Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Rcbif's 31cc Ryobi Gasser Airboat Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 PM
rcbif

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rcbif's 31cc Ryobi Gasser Airboat Project

Thought I'd share on this forum too (got this project on 2 others). Most of the stuff in this first post is coppy and pasted from the other forums

Boat is based on Cajun Gator's plans, but I did allot of tweaking. Motor will be a ryobi 31cc swinging an 16x8 prop to start with. Overall legnth is 45in and 23in wide and 3.5 inches tall. I made this prototype with hotglue and lots of cardboard. Glad I did because I ended up adjusting the front where it gets narrow. Cardboard is cheaper than 1/8 inch plywood.

yes, that is a pede in the background......

work started with free 1/8 ply. Got a 4x8 sheet free from home depot. They use it as packing material.

boat as of june 15, got skeleton mostly done, next I will drill weight savings holes and the attach the bottom hull piece. My turtle posing next to the frame.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rcbif's 31cc Ryobi Gasser Airboat Project

Recommend Not drilling the weight saving holes. You will aready be on the lite side, and the wood that you are using, you will need the extra strength. When you build the engine stand, use good wood and make sure that it is tied in really good. The stand takes the most abuse on the airboats, lots of jerking and slamming around, the weight of the engine with the added leverage has a lot of stactic force. Its a good idea to also use fiber-glass tape/cloth inside where the bottom meets the side.
 Your build looks really good, make sure to keep posting pics and get a vid when your done.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:35 PM
rcbif

ORIGINAL: Mr Cajun Gator

Recommend Not drilling the weight saving holes. You will aready be on the lite side, and the wood that you are using, you will need the extra strength. When you build the engine stand, use good wood and make sure that it is tied in really good. The stand takes the most abuse on the airboats, lots of jerking and slamming around, the weight of the engine with the added leverage has a lot of stactic force. Its a good idea to also use fiber-glass tape/cloth inside where the bottom meets the side.
Your build looks really good, make sure to keep posting pics and get a vid when your done.
The longer 2 pieces (not sure what their called) that run back to front are 5.2mm plywood ( or something crazy between 1/8 and 1/4) . It's 1/3 heavier than the 1/8 stuff. Would you still not recomend the holes? I mostly just used it because I couldnt get my 1/8 ply to cut against the grain, and I didnt want to go to home depot to see if they have more. I tried all diffrent typed of methods for cuting, like taping, thick paint, scoring ect, ect. Anyway, my new strategy will be to just get a piece of wood with the grain going the right way for most of my cut, since it's free anyway.

I have some very dense, high quality 1/8 plywood I got as a sample. I will use this to make "Tabs" that will stick out above the deck where the motor stand will go. I'm kinda taking it one step at a time so my plan is to put some thing like the picture below there, so I can build a stand to bolt onto it later. I plan to fiberglass the mounting tab area too, to make that area extra strong.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

The taps will work fine, best to also tie into the bottom and the longitude frames. Make sure that the grain is going long ways with everything. You will still be ok weight wise with the 5.2mm plywood. Tip on cutting thin plywood, bimetal or metal blade, fine tooth, also apply thin CA alone where you are planning to make your cut. The thin CA will soak into the wood grain hold it together and stopping most of the splitting.On the taps, laminate 2 of the 1/8 that you are planing to use, but cross grain the 2, this makes for a much strong plywood. It wood not hurt to laminate 3 of the 1/8 plys for the tabs, with the center ply cross grained to the other plys.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:03 PM
rcbif

Here's where I'm at now. Got the skeleton glued down to the hull bottom, tomorrow I'll pull up and glue the front.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:25 AM
rcbif

Here I am as of now, attaching the sides to the boat. Kinda tricky due to lack of support in the rake. Gotta make sure everything is symmetrical. Full size washing machine in background gives you an Idea of the size.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Looks good.
Like the way your hiding your name inside of the hull.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:41 AM
rcbif

Looks good.
ha, ya, that was just some epoxy resin I was testing out, so it will be covered later. Although I'll probably do something more permanent later. Once I get all the sides on, I'm going to use some fiberglass cloth on any seam where the hull is epoxied to the skeleton. I was suggested to not Fiberglass the outside, and to use epoxy resin only on the outside. I'll then begin the difficult task of figuering out the engine mounts, prop cage mounts, radio box, linkages, and fuel tanks.

I got some questions for you Mr Cajun Gator, about your building methods

1. Do you use any fiberglass on the outsides of your hulls/ other protection?
2. Where to mount the fuel tanks? I was thinking about the last box area that as my name in it. Wasn't sure how high the tank has to be.
3. My cg should be at 1/4 - 1/3 off the transom, correct? I'm doing a puller set-up, should this effect the cg?
4. Do you run any flotation in your hulls?

