RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   YA Starfire II setup (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/8700826-ya-starfire-ii-setup.html)

kmtranmd 04-20-2009 11:24 PM

YA Starfire II setup

I have the YA Starfire II manual, but there's no advise on control throws setup. I will fly it off low cut grass, 750 ft runway with usually some crosswind. Power is OS 91DF/Dynamax fan at 14 lbs dry, 24 oz of fuel total. Need advise on amount of flap deflection for good take off and amount for landing, flying and landing elevator throws (low/high DR). Please share your experience with this popular plane.

jedijingle 04-20-2009 11:44 PM

RE: YA Starfire II setup

You need to talk to Shaun Evans AKA Yellowaircraft. Just do a search for the members on RCU. Look at one of his past posts and at the bottom of the post will have his phone number. Give him a call he can help you out.

Scott Ramberg 04-21-2009 08:12 AM

With that long of a runway and crosswind I would try landing it without the flaps at first. Those big intakes slow it down a lot and it lands like a ***** cat. Make sure the motor idles down though. It doesn't take much to keep it flying(floating). I had two of these a while ago. They are great fliers.

Good luck!

Shaun Evans 04-21-2009 10:50 AM

Hi,

Your manual ought to have the control throws on either the second or last page. I don't remember what it advises, but I used 3/4" on the elevators and 1/2"-3/4" on the rest. For flaps, you can use as much as 40 degrees, depending on your weight and how steep you want to descend on landing. The flaps are fun to use on takeoff and you can get the bird up in a very short distance with them off of grass. You'll love flying it. It's really fast!

kmtranmd 04-21-2009 11:33 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I expect this will be a lot easier to get off the ground than my Byron F16 with OS91/Byron fan setup. No flap setup on the Byron and had to use all of the runway to barely get it off the grass.

Shaun Evans 04-22-2009 11:17 AM

Hi,

Well, by that standard, yes! I've taken Starfires off of grass so thick that the wheels were completely obscured by it. When you drop those flaps down a bit, you'll get it off the deck lickety-split...

tlj125 04-22-2009 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a turbine powered Starfire that I have been flying for years. Would it help to tell you my throws? Mine flys fine off grass. Even very thick grass. I recently took off from grass so thick you could not see the wheels or struts. Looked like a very low pass. This is my back-up jet. Been through the war if you know what I mean. Has short take-off on pavement- 150 ft maybe. And then it goes straight up as far as you want it to go. Top speed aroung 160-170 mph maybe. Lands around 25-30 mph. I have landed and stopped within 250 ft. Usually take about 400 ft mostly do to uneven braking of BVM brakes. It's a classic.