Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

mSR blade grips upgrade mod

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

mSR blade grips upgrade mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Paulv15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mSR blade grips upgrade mod

So I decided that I would have a go at making some more durable blade grips after breaking three sets already.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the process as I didn't use my brain, not to mention the fact that I didn't actually think that I would be able to get a result worthy of keeping.

So, what I used:
- Aluminium Walkera 4#3B blade grips and hardware
- Old stripped mSR blade grips
- 1.5mm Drill bit + drill
- Scalpel
- CA Glue
- 1000 grit sandpaper

I began by removing the existing Walkera ball ends from the blade grips with a small pair of needle nosed pliers. They just unscrew like you would expect.

Then drill out the hole for the Walkera feathering shaft with the 1.5mmm drill bit. I was very careful and tried to stop the drill before it went right through but found that the shaft is too long to allow it to fit between the aluminium blade grips when fixed together. I noticed that the mSR grips actually had holes right through so did the same and it seems to be okay so far...

Then I carefully removed the plastic ball links from the mSR blade grips that I had stripped out earlier in the day. Don't just cut the ball end off flush with the arm of the blade grip, instead, cut the ball link off so that there is a section of arm still attached. Imagine a small stick of plastic on the end of the ball link. This allowed me to screw and then CA the plastic ball links into the Walkera blade grips. I like to think that the extra 'arm' of plastic will help strengthen it a bit...

Now I had to remove the mSR main rotor hub and feathering shaft including the small rubber o-rings and shims. This was the point where I started to think all my work was for nothing but this is what I did and it seems to work okay.

Grab a sheet of 1000 grit sandpaper and flatten it on the work top. Take the main rotor hub and give the ends where the feathering shaft protrudes a very very light sand, constantly checking with the Walkera blade grips the width necessary to allow for free movement when installed.

I found that after doing this the small o-rings didn't actually fit nicely and would cause pressure on the Walkera blade grips to a point where it wasn't free moving. I actually just removed the o-rings all together and so far it seems to be okay but I intend to drill out the main rotor hub a little to allow a better fit and keep the feathering shaft in place.

Now I reassembled the main rotor hub, put the feathering shaft back in, attached the blade grips and the blades and lastly the links to the ball ends.

Now I'm still very much a learner flyer but I'm capable enough that I like to think that I can tell the difference between a heli that fly's smooth and one that doesn't and for what it's worth the mSR fly's very similarly to stock as I remember it which from what I can tell is fairly smoothly.

Things to note, without the o-rings the feathering shaft is very free to move in the main rotor hub. I will be fitting them back in later tonight I think after a few flights.

Pics: (no vids sorry, don't have a video camera)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54551.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1276940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25744.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1276941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94754.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	31.6 KB