Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NOOB battery questions

Well I'm new to this whole electric thing. Been running 1/10 & 1/8 scale nitro for years, & after seeing these 4wd buggies run I just had to have one. I've searched through many, many posts & it's getting old so I'm starting a new one....
    I just bought a Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 with KMC conversion to use saddle packs (picture below)
    Now for my battery options. I will be racing 1 or 2 times a week, usually 2-4 5 min heats, & 10 minute mains. Trying to figure out my best options...I know a little about Nimh batteries (discharging & equalizing) but know very little about LiPo
    This is what I'm trying to decide on...2 or 3, 3800-4200 nimh top quality 6 cell saddle packs or 1 LiPo saddle pack.
    Questions on LiPo....
    -I would either be getting the maxamps 4400 or 5500 2S LiPo. http://maxamps.com/products.php?cat=54 Which leads to my next question...are both of these packs the same size? Will they work in my buggy? Will I need to mod anything?
    -Will one LiPo fit my racing needs?
    -Is there any maintenance involved with LiPo (discharging, equalizing)?
    -After a 5 min heat, can I just plug it in to the charger & top it off for the next race? How long should it take to peak between races?
    -What kind of runtimes am I looking at compared to nimh? If I win the 5 min "B" main & move on to a 10 min "A" main will the LiPo make it through the "A" main without recharging?
    -How will my performance differ between the 2 different types of packs?
    -It seems like in the long run, if I only have to buy one pack & a charger, that LiPo is the best bang for my buck...correct me if I'm wrong.
    BTW I'll be running a Mamba Max 7700...which I have already purchased.
    Sorry for the long post, your advice is much appreciated

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NOOB battery questions

Beast, for starters take the time to do some more research on Li-Po's. I don't want to sound harsh or do I want to scare you away from them...............but take the time and do some studying. These packs can be dangerous and need to be dealt with in a different way from Hydrides and Cads............check out the "sticky threads" here...... http://www.rcgroups.com/batteries-and-chargers-129/ .........as for pack sizes the info you require is listed with our packs on our web site.........Li-Po's don't need to be discharged but balanceing them is a must............you'll get longer runtimes with Li-Po's and the power will blow you away.............just take the time to get familiar with them first............
    Jason
    MaxAmps Marketing Manager/Tech Support
    Jason@maxamps.com
    www.maxamps.com