Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

SPORTSMEN, ELECTRIC SOARING, AND THE LSF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

SPORTSMEN, ELECTRIC SOARING, AND THE LSF

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Jim Deck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPORTSMEN, ELECTRIC SOARING, AND THE LSF

In response to requests to develop a soaring accomplishment program (SAP) for soaring pilots that do not wish to include competition in the program, the LSF Board has developed a plan/program variation to address these needs. The details of the program may be found very soon on the LSF website (www.silentflight.org).

The board has also developed a plan to include electric-assist launch as a valid method to launch a sailplane for the purposes of accomplishing tasks included in the SAP.

As required by the LSF bylaws, any change to the SAP must follow a process that is outlined in the bylaws.

To that end the board will:
1. Post the LSF Board proposal for a modified SAP on the LSF website
2. Post the LSF Board proposal for electric-assist launch on the LSF website
3. Request comments and/or alternate proposals by LSF members for a period of 30 days after the LSF Board proposals are posted on the web site.
4. Evaluate comments and counter proposals for a period of 14 days following the close of the 30 day comment period.
5. Determine the final proposed changes to the SAP.
6. Submit the final proposals to a vote by the LSF 4 and 5 members (per the bylaws), requiring a simple majority to pass
7. The result of the vote will be communicated to the membership at large and (if passed) the proposal(s) will be incorporated into the bylaws.

On behalf of the LSF Board,
Jim Deck LSF Secretary

Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: SPORTSMEN, ELECTRIC SOARING, AND THE LSF

Jim,

I am very excited about the proposed changes. Looks good!
Old 04-19-2009, 04:55 AM
aeajr

RCU members, anyone have any comments on this?

I am an LSF member, so I posted a note to the board.

Create a Sportsman program - yes

Allow e-glider launch for sportsman program - yes

Modify current program to allow electric launch - no
Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

I fly my electric alot since our field size is not glider friendly not to say our club does not like Gliders. Now I have looked at the LSF site and I am quite interested but being as Gliders are hard to get launched at my field I always use electric .
Now I see a few rules concerning this as not to take away from the nonpowered issue I am all for it. But how would one determine how high I mean Ok Highstarts are limited to string and rubber length and winchs the same but electrics vary according to power some can climb at silly rate. I would love to see this happen as it would allow me to start my Journey up the levels !!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:21 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: roboto65

I fly my electric alot since our field size is not glider friendly not to say our club does not like Gliders. Now I have looked at the LSF site and I am quite interested but being as Gliders are hard to get luanched at my field I always use electric .
Now I see a few rules concerning this as not to take away from the nonpowered issue I am all for it. But how would one determine how high I mean Ok Highstarts are limited to string and rubber length and winchs the same but electrics vary according to power some can climb at silly rate. I would love to see this happen as it would allow me to start my Journey up the levels !!!!

In order to do this height limited launch you would have to take one of two approaches:

1) Guess - you put a recording device in your glider. You make some number of climbs and you time time them, each on a fresh pack. Now you read what the altitude device recorded. You can gague pretty well how long you can run in order to hit 600 feet. Maybe it is 10 seconds, maybe it is 2 minutes. Depends on your power set-up. Of course if you use this approach you better plan to cut early because when you turn in the flight record, if your climb went to 601 feet, your 30 minute thermal fight can not be used for the task requirements.

2) Automated cut - A device that is connected to your ESC. It is just like the altitude recording device but it has an extra feature. You set it to cut at a specific altitude. When you hit that height, it cuts the motor and off you go hunting for thermals. These devices exist today, but they are pretty new. Some cut by height, some by altitude and some can do both. At least that is what I am told.

If the LSF proposal passes as written, in order to use an e-glider for your tasks, you will have to turn in a log of the flight which also shows the launch height under motor power.

Not a bad appraoch to trying to make things equal for pure and e-glider being used for the same tasks. Personally I like it a lot!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 PM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

Oh I totally agree have to keep it level for sure I am just happy to see something like this happen as it means I get to practice more and more and have a goal...
Old 06-19-2009, 07:41 AM
aeajr

Jim,

Can you provide an update of any kind?