Notices

CARF J-10 Sun Shade

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Moebius44
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CARF J-10 Sun Shade

My J-10's airframe / outer skin is a composite of Carbon / HEREX / Honeycomb / E-glass and is painted (mostly) semi-gloss black. Thermal energy absorption from UV on a sunny day is going to be a problem (e.g. skin sinking into honeycomb).

A friend (she's pretty handy with a sewing machine) has agreed to sew together a sun shade from a neat material called Matte Stretch Sportswear. It's amazing - as most women will attest to (leggings etcetera - tight / form fitting). It is a 4-way stretch Nylon / Spandex Matte Tricot that normally see's duty as sport / active / swim / dance / Yoga wear etcetera. I'm told its very durable, washable and comes in some amazingly bright colors.
I chose a rather conservative light grey for the obvious reasons. Below are pics of the initial fit using binder clips;

Mine is being sewn together now; I'll post pics of the final fit when I get it back. To make good use of my friend's time, she's sewing a second cover in the above color (have enough extra fabric - why not). I'll make it available for purchase.

If someone wants a cover in their own color choosing for their CARF J-10, let me know. At the moment, the projected cost will be ~$250 (the material is expensive). I'm not in it to make a production or any money outta this; just thought others might take advantage of me doing the initial (obviously cool) design / fit for this airframe (only).

Last edited by Moebius44; 04-25-2018 at 02:39 PM.