Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

non rc market catogory

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:30 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non rc market catogory

what happened to the non rc forsale and trade area in the market place ?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:56 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: non rc market catogory

Non-RC was removed when we launched Kaango.com. Kaango is our sister sites where members can post classified ads the same as they do here on RCU. But, unlike RCU, Kaango is tied in with several major newspaper markets across the country with more coming on line all of the time. Your non-ProSeller ads will remain free on Kaango just as they were on RCU. The benefit to you as a seller however is that your non-RC item ad will have far greater exposure to a much larger audience of perspective buyers.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:48 PM
SpiTBandiT

kango is nothing like the non rc area... the non rc area was a place for rc guys to trade non rc stuff for other rc stuff. Gonna miss the non rc area. I tryed kango and was not impressed at all oh well
Old 06-16-2006, 09:15 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

What makes Kaango a better place for you, the seller, to post your non-RC items is that your potential buyer pool is much larger larger than here on RCUniverse. Here, you are limited to other RC'rs though you are trying to sell non-RC items. On Kaango, your ad is opened up to the entire general public!

What do you not like about Kaango?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:50 AM
xilix

What I think he's trying to say is that all he wants to do is trade his non-RC items for RC items. I want to do this as well, but the probability of Kaango.com actually producing a deal like this is hopelessly remote. This kind of trade deal will primarily only exist in the RCU marketplace or other RC marketplaces like it.

Nowhere else could I post a non-RC item with the hopes of getting RC in trade, and actually have a good chance of succeeding. Money and networking does make the world go 'round, I understand this. But removing the non-RC area has made my experience here on RCU less enjoyable and far less usefull. The sad part is that there really isn't any other place I can go.

So basically in order to obtain an RC item in return for my camera, I have to go through the trouble of selling it on some site I've never used before, and then using that money to then buy the RC item. More-over, there is inherent risk in selling things via the internet, which means that I not only have to endure taking that risk once, but twice in order to achieve my objective. Which to me is just completely illogical.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:15 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Your concern over risk in selling is quite opposite of the truth. In trades, there is absolutely zero protection afforded to you. You cannot rely on Paypal, a credit card company or even Escrow.com to protect you in a trade because none of those services provide "trade" protection. OTOH, you can use any or a combination of those mediums to handle a sale so that you will be assured of getting your money or item. Buying and selling are simply far less risky with the options available to you than a trade will ever be.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:31 PM
xilix

ORIGINAL: JWN

Your concern over risk in selling is quite opposite of the truth. In trades, there is absolutely zero protection afforded to you. You cannot rely on Paypal, a credit card company or even Escrow.com to protect you in a trade because none of those services provide "trade" protection. OTOH, you can use any or a combination of those mediums to handle a sale so that you will be assured of getting your money or item. Buying and selling are simply far less risky with the options available to you than a trade will ever be.
There is risk in both. The fact you can recuperate the losses made from a sour sale through an endless array of headache-inducing E-mails and long phone-calls with people who can't speak english, doesn't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. In a trade I have the persons home address, member ratings, phone number and full name, which is pretty much all I need. I'm sure Kaango.com is a great way of selling a non-RC item quicker than RCU would, but I can't trade on it.

All I want to do is trade my non-RC item for an RC item. But I guess I'm S.O.L.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:46 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

If you buy/sell with someone, you have the exact same information. You can still end up with the same email headaches no matter what type of transaction it is.

Why would you want to risk a trade when you can do a transaction which some security?
Old 06-19-2006, 01:43 PM
xilix

Because I like that option regardless of the risk involved. The ratings system is a great tool to get a sense of whether or not you're going to get ripped off. The people with good ratings never ship first to a person who has little to no ratings. This is how the person with lesser ratings earns better ratings for trade deals over time. And so on and so fourth. After a while a tight community of traders develops, and hardly anyone in that community would ever rip someone off and put that reputation at risk.

