Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
Reload this Page >

Not receiving emails from the marketplace

Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Not receiving emails from the marketplace

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This time, it did.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:41 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AOL blacklists RCU several times a year and have done so for at least the last 10 years. We go through all of the hoops and show them that the only emails we send are those specifically requested by registered users of this site. They then take us off their blacklist only to throw is back on a couple of months later. There comes a point where enough is enough and we cannot keep doing this with them. Anyone using AOL email should seriously consider changing services.

Yahoo is another matter entirely. Several months ago they changed their email servers configurations to strengthen their ability to verify the sender of a message was the same listed in the From line of the email. Sites like RCUniverse who provide email forwarding between members were hit with this change and the vast majority of emails sent through the site to Yahoo email users were lost or bounced. Some made it through, but from what we can gather, the majority were blocked. RCU changed our email servers to comply with Yahoo's new requirements but problems continued. Our IT staff contacted Yahoo for help. Yahoo verified our servers configuration fully complies with their new requirements, but they too have taken the line that too much spam is sent through our site so once again, we're blacklisted and they have so far been unwilling to reconsider. Again, anyone using Yahoo email should seriously consider changing services.

On the last item of emails taking a long time to be received, this does occasionally happen when the site sees a large amount of email traffic or during times of system maintenance. We work through this as quickly as possible and apologize for the inconvenience, but we do bring everything back online as quickly as possible.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Iflyit
My Feedback: (512)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Telling users to change email addresses is just a band aid, I have had the same email address for 15 years, so Im not changing it, just not an option. I am just mostly listing on RCGroups now. RCU will lose a lot more members as well if they are told to switch email providers everytime to fix an issue, after a while there wont be many providers left. As you said, they have done it for 10 years, and each time in those 10 years it has been fixed, so what is different now that you dont want to fix it? Does the new management not care about the userbase anymore? If you want to provide a website that makes a profit from advertising, you would fix it or eventually wont have a large enough userbase that the advertisers will want to spend any money with.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:09 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Iflyit,
You are using gmail for your email and are not affected by the blacklist tactics taken by Yahoo and AOL. Because of this, you are not in the affected group of users we are suggesting change their email address.

What is different this time, in the case of AOL, is we cannot continue to fight with them for hours upon hours when it is they who are the problem. I am willing to bet we are not the only site AOL has blacklisted for sending legitimate emails to our registered users.

Please trust me on this, if there was a way for RCUniverse to correct this problem, we would.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Iflyit

Yes, I made up that email and temporarily changed it to get around your site problem when I had an ad up. I dont check it directly/have it up all the time, as I do my main email address so I forgot to even check it. It was just a band aid fix as well which was temporary as I could not email anyone even directly from your site at all, so Yes I am affected and I am the one that started this thread as well about the issue. Part of a sites tech support job is to fix things like this, not just sit back and tell everyone to change email addresses. Thats correct you are not the only site, RCGroups gets blacklisted as well, the difference is their site tech support gets it fixed within a day or 2, so no reason RCU cant either other than they do not want to do it.

Originally Posted by JWN
Iflyit,
You are using gmail for your email and are not affected by the blacklist tactics taken by Yahoo and AOL. Because of this, you are not in the affected group of users we are suggesting change their email address.

What is different this time, in the case of AOL, is we cannot continue to fight with them for hours upon hours when it is they who are the problem. I am willing to bet we are not the only site AOL has blacklisted for sending legitimate emails to our registered users.

Please trust me on this, if there was a way for RCUniverse to correct this problem, we would.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:51 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Again, if we could fix this, we would. AOL has proven they have no intention of placing us on their whitelist no matter how many times we contact them and ask them to do so. Yahoo has stated very plainly they too have made a decision and will not reconsider. Given this, if you have an idea of how to get around being permanently blacklisted by these services, I am willing to listen to your suggestions.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Iflyit

So explain how am I receiving email from your site to my AOL address from this thread now, but I didnt receive them from my ads in the marketplace? Your replies to this thread send me a notification on my AOL address, but none on my Gmail address right now.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:13 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

AOL has always been hit or miss. Their blacklisting affects some people some of the time but not others.

Why you are not getting email to your gmail account I cannot answer. We have not had a problem with gmail in the past and I'm seeing no reports of this from anyone else. I do not have any record of your AOL address in our system so you should not be getting emails of any kind from this site to that address. Unless of course, you have your gmail account setup to forward messages to your AOL account.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Iflyit

When I click my account it has my AOL email listed, I dont see my Gmail account listed anywhere in my profile and I did not remove it.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:27 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

That's odd, but it would explain why you're not getting any emails to your GMail account.

In any case and back to the subject of this thread.

There's nothing we can do with Yahoo and AOL. They are absolutely unwilling to work with us at this point in time. Hopefully they will change their attitudes in the future.

