Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

T-28 upgrade for PK-T28

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-28 upgrade for PK-T28

Anyone just flying the stock bird on a 4s?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: lbarnes

Yes, that was the camera I have been using.

I have been making Nav lights and selling them at swap meets and on Ebay for some time now. The lights were needed and they really help with the orientation. On the first flight I was trying to get the T-28 into trim. I had changed transmitters and it was out of trim. The second flight was better due to being in trim.

It wasnt easy trimming at low light conditions.

The link below is my Nav lights that I offer:

http://www.larcc.com/buy_sell_swap.htm

This is a post to our club website and you can scroll down and see the demo's.

Larry
Hello Larry,

I just watched your vid on the landing lights you make. Very nice! but I have a question or two? It looks like there is some extra wire wrapped around the the fuse just in front of the tail? How did you run the wires to the top tail fin and..........out on the wings? The wings I would imagin you run out and cover with flap tape or cut a small channel in the wing and slip the wires in. But the tail, thats the real question for me. THANK YOU for verifying the camera too. It is amazing! ! ! that little camera works that well.

JPEE under California rain again[]
Old 03-07-2010, 12:11 AM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The extra wire around the fuse is my old school 72Mhz antenna wire.

The wings where easy. You got a channel running out tot he aileron servos , I just made a shallow cut with a exacto knife from the end of the servo channel to the tip of the wing.

The wire I use for my lights is 28 gage solid wire, so it is very small. after the cut is made I run the wire into the cut and then use white Elmers glue to keep it in place.

The Tail was a bit trickier.

On my first 3 installs, I used a sharpened brass tube to channel straight down from the top of the stab to the bottom of the fuse. after I got that far I then bored a 45 degree from the bottom of the tail area into the main body.

There is another post on this forum that shows Led lights added to a T-28. He took a different and easier route. He just cut a shallow grove along the leading edge of the rudder from the body to the top. Then push the wire into the cut and seal it up.

That is easier than what I did. I did use his method on a PZ Super Cub and it worked great.

Just picked up another T-28 today at a swap meet. This one will have my 8mm LED's, SK3542 motor, aluminum motor mount and retracts and maybe flaps installed on it. I will keep you posted on my progress.

It's starting to look like spring here in Wisconsin......

Larry
Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 AM
JPEE

The extra wire around the fuse is my old school 72Mhz antenna wire.

The wings where easy. You got a channel running out tot he aileron servos , I just made a shallow cut with a exacto knife from the end of the servo channel to the tip of the wing.

The wire I use for my lights is 28 gage solid wire, so it is very small. after the cut is made I run the wire into the cut and then use white Elmers glue to keep it in place.

The Tail was a bit trickier.

On my first 3 installs, I used a sharpened brass tube to channel straight down from the top of the stab to the bottom of the fuse. after I got that far I then bored a 45 degree from the bottom of the tail area into the main body.

There is another post on this forum that shows Led lights added to a T-28. He took a different and easier route. He just cut a shallow grove along the leading edge of the rudder from the body to the top. Then push the wire into the cut and seal it up.

That is easier than what I did. I did use his method on a PZ Super Cub and it worked great.

Just picked up another T-28 today at a swap meet. This one will have my 8mm LED's, SK3542 motor, aluminum motor mount and retracts and maybe flaps installed on it. I will keep you posted on my progress.

It's starting to look like spring here in Wisconsin......

Larry
Hello Larry,
Wow what and a great job too. There is always more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Do you use a AR6100e and plug them in on the batt stabs or use a AR7000E so have that 7th channel?
More than the plane I have considered putting lights on the my TREX 600. I often fly in the early am. and she is hard to see against the gray morning sky.
Smiles JPEE
Old 03-07-2010, 11:54 AM
lbarnes

I do not use the receiver that came with the T-28.

I have several JR and Hitec receivers that I use. Yes, I do put it on channel 5 (gear) to turn on and off the lights.

Larry
Old 03-07-2010, 04:31 PM
JPEE

I do not use the receiver that came with the T-28.

I have several JR and Hitec receivers that I use. Yes, I do put it on channel 5 (gear) to turn on and off the lights.

Larry
Larry, HOLY COW, I guess I had a brain phart! I am so Helicopter oriented I forget that the planes rx gear pin are open. On the heli that is used so it is unavailable unless like I said you have a 7 channel.

