Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

team magic good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 AM
oshaym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default team magic good or bad

hey im about to order my team magic m8 but was just wondering is it worth getting
Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
clifton421

Default RE: team magic good or bad

I don't know. I have never seen one run but I would like to. There was alot of hype around this buggy when it first came out but I don't think many people liked it.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:06 PM
oshaym

i was just wondering i came across there website and gave them a call talked to someone about there products i never heard of them myself from what i seen the car looks built very well and there giving a deal on it but i dont want to buy trash thank anyway
Old 05-16-2009, 11:29 AM
unsp0ken

there was some durability issues with the m8s i think. btw, if you wanna go team magic, go with the b8rs. it's their newest gen buggy and has less issues than the m8s (at least from what i've read). it's priced like $2 more on wolfhobbies lol. might as well go for the newer one. seems like a good performer, but might want to do some research on what bugs it might have.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:02 PM
oshaym

i have been looking everwere for reveiws cant find to much on there buggies but theres stuff here and there on there road cars
Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 PM
dandrat

did you get one? what do you think
Old 08-07-2009, 01:55 AM
HomeDawwg

might be a bit late but in the nitro offroad section of rctech.net, there is a thread about the team magic buggies which would help
Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Nesal

I have read a lot about them here in Europe and people say the M1 is crap, the M8 is good, durable and fast and the M8RS is definitely the best, very fast and very durable 0 issues, I can link you to the spanish forum but I dont know what youre Spanish is like!! let me know!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:18 PM
dandrat

no spanish speaking here but thanks anyway. also I do know about the rctech thread and infact I personally have the B8rs. even on the rctech forum there just isnt alot of community for this buggy. I fixed some issues with this buggy that know one has talked about for instance. yeah the buggy is fast, and reliable once you make some cheap and easy changes. I seem to be the only person still talking about this buggy.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:09 PM
oshaym

dandrat hey is it worth getting and what kind of set up are you running and is there anywere to buy them thats cheaper the the company
Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Harvz

I have 2 M8 and I love it. Great handling and it has more steering on most buggies. The only thing I don't like about it is that you can't find parts anywhere or any LHS and the price of some parts are ridiclulely over price compare to most hight priced high end buggies. Like the steering hubs, drive axle and brakes are too expensive.
If you are going to buy the M8 you might get the front drive axle as well because the rear drive axle is too short and it keeps popping out from the diffferential cup. The front drive axle is a little longer.

[link=http://wolfhobbies.com]wolfhobbies.com[/link] the only website in the US you can buy the M8 and the parts. Don't get the M8JR
Old 08-09-2009, 03:48 PM
oshaym

hey harvz would you recommend this over the other 1/8 buggys out there i hear its fast i hear it handles and some say it need to be tweeked before you hit the track to get the flaws out of it but is it worth the money and what do you think the b8rs im trying to get into the race game but i dont want to buy a car spend another 80 to 100 dollars to put into it just so it can or should i say put it how it should have came out the box i called wolf hobbys they were going to put a rtr package together for me with the m8 for $550 but if the b8rs is a better car i would get that only like $3 more
Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 PM
dicko

I suggest you get a buggy that many others at your local track are racing. There's several reasons for this, 1, if you break a part & don't have one in you pit box, chances are someone else does & can help you out. 2, you'll be able to talk to others & compare your set up with theirs & get your buggy up to speed quicker. 3, there is a reason that that many people are running that buggy, most likely availability of parts in your area.

We had a local guy at our track buy a magic buggy a while ago, after breaking one thing in the 1st qualifier he was out for the day due to no spares, he wasn't happy. He didn't keep that buggy long before swapping to a more common buggy. I'm not saying the magic are bad at all, just saying you need the support to run them.

