Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Futaba 8FG and GY401 set up

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Futaba 8FG and GY401 set up

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:58 AM
bigtbuilder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 8FG and GY401 set up

I have a Futaba T8FG tx, 7 channel rx, with a Futaba GY401 gyro plus Digital Servo installed in a Raptor 50.

My radio set up is this: I have a toggle switch SF set to change between HH and rate mode. I have the Gyro program set to: Cond : Normal, Idle up 1, "Type" set to GY AVCS. The installation instructions for the GY401 seems to contradict the set up instructions in the FUtaba 8FG manual. Normally I would expect to set the Gyro gain by the HH/Rate end point. When I try to do this it is overridden by the rate settings in the Gyro program. EG Lowering the rate in either has no effect on the Gyro performance, it is way too sensative. I cannot get the gain down in either and this is resulting in an uncontrollable hunting by the tail especially in fast forward flight. The instructions in the TX manual state that "if the gyro is anything other than a Futaba GYA type then set the "Type" to Norm. Is the GY401 a GYA type or not? If I do this then the AVCS disappears and the rate defaults to 90% in normal curve and 75% in Idle up1. What the hell is going on!!!

What does the % rate refer to anyway? I have contacted my retailer who put me in touch with Futaba UK. Futaba UK have no idea on how to program the 8FG with the GY401. There suggestion was to inhibit the gyro setting completely and use the End Point in channel 5 to reduce increase gain. When I asked how to do this they did not know. If I could do this how would I increase the gain for higher head speeds needed for 3d or when sitching to Idle up 1?

Anyone got any ideas or work through that they have used or set ups that work?

Thanks in advance

PS I had no problems with my 8UP!!! And the software on the 12 channel is different again./
Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 8FG and GY401 set up

No worries it's easy.

Set type to GY for any heading hold gyro.

Sounds like you're using your flight mode or flight condition switch COND so you can set your gain per flight mode. Unless you're flying F3C or something thats a bit over kill, I'd just pick a free toggle switch but in any case the setup is the same.

RATE is the amount of gain. AVC 50 is 50 percent gain in heading hold mode and thats where I would start in all modes.

Next make sure the end points on the gyro gain channel are set to 100/100

I'd start with AVC 50 to 65
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 AM
bigtbuilder

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

No worries it's easy.

Set type to GY for any heading hold gyro.

Sounds like you're using your flight mode or flight condition switch COND so you can set your gain per flight mode. Unless you're flying F3C or something thats a bit over kill, I'd just pick a free toggle switch but in any case the setup is the same.

RATE is the amount of gain. AVC 50 is 50 percent gain in heading hold mode and thats where I would start in all modes.

Next make sure the end points on the gyro gain channel are set to 100/100

I'd start with AVC 50 to 65

Thanks for the reply. You make it sound so easy so can I ask for some clarification please?
1). In the Gyro screen what does COND and SW mean in the Gyro and Dual Rate programmes?
2). Is the GY401 a GYA Gyro or not? If it is not a GYA gyro does that mean I set the Gyro Type to Normal in Gyro Programme?

Thanks again for your help.
Tim
Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 PM
bikemad

1). In the Gyro screen what does COND and SW mean in the Gyro and Dual Rate programmes?
this is asking you what type and name of switch you want to use,
2). Is the GY401 a GYA Gyro or not? If it is not a GYA gyro does that mean I set the Gyro Type to Normal in Gyro Programme?
I would use GY,
your use of end points for the gain is very wrong, what you call gain futaba call RATE,
if I under stand you right first you want to adjust the gain and also you would like to select for example HH on IDLE1 with a gain of 40% but want IDLE2 to run NORMAL and 20%, ect
first go to the ADVANCE MENU then go GYRO-SENSE, then make the screen say MIX>ACT MODE>GY SW>Cond then your see RATE-NORM> this is asking you what you want in normal mode, if you want heading hold then select AVC and say 40% to start with, this gives you HH & gain 40% then do IDL1 >AVC 40%
IDL2> NOR 20%
ect
to check it's working go to SERVO's and watch servo 5 when you switch from IDLE1 to ILDE2,
I hope this helps
Old 08-26-2010, 03:22 AM
bigtbuilder