People with high ratings have peice of mind because they do not ship first, people with lesser ratings have piece of mind because the person they're shipping to has high ratings with a history of good business ethic. It's a pretty good system if you ask me.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:47 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

You are correct. The ratings system is an excellent tool to review a members history prior to commiting to a transaction. But that still does not protect you in the event member either fails to ship as promised, or ships you something other than what they agreed to. Trades are simply a higher risk than a straight buy/sell transaction.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:58 PM
xilix

I dunno man, if people can still trade RC for RC I think I should be able to trade my non-RC for RC. But I guess I'll just have to sell and buy if that's not a possibility.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

The decision to remove non-R/C from the site was made to take us back to our core which is, Radio Control modeling. In this way, we can concentrate more on R/C instead of trying to be a jack of all trades. So far, the majority of responses have been quite favorable to this move.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:59 PM
xilix

So non-RC items in the marketplace sways the entire focus of the site. I see.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:12 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

No, it's just not part of the core interest of the site.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:50 AM
SpiTBandiT

I personally dont like kango because from what I can tell you have people selling totally different items than what ppl use to sell on here. One thing I really liked it say you have some old junk ie- Old CD rom or something like that, ok you post it on RCU non rc forum and your practiclly worthless cdrom drive or whatever is worth trading to someone who wants it and has maybe a worthless prop or something like that. kango cant do that, and it seems like it catters to another catagory of ppl than the guys we have on here. I checked it out and was browsing, you need to make the format similar to the rcu market place, would work better I think. One thing that I was amazed to not see was electronics, or MISC non catagorized area. Just my opinion GL
Old 06-22-2006, 05:20 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Kaango is for everyone, not just RC modelers. It is tied in with several major newspaper markets across the entire U.S..

Electronics is located under Merchandise. The layout is actually very similar to the RCU marketplace. Categories are listed on the left with ads on the right. Browsing filters are located above both of these areas just like you see in the marketplace. The colors are different and text sizes a little different which may give the impression that the layout is more different than it really is.

If you are able to find someone interested in a practically worthless item on RCU, you will have no problem at all finding someone on Kaango who is also interested in it as you have a far greater audience of potential buyers. True, you cannot trade, but as discussed earlier, trades are far more risky than a straight buy/sell anyway.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:27 PM
SpiTBandiT

just dont think it will ever fly like the non rc area, guess you have reasons but we would like to see the non rc area returned.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:34 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Newspaper classifieds are far and away larger than our little RCUniverse. Consider how many people you know who read the newspaper and compare that to the number of people you know who are in the RC hobby. All of those newspaper readers are potential buyers.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 PM
SpiTBandiT

No offense bossman, but kaango is garbage. This is my new review of your sister site. Alot of the post's are in wrong places, the thumbnails that show what city is bad, I wanna see item pics not some thumbnail of where the item is located. Why dont you use the same format as RCU? I think alot more ppl would respond to that. Its very un user freindly is the feel I have gotten from it and I have attempted to browse several times. Mojority of the posts were spam also which is a big turn off. One add I can think of was something like this "Mitsubishi Tv's Ill help you buy without credit check bla bla"

I dunno wish the non rc market would come back here or you would make some changes to kaango [&o]
Old 06-27-2006, 10:00 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

I appreciate your candor, but I must again point out the format is the same as RCUniverse.

Remember, you are looking at a site which is aimed at the newspaper market. There are going to be a lot of different types of ads shown, not just what you are used to seeing here on RCU. We are also still working on expanding the functionality just as we are with this site. The lack of thumbnails is much the same as you have here when someone either elects to not use the photo we already have, or they post an item which is not in the Product Guide. If someone posts an ad without a photo, the thumbnail shows a camera. In the case of Kaango, there isn't even a Product Guide from which to provide a stock photo. Instead of using the camera picture, we instead show you where the item is located so that at least some information about the item can be gained without having to click in to the ad.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:05 PM
SpiTBandiT

Understandable on items without pictures. WE JUST TRYING TO SAY WE WANT OUR NON RC MARKET BACK! It is taking nothing from the rc aspect, alot of guys that enjoy this hobby enjoy other similar hobbies and alot of the stuff found on the non rc market is stuff you couldnt find elsewhere. Example: I never knew I wanted a ups racing team clock, but I saw it here.

How many ppl do I need to say they want the non rc area back before you will put it back ???? [8D]
Old 06-27-2006, 11:11 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Right now, I think it's safe to say the non-RC category is not coming back. RC is the core of RCUniverse and the decision has been made to stay with our core interest area.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:14 AM
SpiTBandiT

[:'(] oh well
Old 07-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Wart Hog
My Feedback: (22)

I really liked the non RC on here as well. Is there any way to tie the Kaango to RCU and have a forum on there which will tie in to the core interest of this site as well?
Afterall, it is tied in to the newspaper markets.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:25 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

It's pretty tough to create a single category on Kaango.com which would provide the kind of exposure your ads deserve without placing them in a more descriptive category such as those already in place. Remember, by placing your non-rc ads on Kaango.com, your ads get far more exposure to prospective buyers than they would otherwise get on a site like RCUniverse.com.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.