Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Mini40 multihulls future development route?!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Mini40 multihulls future development route?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:52 AM
Idealist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mini40 multihulls future development route?!

Since yesterday - Friday 03/07/2010 - the so far biggest rc-multihullmeeting is happening in Germany!

19 (!) cats and tris are there!

What can we learn from them - and what new trends in design and handling will come out of this event?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:08 AM
Idealist

Default RE: Mini40 multihulls future development route?!

Hi all RC-Multihull-Enthusiasts,

as far as I was able to find out, only KAMPAI 26 took part with his RT65 Trimaran,
which is - at least - BASED on my selfbuildingplans.

But the MINI40-Class is much more popular in AUSTRIA and GERMANY:

1. Karl Schmidt (AUT 07) is the most experienced race sailor with his purple/yellow trimaran.

2. Eric Gielen (Aut 33) sails the last "Nightmare Mk.VII" , which I built together with him in 2007.
The sails are made by Karl and Eric continues his "apprenticeship" as a race sailor guided by Karl.

We could discuss for years how much influence the man on the sticks has regarding the performance of his boat - but IĀ“m sure if both would change the boats, Karl would still win!

- and in the end the second place overall for Eric Gielen isnĀ“t that bad - right? -

As you may remember, I had to retire due to health problems,
so I was unable to join them - but in my mind IĀ“m still with them.

So far no Austrian or German sailor has completed a "Nightmare MkVIII",
but I know of several under construction! -

2M-Class:
This year there where 6 (!) 2M-Trimarans there - and they did their own races!
Even 4 french guys showed up with their boats -
And only GERD RASCH and ANDREAS HEILWAGEN where from Germany.

Unfortunately NO Austrians are sailing 2M-Tris currently!
Eric Gielen has discontinued building his 2M-Tri he started together with me -
and also no progress on the other 2M tri I started with a customer from Lower Austria - itĀ“s really a shame!

I provided them with all knowledge needed, but as said before since 2007 I was unable to continue -
- except as a technical consultant. ItĀ“s really up to them now.

Ernst Zemann/Idealist/Disabled

Re: Mini40 multihulls future development route?!
A first set of pictures and comments are here - much more to come during the next days:

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...=178822&page=5

Also videos will be online shortly!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Idealist

Here is a first video online of this event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqYjK7LUBto
Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 AM
egi1610

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Forum,
this is my first post (and most likely also my last one). I wanted to comment on this statement from Idealist a little:

"2. Eric Gielen (Aut 33) sails the last "Nightmare Mk.VII" , which I built together with him in 2007."

First of all Ernst, it is not in my interest to be publicly named in the internet without me knowing!

Secondly the statement "which I built together with him in 2007" is HIGHLY missleading. Ernst, remember, you did the hulls, to be precise the half hulls. This was indeed quite some work and it took us some time in the heat of your house to get them done, but this is far away from building a boat! This is the reason why I stopped to work with you. Your selfconfidence and your view of reality is so much blurred that I have to wonder.

Third, the boat sails well indeed, the floats are well sized, I can recommend using the free plans from Ernst and find it very generous of him to give them out for free! One thing one should not underestimate is the rigg. To me with my only 4 years of RC multhull experience the floats are important, the mainhull only needs to have enough volume, the main and key driver for a winning boat at this moment though is the power of the rigging. If one can control the rigg its half way down the race to win.

As such Idealist don't take it personal but you didn't build the boat with me, you made the hulls, everything else was then onwards after huge issues with your health and condition completed by me with the help of Karl.