Thanks for the update!

JPEE
Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 PM
lbarnes

JPEE,

Ok, here is my latest set of 8mm LED navigation lights for my T-28.

I compaire them against my 5mm LED navigation light.

http://WWW.SPUDGUN.COM/EBAY/8MMVS5MMLED.WMV

I have flown with the 5mm at sunset. but the 8mm look like I could see them a mile off

It is too foggy here this week to fly, but I will try them soon.

Larry
Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM
JPEE

Larry,

I LIKIE! ! ! Now you have a hot setup forsure. I'd like a set of those if they prove to work for you. I am thinking on heli they would be good too for flying against a grey sky. Please keep me informed. I think I told you but we are in the midst of moving out of our house for some drywall work (DUST). So we leave this house next Friday. We will be staying a in another house for 5 weeks so I cant do any hobby stuff but to come back here for garage access to get my stuff for flying. All of our furniture is stored in the garage so its tight in there but soon after this is done I would like the lights of they work out for ya. Life time warranty right!

See you later my friend JPEE =John
Old 03-12-2010, 10:31 PM
lbarnes

Well I did it. I busted up my front nose gear during a landing in the street.

One bounce off the black top and into a cement curb. It folded the nose gear back like I had retracts.

Now it comes time to fix it.

Awhile back I had a cracked firewall and added a piece of ply to add strength and keep the vibration down. During that modification I noticed that with a slight modification it could also be used to replace the busted nose gear block (if it busted latter).

Well the time has come to do that modification.

Here I will post some pics that will show just how easy it is to fix.

Pic 1 and 2, the broken area.

Pic 3, 4 and 5, new motor and nose gear mount. Made from 1/8 ply.

Pic, 6,7 and 8, I used Dubro #238, 1/8" landing gear straps for the nose gear block. drilled and screwed the 2 pieces to the 1/8" motor mount. Used a different steering arm, cut it down and cut the hole for the arm to go through the ply.

Pic 9, 10 and 11 show a piece of hard balsa thet I cut out to fit over the landing strap, epoxy it to the ply.

Pic 12 and 13, show the new motor mount in place and nose gear steering arm attached.

Pic 14 and 15 shows the gap I had behind the nose gear area. I cut a small piece of ply and glued it place to fill the gap.

This modification took me about 1 hr to make and it is just as strong or I feel better than the plastic. If it breaks again I can just cut a new piece of wood.

Hope this helps someone out there that has a bad nose gear mount.

larry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34938.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1396835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57584.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1396836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52628.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1396837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31621.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1396838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oa32069.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1396839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn85886.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1396840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Km96575.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1396841   Click image for larger version

Name:	On44971.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1396842  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Om94113.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1396843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc29816.jpg
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1396844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye31984.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1396845   Click image for larger version

Name:	It80398.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1396846  
Old 03-12-2010, 10:33 PM
lbarnes

The final photos are here:

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58938.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1396847   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44732.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1396848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40040.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1396849  
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 PM
JPEE

Larry, you are the man! What a great fix, one I'll keep in my files forsure. What are you going to do with the damage foam on the under side if anything. The cowl looks like it cover most of it??

Second thing, I noticed you bench look like a HUGE piece of Styrofoam?

Again well done Mister......................

JPEE
Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 PM
lbarnes

I had painted the underside with white paint. What you see is just the paint peeling off. not any damage to the foam.

I have a small work area that is kinda on a small table in the middle of the area. I use a piece of pink foam to work on.

It's place to stick my pins, exacto, small screw driver into to keep them from rolling off onto the floor

I hope to fly tomorrow.......

keep in it the air JPEE.....

larry
Old 07-01-2010, 06:39 AM
dwilt72

I have ordered the following motor for my Trojan. Any idea on whether or not it will work with the existing motor mount? I heard that ebay had modified motor mounts but so far all I've seen are the aluminum versions of the exact same motor mount. I appreciate any info y'all can give me.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7076
Old 07-01-2010, 07:18 AM
fmw

Putting in a motor that is shorter is simply a matter of using spacers between the motor or mount and the firewall.  You can use virtually anything that is an appropriate weight and power for the model.  In my T-28 I used a Scorpion 3008-1220 with a 10X5 prop.  All that was required was putting some 3/8" nylon spacers between the firewall and motor mount.  No mod was required to the cowl.  The fit was perfect with the added spacers and the combination worked with the stock ESC.  And there was no change in the center of gravity.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:59 AM
lbarnes

With that motor you will also need to modify the motor mount and go down in prop size. If you try to spin a 10 x 7 prop with a 1400Kv motor you will be drawing about 40+ amps under load. Your ESC wont last long with that kinda load.

