Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New SH .28 needle settings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Mickstix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SH .28 needle settings?

Do any of you guys happen to know the stock needlesettings of a new .28 SHengine? (For breakin) I cant get mine to idle/run w/o the glow ignitor continuallyhooked up, and even with the ignitor on if I try to raise the idle/rpm with remote/trim it'll just shut off.. Then I started tinkering with the low speed needle (before I got the stock reading) and now it wont even fire.. So it's prolly out of whack now..I know better but got in a hurry.. I did a search and found 2.5 out on the highspeed and 4.5 out on the low?Problem is the threads were from 2005' so I dont know if its even the same motor or not??Thanks for any help/info!Signed, Ol'Sore Arm
Old 12-28-2009, 07:24 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New SH .28 needle settings?

2 3/4 from all in (dont tighten them, just FEEL em bottom out) on high and 2 1/2 on the low with 1 mm throttle gap will get ya hummin and should be alrighty for break in (depends on your area, temp, humidity, yadda yadda) but ya u be runnin
Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Mickstix

OK thanks! That's a big difference on the low speed needle, from what I had found.. I also found my ignitor is dead again so it's gonna be another day at least, before I get her broken in.. AHHHH!!! Thanks for the info bud!!

Old 12-28-2009, 07:38 PM
BeeBruce

I just went threw the same thing, I can tell you what I did. Take off the air cleaned and make sure you have about a 1.mm gap or opening. This is in the idle position. More is ok you can always turn it down but it won't start if it is not open enough. Turn your HSN high speed needle setting in softly until it stops, then back it out 2 & 1/2 turns out.
Make sure your glow plug igniter has a really good full charge. It says to charge it for 8 hours before you use it the first time.
Take out your glow plug and put it on your igniter and burn off the fuel that is probably sitting in it.
Now take a hair dryer and heat up the engine and dry up some of the fuel in the cylinder. Pull the strater a few times with it upside down to clean out the cylinder. Also I wrapped a piece of cloth around my cylinder to keep it warm while I was trying to burn these first 5 tanks of gas through my motor, it's cold here.
OK with the motor warmed up with the hair dryer put the glow plug in. Hold your finger on the muffler and pull it a few times until you see the fuel run right up to the carb. Now put your igniter on your plug and get it running. You might want to trim the throttle open just a little if it doesn't want to start. For the first tank of fuel just leave the igniter of the plug if you have to just to keep it running. After it gets hot you can probably pull it off maybe, I couldn't. Remember it will start running better after each tank of fuel. The first 2 tanks are the hardest it seems. After that I set my HSN setting to 2 turns out. Of course here for me it was pretty cold so that wasn't helping any. Then run better in the summer.  I hope this helps you out. 
Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Mickstix

Thanks Bruce its much appreciated!! Did you say you have a SH .28 also?  If so, what was your lowspeed needle set at, if ya dont mind? Just want as many opinions as I can get to make sure I can come up with a setup that'll run/idle.. Its been cold here too, (well, chilly anyway) Around 45-50 when I get to mess with it.. I dont know why my glow ignitor goes dead so fast, but that's what got me in trouble messin with the needles tonight.. It had 1.19 volts, but that wasnt enough to "glow" either of my spare plugs? They got hottish to the touch, but not glowing like they do with a fully charged ignitor.. It's on the charger now so hopefully tomorrow evening I'll have a chance to give it another try.. Thanks again!!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Mickstix

Oh yea, she sounds EVIL just idling!! I'm gonna have to see if this .28 will cram into the tornado, just so I can watch it do a backwards summersalt.. hehe.. just about done with stage one breakin!! Thanks for the needle settings!! Signed, Happy Camper
Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 PM
firebird78

you want to hear evil...throw the xtm 457 piston/sleave and a dynamite pipe on that bad boy and thats exactly what you will hear...I dont run stock sh.28 engines anymore..lol
Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Mickstix

Baby steps overhere.. Cut me some slack, it's my first big block.. She ran through the tank pretty good.. Idle was changin as it went, but it made it through the tank ok.. While lettin it cool I got to workin on the Tornado, so I didnt get back to it for stage 2-6 or whatever it is.. Hopefully tomorrow!! The Tornado had started running like junk and would die for no reason, and today it wouldnt even fire at all, so after thinkin it was the glow plug and then thetuneup, I finally pulled off the carb and tore it down for a cleaning.. That was the ticket..Now it runs but the tune is whacked.. Wants to flame out when I give it throttle.. I was trying to tune all 3 needles at the same time so I may need to go back to stock and just tune the high speed 1st, then low, then idle.. (Is that the proper order???)Thanks as usual for the help and info!!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 PM
firebird78