Now with my knowledge of MKVII, what would I do different?
1) the sidehulls lack a little volume in the aft section, it sinks there when sailing on one hull, this does cost speed
2) don't just do straight beams, it is worth the efford to build curved beams as they NEVER touch water and thus never can drag, mine do (the advantage in this boat though was to be able to adjust the positioning continuesly to find out how much 'vorspur' (sorry don't know the english word for it) makes sense. Now that I know this I would switch to curved beams
3) the main hull was too soft, despite 2 layers of 160gr carbon the mainhull in the forsection at the mounting of the beam was/is to soft, I stiffened it after the facts with some carbon strings but it is still too soft, it would need some cross stiffness to not twist that much
4) mainhull is very unpractible to build up the boat, in a new design I would make the main boat in three halfs, left and right bottom, then build all the interior like mastfoot RC components, rudder etc and only then close it with a top half.
5) When the boat goes on one float it first pushes into the water and only then 'jumps' on one float. I have not found out the reason for this, only possible reason is that the mast position should potential be 2cm more to the back, this is the case in MKVIII plans so I am not sure if they would be directly comparable

Last comment: for all builders of MKVIII, I can only recommend to use glassfibre in a first round, use 2 layers of 160gr (std weight) and one outside layer of 50gr for the finish. this is stiff enough for Mini40 class and it safes you some money, once you have built the boat completely and are happy with the 'finetunings' it would need to fit your needs, you can build another set of hulls in carbon! before that its a waste of money to build in carbon.

So I wish that in Europr the Mini40 class and 2M continues to grow!
I also wish all dowloaded plans a happy build, the two build documents here are really helpfull for any newbie to get started right!

All the best
Eric alias egi1610

Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 AM
Idealist

ORIGINAL: egi1610

Secondly the statement ''which I built together with him in 2007'' is HIGHLY missleading. Ernst, remember, you did the hulls, to be precise the half hulls. This was indeed quite some work and it took us some time in the heat of your house to get them done, but this is far away from building a boat! This is the reason why I stopped to work with you. Your selfconfidence and your view of reality is so much blurred that I have to wonder.

As such Idealist don't take it personal but you didn't build the boat with me, you made the hulls, everything else was then onwards after huge issues with your health and condition completed by me with the help of Karl.

Eric alias egi 1610
Hi Eric,
just to get that straigth -

From the beginning I was my intention to TEACH you boatbuilding, not be be/become your labourer, servant or slave.
So of course you had to complete it yourself.

Therefore I can give that back to you:
"Your view of reality is so much blurred that I have to wonder!"

But this seems to be a part of the arrogance of many technical engineers -...-
you didnĀ“t like to become dirty and sweaty because of actual physical work -
you wanted someone else to do that for you.
This was the reason why I had to stop to work with you.

Idealist

I donĀ“t do what others expect me to do - I do what I expect of myself!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:06 PM
GLX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great news that the multi is still alive and that such events are being organised.

I enjoyed the video and the pics - and really miss not being able to sail one of these multi right now...

Although since I came to Ireland over 16 years ago I haven't raced multi and I miss it hugely - my old faithful Cobra (french design) is grand and look ok but a heavy built and lack of forward volume in the floats really limits her potential. And my replica of Jet Services IV is great on the eye but not a racing machine. So for the past 6 years or so my rc activity has been in rebuilding a RC sailing activity here in Ireland. Our boat is the IOM class : small, not too expensive and very competitive.

I have to say that the most extreme rc sailing has to be with no doubt the rc multi - the delicate combination of acceleration, speed, distance and avoiding to capsize are essential in winning races. Having the right boat and sails to power it must also be good. In no other RC sailing class I have felt these element to be so prominent. I miss the endurance race we use to have in France like the 5 hours of angers and somewhere else I can't remember in Iles de france.

And it is the the contribution of designers and builders such as Ernst - and other passionate that this magnificant class is kept alive.

Unfortunately I don't have the boat building skills I need to build such beautiful boats as those which took part in this event. And to help overcome my fear of building a titanic type of boat i surf the forums in search of ideas and inspiration. I have already built a tri of my own design based on my learnings from racing them a few years back - made of styrofoam but it never saw a starting line or even water as acetone got the best of one of my float and the second broke during a fall on the snow as I was bringing it home to work on it. Maybe some day I'll have the money and the time and will power to start again - But my building skills are quite a good bit behind my sailing skills and I have a great project in mind to use a 2m here for an event with the aim of promoting RC Sailing in this country if you know of a good platform (to sail on the sea) at a very modest price - let me know. I don't need rigs, sails or electrics I'll be able to add / build them to them myself.

Anyway it's great to see events such as this race taking place and gathering skippers from few countries to race together... well done to the organisers and skippers.