Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
Reload this Page >

Verification for buyers and sellers

Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Verification for buyers and sellers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 04:26 AM
Tex Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Verification for buyers and sellers

I was just wondering how we could do a verification of sorts for people that want to sell or buy an item on RC Universe. I know that some of the other sites do not have a way to know if a person has a good reputation......... I would just like to have a way for people to feel comfortable buying from me..... and I would like to know that if I had a problem with an item....... it would be taken care of. Any ideas? Thanks, Tex
Old 12-16-2001, 04:32 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, we plan on adding user ratings with feedback comments similar to ebay to do exactly what you suggest. My only issue I have is to program the module myself or wait for a developer working on this as part of the base forum application to run with it. If they will take too long I will do it myself but if they can output the feedback module soon with the necessary features (I can modify if certain RC specific specs are needed) then I would wait if it's not going to be too long.

I felt this was a necessary feature that other sites did not employ so it is extremely high up on the "to do" list right now.

Thanks for the suggestion and welcome aboard RCUniverse! The future of RC forums. Spread the word please!
Old 12-16-2001, 04:36 AM
Tex Pilot

Thank you sir for the outstanding site. I will be informing my flying buddies.
Old 12-16-2001, 04:44 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a tough one. I've seen people verify their reputation using their record on eBay. There's always the idea of using a rating system similar to eBay. I've seen other sites implement a section for good and bad buyers/sellers. The last two ideas are fine, but it will take a while for people to really know if they can trust you or not. I think post quality also has something to do with it. The more you post messages, the more people will get to know and trust you. It's pretty obvious who's full of it, and who's sincere around here.

I really don't think their is a way to insure you're buying from an honest person until that person has built a reputation where they're selling. If they have become a viable part of RCU, then their reputation would be at stake. If they're just the occassional poster, what do they care if they aren't honest. For example, there are people I've seen on these forums for years. I've dealt with some, and others have a reputation for superior trades. I know of one gentleman that has sent out many items to the buyer before he even has the payment in his hand. If I ever need anything he's offering, you can bet I'd feel safe sending him a check. I've never met him, I've never bought anything from him before, but I've seen him around these forums for years and have read comments from several, several people with regards to his items. There are also the lurkers, who don't post very often, and maybe only when they want to sell something. These people don't really care because they're not a big contributor to the forum anyway.

Until you build a good reputation, or people get to 'know' you here, I don't think there is a sure fire way to have someone instantly trust you completely.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:20 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

I think this is a very viable idea. I have been doing trades and selling online for many years now and have yet to get really burned, a little taken, but not totally burned. When I recognize a person then I am more likely to do business with them and have on many occasions sent the item way before I get the money, or the kit we traded. Just finished one up this past week and it went fine. Open communication is very important and don't be afraid to get a phone number and call and chat a bit.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:10 PM
mvigod
Banned

I feel it is a viable tool to aid in ones decision to do business with another party. For instance, let's say you want to buy from somebody and see 100 positive user feedback points with all positive comments. Maybe some of those user comments are from other users that you trust already. You can buy with a fair amount of confidence in this scenario. Other cases may not be as clear as new users need to establish reputation but they can gain this with time.

It can only help and if used properly cannot hurt. Fortunately it is my opinion that the majority of people in this hobby relative to the general population in a statistically significant sample are extraordinarily good natured and honest when compared to the population sample in general. In other words, this hobby attracts good, fair honest people as a whole. Not to say there won't be bad seeds but they are fewer and far between then you might see in other places.

We will get the module up as soon as feasible. Want to make sure it gets out in a well implemented bug free form instead of just fast so some more thought will go into this but I promise it will be here and is a priority for me as I feel it is a great tool for traders. That is why I built this site so if it needed something I could get it done!
Old 12-17-2001, 12:54 AM
Nathan
Administrator

I look forward to it personally. I think it will be a welcome addition to RCU!
Old 12-18-2001, 04:31 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Here is a thought.

Could the board somehow be programmed to turn each purchase into and actual transaction (not just a series of messages) that the two parties involved would close when each had received the money &/or product. When the trasaction is closed, each participant would be required to check off a rating for the transaction. From this data, a rating could be established.

Yes, it's similar to what has already been discussed, it just makes sure that all sales are tracked. If it is left to someone to just post messages, only those that are really happy or really unhappy would take the time.

Just my .02

Kent
Old 12-20-2001, 02:58 AM
mvigod
Banned

In theory not a bad idea but my question is what is to make a user go back after a transaction to always rate it? Can you give a step by step description of how you think it could be done. They could still always transact off the forums via email or phone.

It can also be an issue if the buyer is not registered here. Say a user is a lurker and buys from you how can you even rate that buyer since he has not registered and the buyer cannot rate the seller until registered. Not sure if this can be done anyway other than the "honor" system. We could send out an email after a for sale thread is closed for the seller to rate the buyer if he likes and to put in the username of the buyer if registered and we could send them a message requesting that they provide user feedback.

Not much unlike ebay I guess. Ebay is a little different in that auctions close where the finality of a forum sale is different.
Old 12-20-2001, 04:04 AM
Nathan
Administrator

Using eBay as an example... if I don't want to leave a remark, I don't. If I want someone to leave a comment under my username, I request it after the transaction is complete. This does present a problem for the non-registered buyers at RCU, as they would have no way to leave feedback. In this scenario, it would be up to the seller to suggest registering so they could leave feedback about the transaction. That's one way to do it.

Another way is by implementing a "good guys" forum similar to RCO. Have one Moderator operating this forum, and have all feedback submitted through him via email. He then posts the contents of the email, and would be the only one to have posting access to this forum. He could also add additional comments on the same user from other people by continually replying to the original message. This would bump the message to the top, and allow everyone to see the amount of times that person's been dealt with, and the results of the transactions. This also would allow the guests to leave feedback as well, yet have a controlled environment without worrying about malicious acts.
Old 12-20-2001, 04:34 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Marc,

I think I can step through how it would work but your point is well taken that folks can always back channel the transaction and defeat the entire purpose of the system. We can only hope that folks recognize the value and use the system. The other incentive would be for RCU to offer an escrow service that requires the transaction to occur via the system. You could charge a small fee for the service to help fund the board. You may not want to get into the escrow business but it's a thought.

Anyway, here is how I would see it working

1) Seller posts item for sale. At the bottom of that post is a button called 'make offer.'
2) Purchaser clicks the 'make offer' button and is presented with a form to fill in the details (price, shipping, etc.) of the offer. Specific fields will formalize and clarify the process rather than just message text.
3) Seller reviews the offer form. There are two buttons for the seller to click 'Accept' or 'Decline.' You could also offer a 'Counter Offer' button that would post a counter offer from the seller.
4) If Decline then message posted declining the offer.
5) If Accept then the thread is closed and a pending transaction is created and the users are sent an email that has a link to the trasaction closure page with instructions to follow the link when the money/product has arrived.
6) The transaction closure page would contain the rating stuff

This does not address the non-registered users issue and I don't know that there is a solution to that issue without somehow incenting folks to register because the system is better than anywhere else.

This is just a quick first pass so feel free to blow holes in the process, I won't be offended.

Kent