set ur carb to 1mm gap right off....put ur hsn to 2 3/4 and low to about 2 1/2 (wow have u heard this before??..hmmm).....get her warmed up good and with 1/2 tank fuel start leaning out the high and run her up to were she bogs and turn the needle back out about 1/8 turn...see what that does for ya (check temp)...then start leaning in your lsn and let it idle for a few seconds...then punch the throttle (you want it to launch right off without boggin or flamin out)...once u get the best performance I usually turn her back uout about 1 hr....make sure you keep an eye on your temps...tuning for performance on sh, infinity and vx small block they may want to run way up in the high 200's (like 270+)...u may havta fatten em up a lil.....once ya get it were u think ur good give her the good ol' pinch test...you want it to run for a few seconds but not rev real high before it shuts down....

Old 12-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Mickstix

I should get a temp gun.. I started on the low speed first cause it was boggin off the start, I guess that's where I went wrong. Should of started with the high.. I'll set em back to stock and start over with a 1mm idle setting!! Thanks as usual for the help!!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 PM
rjsdad

I don't have a temp gun, but I make sure that I have good blue smoke from the exhaust. No smoke or very little tells me tha I am running to lean, heavy somke and bogging down I am running to rich.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 PM
firebird78

you can also use the good ol' spit method....if it boils right off your to lean...if it doesnt evaporate within a couple seconds your rich...
Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 AM
Mickstix

Yea, I usually use the spit method myself.. Did the 2nd stage of breakin today on the .28.. Thatbig Monsoon sure is alot smoother than the little Tornado.. After doing 1/4 throttle figure 8's with the Msoon, I fired up the Tornado and could hardly control it.. And it's still driving me nuts.. I went back to the stock settings and started leaning the high speed needle, but couldnt tell much difference (guess it was close to begin with) so I went to the low, cause it was bogging (as it should) so I leaned it out a little, and it ran great for about a minute, then shut off? Id restart it and itd run good for a bit, then shut off, usually at about 2/3-3/4 throttle (Not at full throttle) But I richened up the high speed a little just incase,but it didnt make a diff.. It was also idling pretty fast,so I had to keep messing with the idle.. Anyway, I thought I had it, but if I leaned out the low speed needle AT ALL, it would immediatly die.. But if I richened the low speed it bogs.. And the idle keeps changing.. It'll be too fast, then after a bit it'll settle down.. I dunno, Kurt said to check it for an air leak, so Im gonna do that tomorrow.. I was thinkin maybe the glow plug is goin bad? Last time I checked it, it would glow, but the last coil woulnd get red? (If ya can understand what Im sayin) Not sure if that makes a diff or not.. Anyway, its about to drive me nuckin futs, to say the least. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the breakin on the Monsoon and just render the Tornado to the back of the closet.. hehe.. I think I might pull the needles (SH.18) and put a drop of loctite on the threads, cause the low needle especially (and the idle scew) seem very easy to turn/adjust.. But I couldnt tell if they were self adjusting or not, but a drop of loctite cant hurt I dont guess.. Just to rule it out.. Oh well, catch ya'll later!

edit: I had posted this once, then it dissappeared, then the forum wouldnt load.. Anyone else having any issues with the forum not wanting to loador acting strange??
Old 12-31-2009, 04:04 PM
firebird78

you might need new o-rings on the needles..I personally wouldnt lockt tite them...I'd be more likely to try to cut some fuel line at about 2 mm and put them on the needles and trying to screw em in (I read that somewere but never tried it)...

does sound like an air leak...have you sealed the engine?...make sure to check the head screw also (tighten in an X pattern...pretty sure ya already know that though...lol)
Old 12-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Mickstix

I checked it (.18SH/Tornado S30)for air leaks today and alls good.. I also did the loctite to the needles last night (didnt see the fuel line post till today, but my current RC mag has a "Pit tip" sayin to put a drop of loctite on the threads? So that's what I did..) Anyway, didnt make much difference.. It runs good, then for no reason dies when I come off the throttle. I guess it's like a "flameout" (i really dont know what that is but it sounds similar) lol.. But anywway, after it does this I have to pull my arm off to get it started again, then it'll run fine till it dies again.. Who knows.. I changed the glow plug this evenin but never got to see if that fixed it.. (Didnt want to throw it into the wall if it didnt, so I opted to let it ride for a day..) Got through the 1st 3 stages of breakin on the Monsoon!! Cant wait till I let that bugger loose!! The neighbors must think Im a mental case out there with that thing just doin slow figure 8's, then goin back inside.. hehehe..(That and the talkin to myself, after the tornado po's me!) :O Oh well, thanks for the help as usual!!