT TO BE...
Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RC Cars are an ADDICTION!!!!!!![sm=what_smile.gif]
Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Chris_RC

Should I ask Adam Drake about this and see what he says?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:21 AM
ElectricGuy007

For racers its a sport, for bashers it's a hobby. Someone already said that before.
Any type of racing is classified as a sport, even BMX and skateboarding. If you watch XGames that's an example.
When you race you have to be competitive, otherwise pull as many laps as you can within the time limit.
IFmar Start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.