Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
Reload this Page >

purchase made in the marketplace

Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

purchase made in the marketplace

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 07:32 PM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchase made in the marketplace

I just purchased a plane from the marketplace here on rcu. it was advertised that it has a full time onboard glo system (which it does) when I picked up the plane it did infact have an onboard glo system installed but no way to charge it. I was advised to goto radioshack and buy the parts to make a charger myself. shouldnt I have been given the charger that has been used to charge this system in the past??? what good is onboard glo on a twin if you can not charge it.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:39 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: purchase made in the marketplace

While one would normally assume the charger would be included with the unit itself, buyers must be careful not to assume anything when buying somethig second hand. Bottom line, always get a full break down of everything included in a deal before commiting to it.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:07 PM
pauluk2w

I am planning on emailing the seller to get the part numbers so I can build a charger so I can use the onboard glo system that was advertised with the plane. I never asked about a charger when making the deal as I assumed it would be included after all what is the point of mentioning it as part of a selling point if it cannot be used. OH well I know what to do in future
Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Is it possible you can contact the glow driver manufacturer and buy the charger ready made?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:06 PM
pauluk2w

I am not sure I do not know who made it. no big deal I guess. I will have to find out what it needs and buy them. Overall I am very happy with the plane. There are a few things I will need to do for peace of mind like removing the standard servo's that were fitted due to the fact I would not trust standard non ball bearing servo's on a 15 lb plane that has a 103" wingspan (I would never fit standards like these to any plane that i fly)
Old 02-12-2006, 04:33 PM
CSpierings
My Feedback: (29)

Paul,

You knew you weren't getting the charger with the plane. Lets do some quick math:

2 52 Four strokes $130 new
Spring Air Gear $150 with the air control stuff
Robart retractible tail wheel and actuating valve $80
$150 balsa to build the plane
$85 worth of covering
$10 wheels at least that much
4 Hangar 9 pilot figurs $40
Cowls if you have someone make them $25-35 ea
Battery $25
Switch and charge jack $20
8+ servos yep they are standard size but I've flown that plane for years on them and never had a problem. One high Torque DAD which is 80 ounces and metal geared on the elevator. The throttle servos are miniatures and more expensive but lets say $12 a piece.
2 NiMH batteries for on board glow $9 each
I won't even go into the cost for props, spinners, glue, hardware, moldings and time. I the price I was comfortable with. We dicussed the charging twice once at pick up and I gave you the url to my personal web page where the part numbers at radio shack are called out to make up charge leads and the charger model number is provided. You also have my cell phone number.

If you think you got ripped off I'd be happy to give you the money back and you give me the airplane back in the condition I gave it to you.

I know that there is a lot more money tied up in that airplane than you paid for it. Doing the math above we start getting up $800+ dollars and if I kept going on the stuff that was in there I'm pretty sure we could get to close a grand in hurry. I'm Ok with the deal we made I'm sorry you feel it wasn't such a good deal and my offer still stands to take the plane back.

As for the standard servos if running higher torque and ball bearing servos will give you more confidence in flying it then by all means do so. It doesn't need it, in fact the first model of that plane had flown over 12 years using standard servos. The guy flying that one delighted in flying loops, rolls and other manuvers that weren't scale but always took the breath of the spectators away. If you do go the high torque route remember to make sure you look at whether you'll have enough battery.

Like I've said in a number of emails give me a call in you have questions. There are other people out there flying these planes maybe they can help you too, I've helped most of them get going and they've had good luck with the plane. In case you don't want to go dig for the url for the info on the homemade on board glow go to http://www.spieringswi.com/onboardglow/glow.htm it has a picture of the charger I use on the page.

Take care,
Chris