Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
Reload this Page >

Not receiving emails from the marketplace

Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Not receiving emails from the marketplace

Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That person is actually an AOL user.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Iflyit
My Feedback: (512)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JWN
That person is actually an AOL user.
So it seems thats the pattern, somehow RCU is also blocking emails from Aol and Yahoo users from going thru their server to the seller when a question is posted.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:21 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Your statement of the pattern is correct and has been previously stated as so in this thread. This is an AOL and Yahoo problem.

Your statement of RCU blocking the emails however is NOT correct. RCU is NOT blocking any emails. AOL and Yahoo are blocking emails sent by their users through our proxy. Both AOL and Yahoo have stated this to be absolutely true. Again, RCU is NOT blocking any emails. It is AOL and Yahoo who are blocking the emails sent by their users through our site as proxy.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Iflyit
My Feedback: (512)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how that is? How can they block an email that is coming from RCU to Gmail? Why would their email provider have anything to do with it, it comes from RCU right? They post on the question section of an ad, then RCU sends notification that a question has been posted, not sure why whatever provider they had in their profile would matter. I could probably make up a profile and not put an email address is or put a non existent one like [email protected] and then if I posted a question to an ad it would still go thru wouldnt it?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:42 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Again, the emails originate on RCU and are sent as a proxy from our servers, through the members server (AOL or Yahoo) then delivered to the recipient.

If you change the email address in your account the system will automatically send a verification email to that address. Until you verify your account with the code word contained in the verification email, you will not be able to post to the forums or marketplace. You will be stuck in view only mode.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:56 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Seams a simple long term fix it to change that to act just like the PM notifications in the forums,,,RCU sends the email, lets them know a question has been posted, they can log on to view the post.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:24 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

If we do that all members lose the ability to simply click "Reply" to continue the conversation with the other member.

See post #65 in this thread for a refresher of why that option is not desirable.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:09 AM
scale only 4 me

You could include the email address of the member posting the question,, people would learn the new way,, they always do.

once gmail start black flagging these emails completely instead of intermittently the problem will be bigger.

I get it though,, no fix will ever come from RCU, we just need to log on each day to check our ads.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:43 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
You could include the email address of the member posting the question,, people would learn the new way,, they always do.

once gmail start black flagging these emails completely instead of intermittently the problem will be bigger.

I get it though,, no fix will ever come from RCU, we just need to log on each day to check our ads.
Hate to drag up what appears to be old and forgotten problems with the RCU marketplace but this is happening again. I've placed several adds recently and am not getting a notification from the marketplace when someone posts a question to add, or more importantly I'm not getting an email notification that someone has made an offer. Also, I used to get a pop up notifican when I returned to RCU to let me know one of my adds has had activity, that isn't happening anymore either. Need help please!
Old 09-19-2016, 03:28 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Originally Posted by Todd D
Hate to drag up what appears to be old and forgotten problems with the RCU marketplace but this is happening again. I've placed several adds recently and am not getting a notification from the marketplace when someone posts a question to add, or more importantly I'm not getting an email notification that someone has made an offer. Also, I used to get a pop up notifican when I returned to RCU to let me know one of my adds has had activity, that isn't happening anymore either. Need help please!

Please see the response I made in the other thread you created.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:40 AM
scale only 4 me

John,
I place 2 ads this morning, got the notification from RCU that the ads were placed as usually to my Gmail,, then later in the day I had an offer made,,, I did not receive a notification email of the offer. So my buyer has been wait all day when I should have been able to reply sooner. Having to check the market place repeatedly throughout the day is inconvenient,

You can say that it's not a RCU software problem,, maybe technically that's true,, if it is the members email server that are blocking the emails from being sent,, the fact that that's the way the RCU software attempts to send out notifications is still a software problem in my mind. Why can't RCU server send out the notifications directly like it does we you post an ad?,, this old system worked at one time, but no longer as it seems more email servers are blocking this practice.

good luck
Old 10-07-2016, 11:45 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

I switched to a gmail account for marketplace due to the yahoo fiasco and it worked fine for awhile. Now mail delivery is spotty. I made an offer, it was accepted, but I never got notified of it. I didn't even know that it was sold to me until I went to check 'My Offers'. I do not get emails with questions about my items for sale. I only get the notifications about item activity when I am in the Marketplace about half of the time.
The system is certainly not as consistent and dependable as it once was.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:49 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

When someone posts a question to your ad, the system actually sends an email via proxy through that person's email provider. In this way, the email originates at RCU, but is actually sent through the members email provider. This allows you to click reply and communicate with them directly. If that persons email provider blocks the message as spam, which is typical for Yahoo and AOL, but can potentially happen with any email provider, then you the seller will never receive the email message.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:23 PM
JeffH

Once email communication has been established outside of RCU, there is no problem at all with email addresses. This of course rules out email provider quirks. That proxy is doing something inconsistently since it is fine sometimes and then not so good at other times.
This does not address the lack of offer notification emails and onscreen item activity within the Marketplace.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:34 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Right, once you are communicating directly with another person, the email provider no longer sees the message being seen as originating at RCUniverse.com and being sent as proxy so the chance of it being flagged as spam is vastly lower.

Both AOL and Yahoo permit sending proxy emails. We have been in contact with both, many times, and verified we are operating as they direct us to. However, they still have taken the stance that our emails sent in this manner are spam. We cannot make them change this.

If you are not seeing on screen notifications when you visit the site, please log out of your account, clear all cookies and cached pages from your web browser, close and reopen your browser, then log in to your account. A corrupt cookie stored in your browser is the most common problem.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:51 PM
scale only 4 me

FWIW,,

So my buyer wasn't specific on his offer this morning so I did the counter offer thing to clarify his offer,,, I just got an email notification of his reply (re submitted offer),, Turns out he is on Hotmail,, so you can add that to the list of email providers that are not working reliably with the RCU system.

Good luck
Old 10-07-2016, 12:54 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

As I stated in post #113 above, this can happen with any email provider.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JWN
As I stated in post #113 above, this can happen with any email provider.
I recently had an add expire and did not receive notification that my add expired. Is that part of the email problem?
Old 10-09-2016, 02:21 AM
scale only 4 me

Good news,, I got notification of the offer that was placed two days ago, this morning @ 3:30 am,, Timely ,, LOL

[TABLE="class: cf gJ"]
[TR="class: acZ"]
[TD="class: gF gK"][TABLE="class: cf ix, width: 881"]
[TR]
[TD][h=3][/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TD="class: gH, align: right"]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 10-09-2016, 06:00 AM
JeffH

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Good news,, I got notification of the offer that was placed two days ago, this morning @ 3:30 am,, Timely ,, LOL

[TABLE="class: cf gJ"]
[TR="class: acZ"]
[TD="class: gF gK"][TABLE="class: cf ix, width: 881"]
[TR]
[TD][h=3][/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TD="class: gH, align: right"]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]