Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
Reload this Page >

Locked out of discussion/mods scared of different opinion!

Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Locked out of discussion/mods scared of different opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:26 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked out of discussion/mods scared of different opinion!

I put my two cents in about a problem with the market place and now I've been locked out and can't enter into the discussion. What's the matter with you moderators- truth hurts sometimes doesn't it! I had the same complaint as thtoyman and was discussing it with him and now I've been locked out from posting. If you aren't part of the solution then you may be part of the problem. There are some rules in the market place that need to be addressed so that the buyer has some rights and protection just as the seller does. It is way too one sided at the present time. WHY CAN"T WE DISCUSS THIS AMONG OURSELVES!
Fred
Old 07-24-2006, 11:45 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Locked out of discussion/mods scared of different opinion!

Fred,
You were not locked out of the thread. The thread was removed at thtoyman's request. This had nothing to do with anyone being afraid of your opinion, which we are not, or anything else you stated. It was done at thtoyman's request and nothing more.

So let's have a discussion about this. What do you feel specifically about the way the marketplace is operated needs to be addressed? How do you feel you have been wronged? FWIW, the buyer does have rights and protection just as a seller does. But, you obviously feel differently so please let me know how you feel things can be improved.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:08 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John, When I just went to the posting by toyman it was still out there to be viewed but when I tried to post it said I was not allowed to do so. I was also kept from pm-ing him.
It was a long time ago but I tried to find the exact transactions I was involved in but they've all been deleted from my system. Two or three times I put in my full price offer for engines and they were sold to other buyers. Both times I was the first to make an offer and I offered the full exact price asked for the items. In the discussion I had with the moderators I was told the sellers could sell to anyone they wanted to and just because I was the first offer did not mean a thing. The moderators told me[very nicely] about different reasons the seller preferred to sell to someone else such as receiving a higher offer or the other buyer living closer so the postage would be less.. When I said it was for sale at a set price and not an auction they told me that was just too bad and the seller could do what he wanted. I say the buyer has to have some way to rate these sellers that operate this way so that everyone will know about their lack of integrity. RCU has an auction so let them use it if that's what they prefer.
Who makes the rules? If enough of us get tired of the way it is what can we do to change things so that it is fair for the buyer as well as the seller?
Fred
Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fred,
You are correct in your statements that a seller is not required to accept any offer, even if it is for the full amount and/or the first offer made. This works the same as any newspaper classified. It is at the sellers sole discretion as to who they wish to sell to and why. Location could be reason as could be the prospective buyers feedback history. Classified ads are to be run as such and not an auction. If we find someone is trying to run a classified as an auction, we contact them and help them understand why this is not appropriate. There is no way to force a seller to sell to a specific person. The item they are selling is there own personal property and we offer a free service for them to post their ads. Because of this, sellers are free to run and administer their ads as they wish. If a seller does not accept an offer, then no transaction is in place and feedback is not warranted. Think about how much of a mess it would be if everyone who ever posted an offer on an ad could automatically leave feedback. Everyone who ever posted an ad would have more negative than positive because everyone whose offer was not accepted would post negative. Feedback is intended to allow members to post their experience with others they have had a transaction with, not about transactions that never happened because an offer wasn't even accepted. Imagine how useless the feedback system would be if the majority of what was posted read "I hate this guy because he wouldn't accept my offer. I'm never dealing with him again."

But that does not mean buyers have no rights. You ultimately have the power of your wallet. If a seller doesn't accept your full price offer, are you likely to consider making another offer on one of their ads? Not likely. If that happens enough, the seller will have a tough time selling anything because too many people will feel it is a waste of their time to even post an offer. We have several features on the site to allow prospective buyers to get a feel for a seller before they make an offer. We have feedback of course, but we also post the average time it takes for a seller to respond to questions and offers. If the seller is slow to respond, you'll know it as soon as you open their ad. Would you want to buy from someone who takes several days to respond? Not I!

Remember, and this is posted in the marketplace, just because you make an offer does not mean you have a contract with the seller. By making an offer, you are only opening the door to negotiate a deal with the seller, nothing more. And, up to the point your offer is accepted by the seller, you have the right to withdraw it for any reason you wish without worry of reprecusion of negative feedback from the seller. You can even back out simply because he types IN ALL CAPS or doesn't know how to spell. Auctions are different in that the seller must sell to the highest bid above the reserve price, but RCUniverse no longer offers auctions so we don't have to worry about that anymore.

Who makes the rules? The site owners. But the vast majority of the rules and processes used on the site were put in place after several months of feedback from the general membership. What can you do? Exactly what you are doing now. Voicing your disapproval. We read and consider each and every suggestion or complaint whether it's posted in the forums or through email.

On the thtoyman thread, you probably tried to access it at the very same time it was being removed. This was not intentional. Why you could not PM him I cannot say, but you can still look him up in the member database and PM him through his profile. We have not blocked you from that in any way.