Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

FRAUD ATTEMPT I THINK

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FRAUD ATTEMPT I THINK

this Email came the other day: 3/24/05

I wrote anderson that he had to go back to the advert and use the MAKE OFFER and I accept US Postal Money Order only. As of 5pm today no answer!

oh I may have have blown the sale [:@][&:][:'(][>:]

Bob Eckel

YOU HAVE RECEIVED A QUESTION REGARDING ITEM 86502 - KAVAN 50 CC TWIN GLOW :

--------------SCAM ALERT--------------
Do not reply to emails that offer to purchase your item using a complex cashiers check scheme or other unusual payment methods.
--------------------------------------

------------MESSAGE SENDER------------

MEMBER ID: 168096

USERNAME: j_a

------------MESSAGE START-------------

Hello ,
How are you today,I saw your advert on the rcuniverse.com,Am highly interested in purchasing your {Kavan 50 cc Twin Glow} for $1,000.00 ok.which the condition is okay by me ok,Dont worry about the shipmen t i have a reliable shipping company that will take care of the pick -up for my,anywhere in the world and my mode of payment is through Money order or Cashiers check ,i want you to forward me with your full information for the payment such as your full name that will be printed on the cheque, your full address where the check will be send to ok.get back to me as soon as possible.
Expecting your mail back,
My Regards to you and your family,
Thanks.
Anderson.

------------MESSAGE END---------------

***THE INDIVIDUAL CHOSE NOT TO POST THIS QUESTION TO THE AD LISTING***

You may respond to the member by clicking reply on this email or, if you would like to avoid similar questions on the same item, you can post your reply directly to your item listing! To do this, just return to your listing and click the "Post Comment" link under the "Discussion" area of your ad. Here is your link:

Item Link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...6502&cobrand=1

Thank you,

RC Universe Market

Old 03-25-2005, 05:17 PM
echobot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FRAUD ATTEMPT I THINK

I have seen this scam before.

I'm glad you didn't get suckered into this deal.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:34 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Bob,
You are right. It is a scam. We banned the person who sent the email earlier this morning.

Keep reporting anything that looks suspicious. We need yours and everyone else's sharp eyes to keep these guys out of RCU.

Thank you,
John
Marketplace Moderator
Old 04-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Om3ga
My Feedback: (7)

Got one again .. for the second time now

YOU HAVE RECEIVED A QUESTION REGARDING ITEM 90814 - OFNA ULTRA LX PRO W .21 PICCO SPORT:

Do not reply to emails that offer to purchase your item using a complex cashiers check scheme or other unusual payment methods.

MEMBER ID: 171919

USERNAME: ray_00

Hello ,
How are you today,I saw your advert on the rcuniverse.com,Am highly interested in purchasing your {OFNA Ultra LX Pro w .21 Picco Sport (Kit)} for $280.00 ok.which the condition is okay by me ok,Dont worry about the shipmen t i have a reliable shipping company that will take care of the pick -up for my,anywhere in the world and my mode of payment is through Money order or Cashiers check ,i want you to forward me with your full information for the payment such as your full name that will be printed on the cheque, your full address where the check will be send to ok.get back to me as soon as possible.
Thanks.
Ray.

The last time was for my raptor. lol can't they read and remeber usernames?

man don't they give up?... Rcu is such a better place to trace for rc stuff... But these peeps do really screw things up

Old 04-13-2005, 02:39 PM
rccub
My Feedback: (184)

om3ga, just received an email that is identical to yours, except they changed the name to coinside with what i am selling. i just posted my for sale ad this morning, so it doesnt take the scammers long does it. i didnt even bother to reply.
charlie
Old 04-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Om3ga
My Feedback: (7)

Don't bother to reply to them.it will be a super long story...about giving you extra money from the check

If you can forward the mail to John

john AT rcuniverse DOT com

* edited typo.. plus i'm not sure if it's alright to post john mail addy... he might have his admirers *
Old 04-13-2005, 07:50 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Hehe, thanks guys! You folks really are the best in watching out for ths type of stuff.

The person who posted the offer has been banned from the site.

Please be sure to report anything like this you may see in the future.

John
Marketplace Moderator

PS, PM or email, both work fine. The format you listed my addy is perfect as the spam bots won't be able to pick it up.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:33 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

I got one as well from some creep named roy_1 beware as it undoubtally is a scam. Will these creeps ever learn???

Pete

YOU HAVE RECEIVED A QUESTION REGARDING ITEM 92426 - 1/12TH SCALE PBR (PIBBER) BOAT KIT:

MEMBER ID: 173162

USERNAME: roy_1

Hello ,
How are you today,I saw your advert on the rcuniverse.com,Am highly interested in purchasing your {1/12th scale PBR (Pibber) boat kit (Kit)} for $250.00 ok.which the condition is okay by me ok,Dont worry about the shipmen t i have a reliable shipping company that will take care of the pick -up for my,anywhere in the world and my mode of payment is through Money order or Cashiers check ,i want you to forward me with your full information for the payment such as your full name that will be printed on the cheque, your full address where the check will be send to ok.get back to me as soon as possible.
Thanks.
Bill Roy.

