Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:17 PM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

It looks like Hangar 9 is coming out with a really nice new P-51. Nice scale features including flaps, struts and panel lines.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN2420

Old 03-27-2009, 09:12 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

Looks like they copied the world models 60 size mustang. same basic color scheme except the world mustang is Petie 2. the world mustang flies very well. the new hangar 9 is a little closer to scale looking in some areas. The world mustang is $250.

I have flown the world mustang for 3 years now- great flying warbird. i wish H90 had chosen a different scheme - I would have bought it. no reason to buy anopthe mustang with the same scheme though- unless I crash the world models!!

Ed Mullen

the world models stats per their ad:

P-51 Mustang 1/7 Scale (A155)
Wing span: 64.5 in. Wing area: 755 sq.in. Fuselage length: 56 in. Flying Weight: 8.4 lbs. Engine: .91 4 stroke Radio: 6 channel 7 servos
$249.99
Item # A155

Old 03-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't believe there is another Mustang Arf being released. Talk about saturating the market.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:53 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the Mustang market is certainly saturated. Looks like they (Hangar 9) are trying to compete head to head with Top Flite.
But if Hangar 9 really want's me to buy another ARF: better come out with a Zero.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Yes Yes ! I second that........ another zero please ! LOL
Old 03-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does look nice I must say... and for an electric it will be great with that huge hatch for packs.. I like it
I hope they do the P-47 like this too

Ron
Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 AM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another mustang, and with nearly identical markings as the WM .60 plane. It looks as though they may be using a similar coveruing to Kyosho or VQ with the rivit lines and other markings already on the plane.
I do however I really like the .60 size planes however, and glad to see they've got flaps, but I guess they do their market research in a vacuum.
A USNavy Wildcat, Russian YAK, German 109G model, or Jap KI84 ...any of those would make for a refreshing change, and you know sales would go through the roof.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 AM
NoFlaps

I completely agree, but there are some great innovations on this plane which are a nice change, The obvious one is the access hatch, but what i really like are the concealed control arms for the flaps and tail surfaces...take a look at the rear hatches near the tail...Looks like the servos are in t6he same H9 location, but no arms or wires to be seen.
alsdo check out the extended flaps. and the servos built into each landing gear...very interesting ![8D]
I'm guessing that the spinner come with this one too, giben it's color and prominance in the pic.
The cowl shape insn't bad either.

Now if they'd just apply these ideas to a differnt plane.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:34 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: NoFlaps

I completely agree, but there are some great innovations on this plane which are a nice change, The obvious one is the access hatch,.............................The cowl shape insn't bad either.

Now if they'd just apply these ideas to a differnt plane.
Doesn't look that innovative to me: Top Flite Mustang ALSO has a battery access hatch, so the H-9 is not the 1st.
On the other hand: that cowl DOES have a much more scale profile than the Top Flite.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:20 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

I saw this plane at Toledo and spent quite a bit of time not only looking at the mustang but talking to one of the Hanger 9 reps as well. Hanger 9 did a good job on this one, It replaces their existing 60 size and with hanger 9 discontinuing the 1.20 size this will be the only Mustang they offer (if you don't count the trainer). Some of the neat features about this plane that haven't been mentioned are the spinner not only matches the color of the plane perfectly it's also an aluminum spinner with a plastic type coating, not paint. The spinner also covers the aluminum back plate which is much more scale. As mentioned the covering is a new product for hanger 9. The rep said it is Ultracoat and is applied as you typically have in the past. All the graphics are printed in the covering with the exception of just a couple and they are the nose art, the pilots name and the tail insignias, and here is the neat part, there will be several stickers to choose from along with completely different tails to switch the identity of the plane. Also Gone will be the days glow fuel loosens most of the military stickers from the sides of the plane. The retacts are way above and beyond the quality of the typical mechanical retracts found on all other 60 size arfs, hands down. I bought a Top Flite kit along with a set Century retracts but I might be interested in postponing that project for a while and go with this Arf sometime soon.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 PM
ProScaleRc

I' not fan of Hanger 9 models, but I think it looks good. Nice finishing. I'm just building a TF GS P-51 with a DA 50, but if this one become available in Australia I'll purchse one as a weekend flyer.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Dora Nine

I'm suprised to see such little chat about this plane. H9 really took some big steps in the right direction on this one.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:28 AM
NoFlaps

MAybe it's because they chose a plane that has been mass produced by so many othher companies, that the market is literally saturated with the variant, not to mention that it's more expensive than the TF version, regardless if struts are included. Just a thought of why it could be.
I'm not really a P-51D guy, but if I were, I'd probably buy a cheaper version at 1/2 the price of the new H9 (regardless of it's new features)and bash it into something comperable.
But that'd only my opinion. I do think it's a beautiful plane, but a 120 size plane isn't much more. Perhaps I'd change my mind if I flew/ had one .
Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 AM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

