Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
Reload this Page >

Irritating Multiple Offer Trend in the Marketplace

Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Irritating Multiple Offer Trend in the Marketplace

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irritating Multiple Offer Trend in the Marketplace

As an occasional seller here on RCU, I've noticed an irritating trend recently - not only withtwo of my listings, but apparently with other members' listingsas well.

An item will be posted (generally with a reasonable price), andsomeone will place SEVERAL offers on this item. The amounts of the offersare hidden from the public. In my experiences these were"low ball" offers - all from the same member and for the same amount.
When an interested viewer hovers over a listing, he sees only the NUMBER of offers that have been made on the item.

I think that the presence of these multiple offers tends to "poison" the listing to others who otherwise might be inclined to make an offer.
I think that when someone sees thatseveral offers have already made on an item,they may be inclined to feel that thereisn't any point inmaking an offer too, as the item is likely either as good as sold - or that they would have to offer much more than thesellersaskingprice.
Of course as a seller you can reject these offers (and block thesubmitter from your listings), but these hiddenoffers will still show as having been made.
I have had this occur with two listings I have placed. In looking for other listings with multiple offers, I have seen a number where the multiple offers were all made within a few minutes of each other, and they weresometimesmadean hour or twoafter the listing first appeared. As such, I strongly suspect that these are cases of the above mentioned scenario.
I don't know if anyone else sees this as a problem or not.

Possible solutionsthough,might be:
1. Show ONLY the presence of the LAST and/or HIGHEST offer (even if a hidden amount) from any individual member.
2. Allow the listing member to REMOVE any evidence of these multiple low ball offers.
or
3. SHOW THE AMOUNT of any rejected offers - even if they were made with the amount hidden.
(And perhapsinclude a line for the seller to explain the reason forrejecting the offer - such as for a full price offer with unreasonable paymentterms or the like.)

Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 PM
qldviking

Default RE: Irritating Multiple Offer Trend in the Marketplace

As a regular shopper on rcu I have noticed the same.  I also never show what my offers are,  often enough my offers are ask price or close.  Having spoken to several sellers I found out that many hidden offers are low ball,  and never put me off from placing a bid if I am ineterested, I'll bid what the item is worth to me, and let my rates talk for me, I also usually get the item I am after.  There was one item I bid on some time ago that had 9 bids on it,  I got it for the sellers ask price, whether the other offers were all lowball, or the seller liked my rates the best I dont know.  In some ways its like ebay,  a spate of offers then nothing till close to closing time, if none are accepted straight away.   In these times i find if I am interested I'll just put in what I think is a fair offer, and usually my offers are accepted within a day.  I will occasionally place a 2nd offer if thinking it over I feel its worth more, particularly if I research the item in question, it doesnt happen often tho. I spoke to one guy who had one clown put a number of offers in,   he laughed, the offers were so low he didnt even contemplate them.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Silvaire

gldviking,

As an experienced and fairly savvy buyer/seller, I feel pretty much the same as you.

I see this "multiple offers technique" as an attempt to bully others from making offers though.

A question for potential buyers:
Suppose an item has an offer on it - andthe ammount is SHOWN, and it is for FULL PRICE.
The seller has REJECTED this full price offer.
Would you then be willing to make a fair offer - perhaps even forLESS than sellers offered price?

If I weren't already pretty knowledgable about the process, Iwouldn't be inclined to do so. What isn't known to others is that the offermay have beenmade by someone with a very poor feedback, or wanted lengthy payment terms, or free shipping from the USAto Australia, or the like.

It is effectthatthesehidden multiple offers may haveonmy potential customers that I am concerned about...
Old 06-02-2009, 09:19 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I can see the potential problem this may cause for some would be buyers.

I am like viking in that any amount of offers will not deter me from putting an offer in on an item. I am unlike viking in that I very frequently will low ball big time and thus almost never get the item.

I guess it would be nice to here from the buyers who are deterred from making an offer by the quantity or amount of pending offers. IN the meantime I am trying to reflect on the purpose of the offers showing up to other buyers and wonder if the seller should have control over deleting them after rejecting them. Possibly the ability of  "hiding" them like "hiding" posts on an add would suffice?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
qldviking

yqw
A couple interesting points there.
If I need a little time to pay ( I am on disability) I willPM the seller asking if payment terms are acceptable, I will also in the PM outline what I am able to pay in what time frame.
A good point too, where a seller has rejected ask price offer, and as you have said usually coz the bidder has poor feedback or wants sent to timbuctoo etc for free. I have several buddies in the US who will happily send on anything I buy thats US shipping only.