------------MESSAGE END---------------

***THE INDIVIDUAL CHOSE NOT TO POST THIS QUESTION TO THE AD LISTING***

You may respond to the member by clicking reply on this email or, if you would like to avoid similar questions on the same item, you can post your reply directly to your item listing! To do this, just return to your listing and click the "Post Comment" link under the "Discussion" area of your ad. Here is your link:

Item Link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...2426&cobrand=1

Thank you,

RC Universe Market
Old 04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Pete,
You are right, this is the same scam. roy_1 has been banned.

Thank you for spotting this!

John
Marketplace Moderator
Old 05-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Tom Krasin

Hi,

I have an Hanger 9 Extra 330 newly listed for sale and I have gotten three or four of what sound like these Nigerian money scams. One guy is named: Pastor Babadudu (honest, I did not make this up) another is Johnjude Betty and the other is a named Joe Carter.

The way I tune in, is the broken english when they write these emails, sorry no offense to anyone, but you know doggone well these folks have not been born 'n bred here in the US.

I don't know how the scam works but all offer to pay with cashiers check, or moneygram drawn on a US bank (yeah right!) and they all want the last price on the item.

Anyway these guys just don't feel right - so I hit the delete button, lost sale or not.

Anyone familiar with how these scams work?

Tom Krasin [>:]
Old 05-04-2005, 09:44 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Tom,
Send me a PM so we can discuss this. None of those names are listed in the membership database and I do not see any private message activity on your ad. I would like to get a copy of those emails so I can try to track down who these guys are and how they are contacting you.

Thank you,
John
Marketplace Moderator
Old 06-10-2005, 07:08 PM
smokey68dart
My Feedback: (2)

John, this guy is trying to do this same scam on me for my ofna ob4
MEMBER ID: 181751

USERNAME: w_r77

EMAIL: [email protected]

YOU HAVE RECEIVED A QUESTION REGARDING ITEM 104793 - OFNA NITRO OB4
EXCELLENT CONDITION LOOK SELL OR TRADE:

Do not reply to emails that offer to purchase your item using a complex
cashiers check scheme or other unusual payment methods.

MEMBER ID: 181751

USERNAME: w_r77

Hello,
How are you today,I am highly interested in purchasing your OFNA
nitro OB4 excellent condition look sell or trade (RTR) for $250.00.which
the condition is okay by me ,Concirning the shipment, i have a reliable
shipping company that will take care of the pick-up for me,anywhere in
the world.I will like to make payment through a Cashier's checks/Money
Order,or money transfer.If you are okay by this i will like you to
forward me with your full information for the payment such as your full
name that will be printed on the check, your full address where the check
will be send to or your full bank account detail.hoping to hear from
you ASAP.
Best Regards,
Will.

Hello Tracey,
Thanks for your prompt response and acceptance but there is a little problem about getting the payment to you.I would have loved to wire the funds via western union money transfer but the funds on my credit card is insufficient and do not have access to recharge it due where I am now.I am presently in Belgium on documentary research in GOTHEN SAVANAH LOCATION and I need the above said for a purpose that will make my research a comprehensive one.
Immediately I saw your reply,I thought of a way out and thank God it works.I emailed my associate that is presently in Belgium and he assured me that he will help me to wire you the funds b ut anothe! r problem! that we are going! to encouter is lack of cash at the moment.He suggested a Money Orders, or Cashiers Checks to me and am very sure that you will honour it.So,kindly let me have your details such as as your FULL NAME that will be printed on it,YOUR POSTAL ADDRESS and YOUR PHONE NUMBER.
One more thing,I am still going to ship the above to my Location here in Belgium and presently,I have not seen a reputable shipping company that will handle that for me.I would have loved to give the work to an United State shipping company but learn't that Belgium Goverment doesn't welcome an International Shipping Company to convey Goods to their country.I am yet to find one and when I contacted a realiable Belgium person to enlighten me more about this,he made it known to me that The cost of shipping is highly expensive in Belgium which I don't mind due to the profit am going to make after finishing compiling my research.I am told that ! they don't als! o accept an internation Check due to the long clearance on it.Instead,the most preferable me thod of payment to them is Western union money transfer.Now I have told you about my Lack of funds and the same thing applies to my associate that will post your own payment to you.Although,I have discussed it with him to help me with the western union issue to the shipping company here in Belgium,but soonest he will be leaving United State for a conference as well and won't have enough time to see to this.He then brought a nice Idea which I abided with.He said he will be inflating the amount on the check to $2,000 whereby you will deduct your own cost and help me to transfer the remaining $1,750 to the shipper for the payment of their services.I am little bit disturbed about this because Firstly I don't know you.secondly,how do I have the trust that you will help me send the remaining funds to the shippers.I would be very happy if could w! rite back and let me know! that you will not b! etray me couple with you details that will enable you receive the payment from my associate.I a m sorry if am too harsh but everything should be handle with care.
Thanks.
Will.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:25 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Tracy,
You are correct, this is a scam. We have banned w_r77 and listed them on the scammers list.

