Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

E-Mail Blacklisting

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 09:16 PM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Mail Blacklisting

Just thought I'd let you know that all e-mail orginating from your board is being blocked by my ISP (and probably lots of others). My ISP implemented 'Open Relay' mailserver blacklisting some time ago, and any mail from a server which allows open relay messaging is automatically bounced, I never get it.

I had to go into my profile and change my e-mail addy to the one through my club webpage to get my membership verification.

I know ISP's are using this to try and reduce spam, but I hat it because I loose a lot of legitimate e-mails.

Just thought I'd let you know.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:33 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually we don't allow relaying of any domains other than those that are ours and I just checked and we are NOT on the MAPS Blacklist which is the major email blacklist that most isp's work of off.

Our server is secure and does not allow spam or relaying. I know because I set up the mail system with all the latest patches to close all holes and stay on top of all security updates.

Check with your isp where they are getting this block from. Our ip address is 209.61.186.178.

Please email me or PM me to let me know what it is so we can resolve.

Marc
RCadmin
Old 12-04-2001, 10:09 PM
Jim D

Default Blocked addy

My primary e-mail addy is [email protected]. When I used it in the reg, I could not get the registration e-mail. I will try to find out from my ISP why you are being blocked if it is not for the Open Realy Blacklist.

BTW, My ISP Is EdgeNet (www.edge.net).
Old 12-04-2001, 10:19 PM
mvigod
Banned

Thanks. Let me know what you find.

The only thing I can think of is that I've only had this IP address for 7 months. Perhaps someone had it before me and was open to relaying. Not only are we not in the MAPS blacklist, we never have been as we don't do any bulk mailings nor has our relay ever been open (I'm paranoid).

Marc
RCadmin
Old 12-04-2001, 10:24 PM
Jim D

Default Blacklist Check

I did a blacklist check at http://relays2.osirusoft.com/cgi-bin/rbcheck.cgi and got the follwing instance of your address being blacklisted:

(127.0.0.4) 209.61.186.178 is DNSbl listed. by xbl.selwerd.cx
178.186.61.209.xbl.selwerd.cx. 86400 IN CNAME rackspace.xbl.selwerd.cx.
rackspace.xbl.selwerd.cx. 81255 IN TXT "Issac!Com (NETBLK-RSPC-2605-957389316)"
rackspace.xbl.selwerd.cx. 81255 IN TXT "Ralsky"
rackspace.xbl.selwerd.cx. 81255 IN TXT "repeated relay attempts"
about.xbl.selwerd.cx. 551331 IN TXT "please see http://selwerd.cx/xbl/"
about.xbl.selwerd.cx. 551331 IN TXT "this is not a list of open relays"
Check DNSbl Server Status

I'll still call my ISP, but maybe there is something in this for you to look at.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:56 PM
mvigod
Banned

Well....out of 25 or so blacklisting services the isp that your on is subscribing to the one that is blacklisting our ip. From what I make out it seems either they are blacklisting the entire host (rackspace) where we are at or they don't like that all our domain names don't resolve backward.

That's a tough one since we host many domains on 1 ip address and if you serve email from each one your relay won't match every domain. If I was that ISP I would stick to the MAPS list and maybe one other and dump the one that for some reason is banning this ip block. Just my opinion. They even state that they will list you even if you don't have an open relay!
Old 12-05-2001, 12:42 AM
Jim D

Default Help

Well, I called my ISP to have them look into it. But they want a copy of the bounced e-mail to see what error messages it may contain. Can you help me out here? If an autosent e-mail bounces, can you see a log of it and retrieve it for me?

If you are e-mailing from the same domain, just try sending me something directly at [email protected]. If it bounces, send the bounced message to me at [email protected].

Thanks,