Woooohh.... Discontinueing the 120 size??!! Do you mean the 150 size? Say it aint so. I'm just about to build one of these 150 size. Say it aint so....[X(]
Old 04-09-2009, 04:37 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I like it , I am really glad to see the attention to the scale counter balances in the tail ect , its really a pet peev of mine , especially on the arfs P40 when they give you a spitfire tail on a P40 ect .
I know its another P51 but its a much nicer one and I think it will sell well
Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: NoFlaps
MAybe it's because they chose a plane that has been mass produced by so many othher companies, that the market is literally saturated with the variant,.......................
To add to that: it yet another P-51D. Comparatively speaking, if you MUST market yet another Mustang: why not a P-51B, or better yet: a P-51A/ A-36?
Let's see: '60 size Mustangs
Top Flite kit
Top Flite ARF
Sig P-51D kit
Sig P-51B ARF
Hangar 9 (old)
Hangar 9 (new)
Various Chinese and eastern 3rd world countries (several)

And then there's Royal/ Marutaka: they used to produce Mustangs in 5 different sizes ( and all of them 'D's)
Jemco/ Master Scale (1 of only 2 kits ever produced under the Master Scale banner)

That all said, it's really difficult to get exited about this one.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:14 PM
tony-howard
My Feedback: (224)

Looking at the photos of the new Mustang it apprears the exhaust manifolds fall a bit short (for some reason they're one of my favorite discussion items about the Mustang!).

I would like to make an exhaust kit up for it, so here's an offer:

For the first builder with a cowl in hand who will loan me their cowl, I'll return it with an exhaust kit at no charge and pay the postage both ways. I would need it for only a week at most - probably less - and the cowl will be returned unmarked.

PM me when you're ready to send it and we can work out the details.

Thanks,
Old 04-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

I mentioned in another thread what I thought about the saturation of Hanger 9 and their Mustangs. I too am not interested... and am waiting for Hanger 9 or Great Planes to come out with a few Axis birds to go up against all those P-51's in a mock dogfight. A Zero, George, FW-190 D-9 or Fw-190 would be very nice.

I like the Top Flights P-51... it's very nice. A fellow in my club has one and the only thing I can do is get the Kyosho Fw-190 to go up against it. The scales are way off... but oh well.

I ran some Polls a while ago and Hanger 9 and Great Planes are well aware that they are lacking Axis planes and they are going to bring the issue up in their next meeting on what to design next.

Hanger 9 should have done it right in the beginning instead of flooding the market with there Mustangs. They should have discontinued one before putting out the other. Also I don't know why they didn't come out with a more scale accurate P-51 in the first place... but again why people conduct business the way they do always baffles me.

Great Planes and Hanger 9 was very happy to see the Polls... maybe they should have people come to RCU and ask what we would like to see come out then just pushing a product out thinking we as a whole will go nuts about it.

I too won't be buying this P-51.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:44 PM
bladerunner1955
My Feedback: (72)

Hey Ron, Don the other electric guy here. Have you or anyone seen a picture of the new Top Flight P-47 yet???? Tower keeps saying next month,next month. I hear it is going to look like the one they picture for the kit they have,razor back and silverish with a red and white rudder,,,,am I starting a rummor for the color here???????
Blade,
PS Hey Ron I just picked up a new never flown Yellow aircraft P-47 razor back.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
LDM

Top Flight also responded to another guy on RCU that there in the final test for the arf gold edition P40 , I have seen the responce myself or I would not have believed it !!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 PM
DirtTorpedo

Well... as i'm in the market for a P-51.... this entry is at about the right time....

I've been eyein the Sig P-51B thruthfully.. but if the retract units on this are any good... it may be the way I go, especially being the built in Electiflying capability!

HOWEVER... I DO agree there are just TOO many p-51's...

A Yak-9U would be VERY appreciated, being thats my main ride in Aces High II
Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM
charlie1960

A Soviet Mig-3 would be nice too....
Altho i am a die hard Mustang fan....i would probably buy a Mig
As far as im concerned, the North American P51 in any model...be it A B C D or any others where/are the epitomy of piston engined perfection

I fly a World Models P-51 too....and she's looking beaten. Maybe time for a NEW one
Old 04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
jmohn

I agree another P51D...come on do a "B" or "C" model at least. A Mig-3 or LA-7 would be nice. How about a German or Japanese plane...any model

Having said that, it is a nice looking plane and like most H9 planes I am sure it will fly well.

Jeff
Old 04-10-2009, 02:39 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: Luftwaffe Oberst
.................. Also I don't know why they didn't come out with a more scale accurate P-51 in the first place... but again why people conduct business the way they do always baffles me..........................
The first 'wave' of Hangar 9 warbird ARFs were built to be VERY easy to fly, and I think they succeeded very well in that respect. There are a whole lot more warbirds pilots now, thanks to the H-9 ARFs.
This new Mustang marks a departure from the 'cheap and easy to fly' warbirds that 'put them on the map', and I hope they continue to develope BOTH types of lines (cheap/ easy to fly AND more expensive/ detailed/ scale authentic).

With all my U.S. Pacific fighters, I'm hanging on to my money until some-one (preffably Hangar 9) comes out with a Zero.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:27 PM
LDM

"The first 'wave' of Hangar 9 warbird ARFs were built to be VERY easy to fly" I could not agree more , my H9 corsair gave me the confidence to move onto heavier warbirds but its still one on my favoriate planes to fly !!!.
Now onto this P51 , deep down I know that everyone in this post is a warbird fan and while we all want differant (me too) I still have a place for a beauty that is finsihed so well , has so much attention to details and is not overally prices . IN addition you cant ask for a better company that backs there products then H9

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.