Thank you for keeping an eye out for these guys and reporting them to us.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:33 PM
smokey68dart

ya i seen that he was banned a few year back but looks like he came back is there a time limit on the ban?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

No, there's no time limit on banned members. Once banned, they are banned forever. More than likely, this is just someone new. It's the same scam we've seen tried before and it's running rampant all over the internet.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:49 PM
smokey68dart

if you look at the post New Scam artist watch this is the same guy or am i mistaken? (it happend ONCE)
Old 06-11-2005, 12:01 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

I just compared the two accounts and it's a different person.

Time to add another notch to the post
Old 06-12-2005, 02:30 AM
alcohol burner
My Feedback: (48)

I got the same scam from JAKE10.....Name is Jake Bellon....But i called his bluff.....I did give my name and address just to see what would happen....Believe it or not, I got a "Qcheck" form internet services in the mail for the sum of $4500.00.....and of course want me to send the remainder funds back to him via western union......it is made out in my name and address....so, i am going to the bank this following week and see what the bank has to say about it......He also gave me his entire mailing info and phone number.......If this is lagitimate i will get back on here and let you know.....Not holding my breath though....also going to get online here where the chack came form and see what they have to say about it........tim
Old 06-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think we've ever had someone actually follow through with honest intentions of busting the guy. I'm curious to what you'll find and whether the authorities will be able to do anything about it.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

My younger son got one of these responses for an ad in the newspaper. I explained what I thought was going on and we followed through with it. We got the check and I took it to the bank and explained things to them. They deposited it in his savings but placed it on hold. A week later, the money was removed due to the check being drawn on an inactive account. I kept the guy on the hook through email for the whole week. I told him that we did not have Western Union in this area and asked him to send his bank account information directly to my bank and the transfer would he made. The guy was actually dumb enough to do it. The bank was good about keeping all the related information for me. I bundled all the information from them and the emails and sent it to the FBI. I never heard from them.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:51 AM
noxam
My Feedback: (18)

I just got one of these email as well. They actually sent me a check for $2500 for a $350 sale here on RCU and surprise, surprise, it did not cash. The unfortunate thing is, the account is real and the bank contacted the person who was already aware of the problem. They had also received a check for some thing here on RCU as well could have cashed it as there were ample funds in the account on the check. They were advised to contact the FBI and the US Post office, as it is both INTERNET and mail fraud. I have filed a complaint myself. The name of the guy here on RCU that contacted me was b_w104 I think. I am at work and don't have the original email, but they are exactly the same as those posted above. The check comes from with markings for QChex, which can be found at www.qchex.com. Since the check is actually real, it can be cashed but not traced apparently. Why people have to do this is beyond me.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:21 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

b_w104 doesn't show up in the account database, but the name sounds familar to someone we banned a little while back.

These guys only continue with this scam because they are successful. I wonder what the percentage of people they scam is compared to the number of offers they make.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:12 PM
noxam
My Feedback: (18)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 16:10
To: [email protected]
Subject: Question Re: Item 111360 in R/C Marketplace

YOU HAVE RECEIVED A QUESTION REGARDING ITEM 111360 - SEAGULL LASER 200 - 1.20 ARF :

MEMBER ID: 187625

USERNAME: b_w45

Hello,
How are you today,I am highly interested in purchasing your Seagull Laser 200 - 1.20 ARF (ARF) for $350.00.which the condition is okay by me ,Concirning the shipment, i have a reliable shipping company that will take care of the pick-up for me,anywhere in the world.I will like to make payment through a Cashier's checks/Money Order,or money transfer.If you are okay by this i will like you to forward me with your full information for the payment such as your full name that will be printed on the check, your full address where the check will be send to or your full bank account detail.hoping to hear from you ASAP. Best Regards, Watson.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:28 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

We banned b_w45 last week. He's one of the latest additions to the scammer list on the security page of the market
Old 07-26-2005, 05:07 PM
DJW

There is a scam going on through Q check. I have the same E- mail from a man named Will Ray or Will
Roy. I contacted the company the check was issued from (Eagle Printing in Arizona) and she said the FBI was involved in tracking this person down. I would advise RC Universe to send an E-mail to all members to avoid these type of scams. Get this, when I did not send him his funds he sent me a nasty E-mail with profanity. I cant wait for the FBI to bust this jerk.

Note *** Eagle Printing is the Victim in this case. They are a reputable company who's bank information was stolen. They have nothing to do with the Scam.
[/size][/size]

Donald

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.