I'll have plenty more ?'s later. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 AM
rcbif

I re-enforced the hull seams with fiberglass cloth and a few other points. Once I put the engine mounts on I'll do more. Still trying to decide whether to make the main mount able to unbolt from the hull (modular) , or keep it one piece for strength and not be removable. Also gotta design the motor mount, as where the cog should be, the motor should be right behind the last bulkhead or above it.

As of now, this little piggy weights 5.8 pounds

Old 08-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

ORIGINAL: rcbif

Looks good.
ha, ya, that was just some epoxy resin I was testing out, so it will be covered later. Although I'll probably do something more permanent later. Once I get all the sides on, I'm going to use some fiberglass cloth on any seam where the hull is epoxied to the skeleton. I was suggested to not Fiberglass the outside, and to use epoxy resin only on the outside. I'll then begin the difficult task of figuering out the engine mounts, prop cage mounts, radio box, linkages, and fuel tanks.

I got some questions for you Mr Cajun Gator, about your building methods

1. Do you use any fiberglass on the outsides of your hulls/ other protection?
No... I use a chem-guard epoxy paint then top coat with paint.
2. Where to mount the fuel tanks? I was thinking about the last box area that as my name in it. Wasn't sure how high the tank has to be.
If your carb is a walbro or something like it, it more than likely has a fuel pump, built in. I place my tanks forward of the radio box, sometimes under the front deck.
3. My cg should be at 1/4 - 1/3 off the transom, correct? I'm doing a puller set-up, should this effect the cg?
Set your engine so that the prop is just front side of the last bulkhead.
4. Do you run any flotation in your hulls?
No....Just many air compartments
I'll have plenty more ?'s later. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:02 PM
rcbif

Got some work done on the upright engine mounts. Guess the rudders are next, I'll re-enforce some stuff later too.

Mock-up

Old 08-20-2009, 05:34 PM
redlined_b16a

Man this looks awesome
Old 08-20-2009, 09:16 PM
asmithnc

Tell me more about the engine mounting bracket. Custom or off the shelf.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 AM
rcbif

The aluminum bracket the motor bolts onto is made by wackerengines.com for the ryobi
Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 PM
rcbif

Mounted the motor today and tested her out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmnKiX63iT0
Old 11-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Lester Burch

What type of prop are you running
Old 11-13-2009, 10:52 PM
rcbif

ORIGINAL: Lester Burch

What type of prop are you running
It's a 16x8 for now. May or may not change once I get it running
Old 11-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Rowboat

That engine sounds good. What are the dimensions of your boat? It looks big.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:13 PM
rcbif

ORIGINAL: Rowboat

That engine sounds good. What are the dimensions of your boat? It looks big.
it is big. 45inx23in
Old 11-18-2009, 04:23 PM
rcbif

I have some parts coming from tower and a fuel tank from e-bay, time for some more building.....

Next problem... :lol: ........I'm out of my "1/8 in packing plywood" and it dosent appear that the stores will get any (at least pieces that are salvageable) anytime soon. Home depot does have some 1/4inch birtch plywood for 7 bucks for a 2x4 piece. As all wood goes it's not quite 1/4 inch, but thicker than 1/8 inch and a bit heavier and stiffer. The only thing I need this wood for is my deck. Think I should get some, or wait for my free packing 1/8 plywood? I guess it would be nice to have a thicker deck to stiffen and remove any hull flexing, but wasent sure about the weight. Maybe I'll go back and see if they can weight it for me.

As of now, the hull without motor stand weights 6 pounds
Old 11-18-2009, 04:36 PM
DJLaPalme

I would wait on the 1/8th plywood. You will be adding a lot of weight with all the equipment you have to add. Plus the weight you will add if you use fiberglass cloth and resin to seal the outside of your hull, and the resin for the inside of the hull. You need to make sure it is well sealed because that shipping plywood probably is not the of the best quality. Your boat is looking good. Dennis
Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
RS 38-40
My Feedback: (3)

Find you an old luan door and carefully strip the skins off from it . I've made a few boats out of that wood . Its not as strong as birch ply but it is about 1/8" thick and some of it has good grain . And the skins are as good or better than the packing wood you are using . Just a thought .
Old 11-20-2009, 10:27 AM
rcbif

I made a mock cage today. I gotta say, I think the cage is gonna kill the looks of this boat. Wondering wheather or not it needs one. I noticed almost all pullers dont have one anyways. Wish I had a welder and some metal working tools, and I might actually be able to make it look half as good as my mock-up.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 AM
RS 38-40
My Feedback: (3)

Go to the hardware store and get some 1/16" or 1/8" thick by 1/2" wide aluminum . It is easy to form and can be put together with small bolts and nuts . All you would need is a drill and a hacksaw or metal shears and some sand paper or emery cloth to clean up the sharp edges .
Old 11-23-2009, 06:55 PM
rcbif

I got my goodies from tower today! Pretty much everything I need to finish except paint and the top decking. I worked on the radio box some and got the servo mounts done and the throttle hooked up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.