just my $0.02
Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 PM
dandrat

wolf hobbies is the US distributor and thats where you should buy the car but they dont have alot of B8rs parts. I buy my parts from a place called rcshopping.com . they are in taiwan and they have just about all of the parts and at better prices. the only problem is shipping is expensive so buy parts in bulk from them.
I run the setup that is on team magics website from some guy in portugal. the only difference is I run the stock rear shock instead of the softer ones in the setup. I tried the softer ones and once they broke in I found they made the car to sloppy.
I have had the buggy for 5 months now so Im pretty familiar with it. the problems I have had with the car comes from the plastic being soft causing things to come loose but The only real problem the car has is the shocks coming off. This is easily and cheaply fixed however( like $10 at most), so If you buy one let me know and I will walk you threw it.I also made a small steering mod because a bolt was rubbing. its not the highest quality car but certainly not junk ether. Its worth noting that the soft plastic has no negitive affect on the cars performance.
The B8rs is fast. believe the hype on that. most compare it to a rc8 and If you look at the shock geometry you can see why. it gets in and powers out of corners hard. its also very good threw the ruff.it stays low over jumps , at first this seemed bad but then you realize you can go up to jumps carrying more speed without overjumping.once you get "locked In" with the car you can almost push it like a truggy.Its a fun car to drive fast. I find it hard not to forgive the car for not being perfect just because its a great car when your driving it.Im glad I got it . Its not perfect ,and I find myself tighting bolts more often then my other buggies. once you work out a few things though, its solid. if you want to drive a buggy like a rally car you will really like this car lol.
I dont know anything about the m8 buggies. I never had the back drive shafts popping out on the B8rs for the record.I hope this helps you make an educated decision. let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM
oshaym

hey dandrat what motor /pipe are you running
Old 08-09-2009, 08:45 PM
dandrat

in proof reading my own post I see I made a mistake. the part in the setup I changed was keeping the stock shock SPRINGS in the rear.
I forgot to mention the B8rs is one of the lightest buggies on the market. everything is barebones in regards to weight. just thought I would mention it
Old 08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
dandrat

Im running a werks b3 with a 086 pipe and 1 tooth up on the clutch bell ( from 15 to 16). its a cheap combo and works great on anything but the largest tracks. I can run with much higher dollar setups with this combo most of the time.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:13 PM
oshaym

just got my team magic i went with the b8rs and i picked up a caster racing zx1.5r still waiting on them to come anybody like go engines im looking there 3 port race turbo or the werks 5b any info
Old 09-04-2009, 04:16 PM
dandrat

you seem to like the odd ball buggies dont you lol. I hear the caster handles like a mugen. As far as the B8rs , I would recommend spending some time with it on its own to become familiar with its feel because it doesnt handle quite like most buggies( adleast not with the setup I run) and I find it hard to drive another buggy and then turn around and drive the B8rs successfully. I think the Caster will probably be easier for you at first. The b8rs tends to demand a good pace to suit its handling in my experience. the b8rs is one of the new "ultra light " buggies and they are less forgiving.
anyway, on the B8rs The first thing I would recommend you do is red loctite the nuts that keep the shocks on the shock towers.make sure they are nice and tight also. The nuts are not lock nuts and they are of an odd size. If you lose them you will be sorry.
even though the car comes pre built for the most part be sure to loctite all metal to metal parts. the knuckles upfront in particular should have liberal use of loctite applied.
the bolts that hold the chassis supports like to come undone on this car even when you use blue loctite so I use red loctite. I dont know If i will ever get some of this stuff off again but its not coming off on its own lol.
the bottom of the back shocks ( of both the shocks and back arms ) is a weak point on this buggy , but it shouldnt start coming apart for awhile and its easy to fix permanently.

oshaym, I saw your posts on the caster thread so allow me to explain engine ports a little bit more. 3 port engines usually have a bottom to mid power band. 5 ports are usually jack of all trades and 7 ports are usually mid to top end power. I say "usually" because its not always that cut and dry. also pipes have an effect on the powerband and you can shift some of the powerband with them. if you use a top end pipe with a low to mid range engine(3 port) then you will have more top end for example( like my engine/pipe combo posted earlier).
I have never tried a GO engine but have heard good things. Im a little reluctant to try any engine not made in Italy though.
my brother just got a werks b5. he hasnt gotten it up to its potential yet but I can say it has excellent gas mileage so far. I'm a fan of werks engines. I have had great success with them ( i have 4 of them and they rip).