ORIGINAL: bikemad

this is asking you what type and name of switch you want to use,
I would use GY,
your use of end points for the gain is very wrong, what you call gain futaba call RATE,
if I under stand you right first you want to adjust the gain and also you would like to select for example HH on IDLE1 with a gain of 40% but want IDLE2 to run NORMAL and 20%, ect
first go to the ADVANCE MENU then go GYRO-SENSE, then make the screen say MIX>ACT MODE>GY SW>Cond then your see RATE-NORM> this is asking you what you want in normal mode, if you want heading hold then select AVC and say 40% to start with, this gives you HH & gain 40% then do IDL1 >AVC 40%
IDL2> NOR 20%
ect
to check it's working go to SERVO's and watch servo 5 when you switch from IDLE1 to ILDE2,
I hope this helps
Thanks for your help. However in the T8FG there is no GYRO-SENSE prog. In fact in Heli mode in the T8FG ther are no Programmable mixes at all! Also according to the Futaba web site for GY401: "gain adjustment is made by increasing or decreasing the ATV in the channel selected for switching between Rate and HH. Ruder trim is made using D/R adjustment in flight"
You have just illustrated the confusion that exists due to the poorly written manual and out of date instructions for the GY401when used with the T8FG. Which is ridiculous when you consider how many 401's are out there.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:41 AM
BarracudaHockey

Not sure what put you under the impression that there's no mixes or gyro programming in the 8FG

All of Hobbico's web sites are down right this minute but I'll download and take a look at the manual when they come up.

COND = condition or flight condition. You can assign the gyro to a switch or if you set it to COND you can assign a value to each flight mode.

For the 401 its a GY gyro so make sure type is GY or GYA, not NOR
Old 08-27-2010, 03:41 AM
bigtbuilder

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Not sure what put you under the impression that there's no mixes or gyro programming in the 8FG

All of Hobbico's web sites are down right this minute but I'll download and take a look at the manual when they come up.

COND = condition or flight condition. You can assign the gyro to a switch or if you set it to COND you can assign a value to each flight mode.

For the 401 its a GY gyro so make sure type is GY or GYA, not NOR
Hi and thanks for the help. Just to correct you, I know there is a Gyro program in the 8FG when you are in Heli model set up. There is also one is Airplane and Glider. What I meant was there is no "free" programming Mixes in Heli mode. However I am beginning to understand, from your explanation, that in COND you have to choose between HH and Rate when you set up a flight mode. For example in Hover you would have to choose between HH or Rate. In Idle UP 1 (which I use for regular forward flight, circuits) you would have to choose between HH and Rate. The problem with this is two fold. 1) you cannot switch between HH and Rate in that flight mode. 2) The gain or rate lead is plugged into channel 5 on the RX so needs a switch assigned to it.

In my old FF8 it was simple. All you did was switch between HH and Rate depending what flight mode you where in. So if you where in circuit and got disorientated you could get into a tail in hover, switch to HH and reverse into a comfortable hover in front. I guess that is what I want to do but it seems that the Gyro prog in the 8FG cannot be INH.
Tim
Old 08-27-2010, 03:44 AM
eskyrc

unfortunately I have no experience.
I only got just radio Nemo ex esky
Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 AM
BarracudaHockey

You can assign the gyro to a toggle and not the flight mode.

You're giving away your age though nobody flys in rate mode anymore

There's plenty of P-Mixes available on the 8 in Heli mode. Maybe you're not accessing the advanced menu.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:23 AM
bigtbuilder

Well it may be an age thing, but its the way I was taught. I cannot find any P mixes and I have got into the advanced menu. Think I will return this TX to Futaba. There may be a software issue.