There are the aluminum mounts on Ebay for $20.00 and they are worth every dollar. Not only does it function better but it will reduce vibrations and add strength to the motor mount and firewall.

I purchased one of the $20 motor mounts and the mounting holes were slotted so you could use just about any motor.

Larry

Old 07-01-2010, 10:41 AM
dwilt72

lbarnes,

Do you remember the seller on ebay? I just looked at ebay and the only mounts I saw looked exactly like the plastic ones that come with plane (just made from aluminum)....
Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 PM
lbarnes

This guy here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parkzone-T-28-F4...item1c10cd827f

This is for a stock or a stock size motor.

At the time I purchased it, he didnt have different lengths, but maybe now he does.

The motor you purchased has some bad ratings (see ratings on Hobby King). All the burnt up motors were using larger props.

I would NOT recommend the 10 " prop with this motor. If you have a Watt meter select your props that only draw about 25A at full throttle.

Good luck

Larry
Old 07-17-2010, 06:09 PM
eagle76

Can anyone recommend a motor from www.hobbypartz.com that will drop in the 28 fairly easy...no major mods....
or does anyone have the experience with this?

5 dollar shipping and they are quick...they are located in CA not China...
Old 07-17-2010, 08:15 PM
lbarnes

I didnt see any motor that I would use for the T-28. I have used with very good experience the SK 3542/1000Kvr or SK 3542/900Kvr.

Cheap $$ motor with lots of guts.

Larry

Old 11-07-2010, 01:52 PM
LandenTD

Hey,

I'm a wounded Warrior, recovering at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.  I've been here for almost two years.  Having a lot of time on my hands I got into RC.  I local RC Club, Free State Aeromodelers invites all the wounded to come out and enjoy free memberships and lessons.  Anyway, I've got pretty good.  I had a PZ-T-28 but flying upside down, too low one day, I didnt do the math right with the controller and instead of pushing, I pulled elevator and slammed it full speed right into the ground.   I also have a 65 in wingspan Nexstar to fly but I really loved the Trojan.  Anyway, my wife could see how upset I was so, to the LHS we went for a replacement.  They were all out of Trojans but had the new Stinson.  Exactly the same plane on the inside.  However, the Stinson flies a little different, seems harder to land.  Anyway, I wanted to beef up my Stinson.  I had an E-flite 40amp ESC already.  I ordered and installed a Turnigy 35-46 1400kv, 550wt powered by a Nano-tech 3300 and a 10x7 APC. 

This thing hauls at about 1/3 throttle.  I just installed the flap servo and got those working.  Winds suck here in DC this weekend so I havent been able able to try them yet.  Think I'll have my instructor try the flaps.  He suggested doing it with a lot of altitude. 

Just wanted to share my setup with you.  I havent burned anything up after many flights, although I did lose a Nano-tech 3300 on the first flight, its a tight fit. At the bottom of a loop the battery door popped open, battery disconnected and had to float it in.  No damage but I was out a $50 battery!! 

[email protected] if anybody has any suggestions. 

Old 02-13-2016, 01:33 AM
azuz

Hi I have the t28 pnp version with the AS3x, I have been flying this bird for a few weeks now and loving it, just that i kinda find it slow for me and been wanting to upgrade the motor to an turnigy Sk3 3548-1050kv with a 70a esc, which i got from hobby king for a pylon project. I have been looking around for option and now that i read these last threads i see hope.

Since this beauty flies so well i wana give it a try. would you guys suggest i need to upgrade the firewall or just drop it in, that makes me ask you will it just drop in ?

I also have another motor and esc combo off the roc hobby swift high speed version which i crashed and rebuilt but haven't flown it as it looks really beat up.....

thanks for the help

Last edited by azuz; 02-13-2016 at 01:47 AM. Reason: wrong motor model