Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Fired New RCMK

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Fired New RCMK

Old 09-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Dockman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fired New RCMK

Got the new RCMK motor in the BJ55 and fired it up tonight. Had to put the stock header/pipe on for now. Will be running it this weekend.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Dan S

Default RE: Fired New RCMK

wish you a good maiden run.

Dan.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:08 PM
PEERPSI

Everything fit fine?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Dockman

ORIGINAL: PEERPSI

Everything fit fine?
Put my stock pull starter on (The dog comes out further) and had to do some jury riggin on the throttle cable. But all is good and I' am ready.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Dockman

Well finally ran the boat yesterday afternoon. I put my clutch back in the boat which means I have to move the motor forward 1 1/2". Set the strut at 8mm up from bottom of sponson just like last weekend (Boat ran perfect last weeknd with this setup) and the angle was 0. With that setup I can not get the bow in the air it is a plow. So I tinkered around with some props and moving the strut down and angling up but simply could not raise bow. It's got to be because the motor forward with whh retro clutch (CoG is 17 1/2"). I raised the strut way up so I could trim the prop up and this did raise the bow good. I know that this setup is most likely driving the ass down in the water. The motor does sound strong on take off, a little sluggish mid range, and good on top in. My best run was 41.2 with the 3 blade the I don't know what size it is and all other props ran 27 - 39 mph. Needless to say I'am pretty disappointed I did not expect to make my fastest runs right out of the box but was thinking 45 - 46 would have been workable. I really love the clucth but I beleive it is going to have to go??
Old 09-13-2009, 11:04 AM
mymammushouse

ORIGINAL: Dockman

Well finally ran the boat yesterday afternoon. I put my clutch back in the boat which means I have to move the motor forward 1 1/2". Set the strut at 8mm up from bottom of sponson just like last weekend (Boat ran perfect last weeknd with this setup) and the angle was 0. With that setup I can not get the bow in the air it is a plow. So I tinkered around with some props and moving the strut down and angling up but simply could not raise bow. It's got to be because the motor forward with whh retro clutch (CoG is 17 1/2"). I raised the strut way up so I could trim the prop up and this did raise the bow good. I know that this setup is most likely driving the ass down in the water. The motor does sound strong on take off, a little sluggish mid range, and good on top in. My best run was 41.2 with the 3 blade the I don't know what size it is and all other props ran 27 - 39 mph. Needless to say I'am pretty disappointed I did not expect to make my fastest runs right out of the box but was thinking 45 - 46 would have been workable. I really love the clucth but I beleive it is going to have to go??
clutch has to go, move the engine back and try some more props
might wanna try a 1" header system/quickdraw pipe
Old 09-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Dockman

Yeah it will be gone this week. I have a 7/8" Torque master pipe from Gizmo but I don't have it on yet. The pipe did not arrive until 2:30 yesterday and I need to cut the hole out some.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Dockman

Clutch is off not, will fit pipe tomorrow night and if I have enough time I'll hit the pond again. These RCMK motors are some hard starting sob's when cold.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 PM
PEERPSI

What was the center of gravity with the clutch in it?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Dockman

What was the center of gravity with the clutch in it?
17 1/2" with 3/4 tank of gas.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 AM
PEERPSI

That's only 1.5% change at the maximum from the old center of gravity. I'd have to think something else was causing a problem. Pipe length or carb setup?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 AM
gtdad

maybe you should drop that top heavy sled and pick you up a 42 sprint cat!  : )   Hard to believe all this work to be the fastest rc in L.A......
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 AM
danielplace

Clutch is off not, will fit pipe tomorrow night and if I have enough time I'll hit the pond again. These RCMK motors are some hard starting sob's when cold.
You might be choking the engine a bit too much or something. I have 13 RCMK's and 5 are the new EVO engines and they all start in 1-3 pulls when cold.
What do you have your needles set at. They only need about a quarter pull choke, only the slightest of fuel on the finger and another pull at 1/2 - full throttle and it should be running.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:40 AM
PEERPSI

Where you running canopy on or off?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Dockman

Where you running canopy on or off?
Both, but off when I gps it don't want block the signal.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Dockman

ORIGINAL: danielplace

You might be choking the engine a bit too much or something. I have 13 RCMK's and 5 are the new EVO engines and they all start in 1-3 pulls when cold.
What do you have your needles set at. They only need about a quarter pull choke, only the slightest of fuel on the finger and another pull at 1/2 - full throttle and it should be running.

So I need to give it some throttle while starting? I need a third arm to start this thing then?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
danielplace

So I need to give it some throttle while starting? I need a third arm to start this thing then?

Your kidding right? Your not really trying to start it at idle? Not that it won't start eventually but that is what dries out the richened choke mixture till the ratio gets right and it starts.
Yea it helps to give it some air especially if you choke it a little to much.
Does your radio have idle up funtion? You can set it to give as much throttle as you can safely use till you can shut off the switch after it fires.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Dockman

Sorry I'm not kidding this is the first time anyone has said to give them throttle when starting. I guess they are nothing like a Zen.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Dockman

I can idle it up with my radio.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:24 PM
BarnacleNZ

i use the manual trim to increase throttle while starting.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
PEERPSI

I throttle mine up and it's a Zenoah. This may be why you were having to lean out the low so much to keep it running.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Dockman

I throttle mine up and it's a Zenoah. This may be why you were having to lean out the low so much to keep it running.
What rpm's do you idle at? The way you guys are talking there is noway the idle screw will allow you to idle that high.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Dockman

Thanks for the tip this did help with my starting. I will try it with my buddies tonight, his is even harder to start.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Dockman

ORIGINAL: gtdad

maybe you should drop that top heavy sled and pick you up a 42 sprint cat! : ) Hard to believe all this work to be the fastest rc in L.A......
I don't mine the work because I know I have all the right stuff just need to get it all working together. You better just keep tuning on that 42 sprint for the next time we meet in LA.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 AM
PEERPSI

I set mine up to idle between 5500 and 6000. According to Proboats manual you should be 3500 to work with the clutch. Again I go back to lower vacumm once you modify the engine for increased flow means higher idle speed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.