I see where you are coming from, and to a point I also agree with you. the only solution I can see is to put a column in the view offers section with simple codes, eg a = lowball, b= wont accept paypal, etc etc
maybe they can look into it, but as is said every time you do put an offer in, its the sellers choice who he sells to. another option to would be to limit offers to 1 per day for any bidder, but that will have its drawbacks too. one thing a seller can do and many do now is put a minimum limit on what offers will go through, that will stop a lot of the lowball offers even showing

edited for typonesia

Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 PM
guver

There is a low-ball protection when putting the price on an add. Does that do the trick?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Silvaire

Yes,  there is a low ball feature.

If I think my best strategy for selling something is to post my rock bottom price and hold firm on it, I will use it.

However if that item is heavy/bulky and fairly expensive to ship long distances (and cheap to ship short distances), I can't reasonably offer it with free shipping. 

That dosen't stop the chiselers/lowballers from making offers though - with the last word in their offer being "shipped".......[:'(]
Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 PM
guver

That's exactly what I do. Iput the lowest price on the add and occasionally give free shipping. Try out the low-ball offer protection by editing your add if you want. It's on the screen where you put the price in. It can be removed later if you want.

It still may be interesting to hear from buyers who may be intimidated by others pending or rejected offers. I can sure see where it might "poison" the add for many people.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Silvaire

Actually, I don't mind fielding a number of legitimate offers from a number of different folks - fair, high or low.

The TWO things that bother me:

A mass of hidden offers from one person who is intentionally trying to intimidate other interested parties.

A revealed full price offer from someone with either bad ratings or who is presentingunacceptableterms.

Since posting this subject, a solution came to mind...

Were I "King of RCU", I would make the following changes:

I wouldNOThave the number of offers made shown while hovering over the ad. It is good to have some additional info shown while hovering, but I don't see the point inincludingthe number of offers here. This information could be seen when clicking on the "see offers" link within the ad.

If the seller has rejected an offer or if an offer has been withdrawn,it is NO LONGER A VALID OFFER, and I wouldnot show anyout-of-play offers - period.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

First off Many multiple offers are due to a BUG in the make Offer system, once you hit the button the page shows an error.. But It actually placed the offer anyway and the guy making the offer just make another attempt unknowingly .... this has been a long term issue... and then you do have some that are just playing around....

For Me if its a reasonable or Fair price I buy it, if its listed too high I pass.... But I pay very quick, post feedback ASAP or faster and don't bug the seller because the mail is slow....

2ND If I see many offers 4+ Pending it does cause me to pass on it in most cases, if it is something I want I will bookmark it and check back.

3rdly Sellers need to take more care in their ads, Missing info is too common and getting annoying. Why do I have to send questions just to find out what type Payments accepted, Specs, Complete or the Condition etc.

4TH and Final, No Swap Board is doing anyone any good by allowing the general transactions to be hidden, it makes it easier for the low-ballers to play with out being outed and highly increases Scam potential.. Only the actual payment trans / personal info should be hidden and the rest of a deal posted to a public board should be recorded (shown / exposed) publicly.

..Item listed and any interest / offers in plain view, with the ability to delete unwanted clutter by the thread starter.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM
qldviking

I agree with points 1 &  3     am ambivalent about point 2 and disagree with point 4.   if I am trying to deal with a guy I do not want it public knowl;edge, either who or the figures.  If that were to come to pass I will stop shopping instantly, and I know many others that would too. Just look at how many offers are accepted that were hidden,  Not all of us who want privacy are lowballers or scammers by any means. As far as I am concerned its none of your business what I am offering to another seller.  I agree far too many dont list details and specs,  I bypass them every time, as I have found they are also most likely to be as slack carrying out thier end of the deal too.  Also I got sick of looking for the specs and then finding out I cant use / dont need anyway.    As for the clutter of lowballers,  make it a must do to put in a minimum price,  that will slow down if not stop them.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 AM
WORNBOOTS

ORIGINAL: qldviking

I agree with points 1 & 3 am ambivalent about point 2 and disagree with point 4. if I am trying to deal with a guy I do not want it public knowl;edge, either who or the figures. If that were to come to pass I will stop shopping instantly, and I know many others that would too.Just look at how many offers are accepted that were hidden, Not all of us who want privacy are lowballers or scammers by any means. As far as I am concerned its none of your business what I am offering to anotherseller. I agree far too many dont list details and specs, I bypass them every time, as I have found they are also most likely to be as slack carrying out thier end of the deal too. Also I got sick of looking for the specs and then finding out I cant use / dont need anyway. As for the clutter of lowballers, make it a must do to put ina minimum price, that will slow down if not stop them.
I agree with that, it has always made me leary of how the rest of the deal will tun out when it shows very little effort from the beginning .......

Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 AM
WORNBOOTS

I agree with points 1 & 3 am ambivalent about point 2 and disagree with point 4. if I am trying to deal with a guy I do not want it public knowl;edge, either who or the figures. If that were to come to pass I will stop shopping instantly, and I know many others that would too.Just look at how many offers are accepted that were hidden, Not all of us who want privacy are lowballers or scammers by any means. As far as I am concerned its none of your business what I am offering to anotherseller. I agree far too many dont list details and specs, I bypass them every time, as I have found they are also most likely to be as slack carrying out thier end of the deal too. Also I got sick of looking for the specs and then finding out I cant use / dont need anyway. As for the clutter of lowballers, make it a must do to put ina minimum price, that will slow down if not stop them.
4TH and Final, No Swap Board is doing anyone any good by allowing the general transactions to be hidden, it makes it easier for the low-ballers to play with out being outed and highly increases Scam potential.. Only the actual payment trans / personal info should be hidden and the rest of a deal posted to a public board should be recorded (shown / exposed) publicly.

..Item listed and any interest / offers in plain view, with the ability to delete unwanted clutter by the thread starter.
My point on it being in plain view is mainly targeted at those who are trying to hide, schill or be obnoxious in general, its just no good practice to provide a scammer the tools to be able to hide behind.
Even the guy who wants a better price then the seller is asking should be willing to show up-front what he is offering, if it is less then the asking price and reasonable why would you be against disclosing that. ?? but I mainly buy and very seldom sell so Irealy don't get all this anyway...

Dan Z

Old 06-03-2009, 10:29 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take a look at this and see where we can make improvements or options perhaps.  I'm sort of moving from one area of the site to another in terms of updates, bug fixes, enhancements. 

I mostly have search options under control for the forums with new and old search up and running.  the new editors are in place but fixing up some lagging bugs and browser issues for some edge cases there.  I have lots of things I want to update in the marketplace and the list there grows.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 AM
qldviking

I totally disagree, I have just finished talking to a number of my buddy's who shop on here too, and we are all in agreement, if we have to show our offers we will simply shop elsewhere. We are all of the same feeling that we DONT need to advertise our dealings just so as some other clown can come in and trey to backdoor on the deal. If you want that system in, stick to fleabay, because if rcu brings it in its the sellers who will lose because we wont even look. there are other sites that dont disclose offers etc, even if rcu is my favourite site. the only people we can see wanting this broufght in are nosey parkers, and those that will try to bid over at last minute but too weak to put an honest offer in to begin with. We do not want to see the classifieds here turn into another fleabay
Old 06-03-2009, 11:45 AM
WORNBOOTS

I guess that makes sense in a way... thanks

Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM
mvigod
Banned

The option under consideration are removing view offers from the ad completely or showing  it.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:53 AM
qldviking

a suggestion if I may,   how about automatic removal of rejected offers?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
WORNBOOTS

Removing it completely will be better for all despite their intentions..

Showing all offers will add to the "bidding war", and increase the sale price etc, but if linked with the actual members name will decrease lowballers and gamers who purposely make ridiculous offers or requests.

Tough decision ?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 PM
qldviking

after some serious thought, I believe that classifieds should have a mandatory minimum with an automated rejected offer removal,  This will block most lowballers, and still show prospective bidders some idea of the genuine interest in the item.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Silvaire

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

The option under consideration are removing view offers from the ad completely or showing it.
Idon't think that "removing view offers" is a bad idea.

Whenoffers areshown, there can be (at least) two forms of abuse:

1. Interested buyers makingmultiple offers to intimidate other potential offerers on items at or below market value.

2. Sellers using "sock puppet account" offers to artificially inflate the interest in their item that ispriced above market value.

I really don't see any downsideineliminating the showing of offers.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 PM
WORNBOOTS

Why not just allow the Seller to post the ad including all details, and not show any responses buy perspective buyers.

"A Newspaperized" listing of sorts.. Then buyers only use the PM system or something like it ?

Keeping the Invoicing / Payment option private and allowing the Seller to select whoever he chooses as the buyer'.
  He can then use a Sold Format to reflect final sale price, feedback and to maybe to who if necessary.

All is hidden except the Item, its sold price and seller / buyer ratings, also it would require much less resources as there would be no direct replies to the posts.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:31 PM
mvigod
Banned

after some serious thought, I believe that classifieds should have a mandatory minimum with an automated rejected offer removal, This will block most lowballers, and still show prospective bidders some idea of the genuine interest in the item.
We have had this feature for 7 years. It is called the Lowball Feature. When you set your price right above that is the Lowball entry. You can set an amount there to reject anything under that "reserve" amount. If an offer is made under your lowball number it is rejected automatically.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 PM
qldviking

with no replies to poists the seller could well end up up replying to the same question again and again.  Just tidy up the view offers, and set low minimums will go a long way to sorting the lowballers and fools out
Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Silvaire

Ithink the real question RCadmin shouldconsider is:

Is there any real benefit to the MarketPlace in showing ANY aspect of any offers made, to anyoneOTHER than to the seller?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.