There's nothing wrong with email delivery to GMail accounts. In fact, my email through RCU is managed by their service. With the sheer volume of messages I receive daily, I have absolutely no reason to believe they too are blocking emails, especially when we're a customer of theirs.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:11 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Would a "go around", be to use Gmail as you primary RCU email acct. and set up a forwarder in Gmail to send everything to your Yahoo or AOL account

I have some latent [email protected] emails from various people/companies that I forward to my primary gmail acct., that works for me
Old 11-17-2014, 12:39 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

You can try forwarding as you describe as that would show the message being sent to your Yahoo or AOL account a coming from Gmail, but since we have not tried that, I cannot comment on how well it would work.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:50 AM
scale only 4 me

Broke again,, had a question posted to my ad,, no pop up and no email notification... cra cra these emails came through fine (New Classified Ad Listing Confirmation)
Old 01-03-2015, 04:00 AM
scale only 4 me

Had an offer placed o above ad,, pop up worked,, email notice didn't.

I did get notice when I sent the invoice

Posting not to complain but let you know the problem still exists

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 01-03-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:08 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So now suddenly my Yahoo isn't working either. I lost a transaction because the seller thought I wasn't replying to him. Should I change my Yahoo address also that I've had for I can't remember how long?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:15 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Please read back through the beginning of this thread. Yahoo along with AOL are the two email providers affected by this problem. Why some members using AOL and Yahoo are not affected, or intermittently affected, we cannot explain. However, both Yahoo and AOL have told us they are actively blocking emails sent by RCU members.

The only option we can offer is as you suggested. Change your email address to one not provided by Yahoo or AOL.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Iflyit

Originally Posted by JWN

The only option we can offer is as you suggested. Change your email address to one not provided by Yahoo or AOL.

That does not help 100% either, when someone posts a question to one of my ads it NEVER gets sent to my gmail account. Offers do, but not questions.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:21 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Check your Gmail spam settings or contact Gmail. Be sure you specifically set your spam settings to allow emails from RCUniverse.com

I get 100% of emails sent through my ISP account. With my Gmail account, many times I never get emails sent directly to me from people not even associated with RCU.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Iflyit

I have. if they were getting blocked then all of them would be blocked, not selective ones.

Originally Posted by JWN
Check your Gmail spam settings or contact Gmail. Be sure you specifically set your spam settings to allow emails from RCUniverse.com

I get 100% of emails sent through my ISP account. With my Gmail account, many times I never get emails sent directly to me from people not even associated with RCU.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:32 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

In a perfect world, that would be true. Unfortunately it is not.

I know the answers we have been giving are not what you want to hear, but they are the only true answers there are. We have been through this with the various email providers and we have been through our email servers. Our system is NOT losing of failing to send emails and that is the honest truth. There is nothing we can do to correct problems with outside services.

Originally Posted by Iflyit
I have. if they were getting blocked then all of them would be blocked, not selective ones.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Iflyit

But this is the only site with this problem, I belong to 20-25 other message boards and no issues at all with them sending emails.

Originally Posted by JWN
In a perfect world, that would be true. Unfortunately it is not.

I know the answers we have been giving are not what you want to hear, but they are the only true answers there are. We have been through this with the various email providers and we have been through our email servers. Our system is NOT losing of failing to send emails and that is the honest truth. There is nothing we can do to correct problems with outside services.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:40 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Then how do you explain when one of my family members sends an email to my Gmail account and CC's another account and the message is never delivered to my Gmail account?

But this is the only site with this problem, I belong to 20-25 other message boards and no issues at all with them sending emails.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Iflyit

I fail to see how that has any relevance. We are talking about this site sending emails directly, not CC'ing and also sending to multiple providers that are failing. Gmail, AOL, yahoo, some of the major providers, that no other board has a issue with.

Originally Posted by JWN
Then how do you explain when one of my family members sends an email to my Gmail account and CC's another account and the message is never delivered to my Gmail account?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:54 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

It is relevant as it is an example of delivery problems to a Gmail account where RCU is not in any way involved. I am telling you through personal experience that emails sent directly to my Gmail may, or may not, be delivered reliably. We know for fact both Yahoo and AOL are black listings emails sent to their users through this site. Gmail does not appear to be black listing as there have been no reports, so far, of the sender receiving a "cannot be delivered" message. But that does not mean that Gmail is not in some way filtering emails whether they are being sent through this site, directly by a private joe, or through some other site.

I fail to see how that has any relevance. We are talking about this site sending emails directly, not CC'ing and also sending to multiple providers that are failing. Gmail, AOL, yahoo, some of the major providers, that no other board has a issue with.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Iflyit

Originally Posted by JWN
It is relevant as it is an example of delivery problems to a Gmail account where RCU is not in any way involved. I am telling you through personal experience that emails sent directly to my Gmail may, or may not, be delivered reliably. We know for fact both Yahoo and AOL are black listings emails sent to their users through this site. Gmail does not appear to be black listing as there have been no reports, so far, of the sender receiving a "cannot be delivered" message. But that does not mean that Gmail is not in some way filtering emails whether they are being sent through this site, directly by a private joe, or through some other site.
Delivered reliably and not delivered at all are 2 different things. No email is 100% reliable and there will always be lost emails, but not 100% loss of them coming from the same place. The only way I can check things is to check the site every couple hours.

RCU can get off black lists, if they wanted to put forth the effort to do so, but it seems its not that important to them so they dont.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.