Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Balance and Advice

Never ran Lipo's.. seen someone with one and can't wait to get them.
    In my research (asking the people who use them) I have been getting odd (contradicting) answers.

First. If I buy say the 7.4 20C ?2 cell? 5000mah packs from MaxAmps.com will I need to also buy, and here's the first question, and USE the balancer for every charge cycle? I have been told yes, use it every time, and No, with a 2 cell pack you only need to use it every 10 or so cycles to make sure they stay regulated.

Second, I will be running a LRP sphere TC spec ESC and a Vector (also LRP) 4.5 blrushless motor. What do you recommend for competitive racing in an Associated TC5? (I listed the 5000mah 7.4 as It looks like it would fit the battery area fine= but never having held one I am unsure)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Balance and Advice

I can't help on the specific battery recommendation because I usually recommend going with the largest that will fit. If you're racing you don't want to carry around any extra weight right? A TC-5 with brushless on your specific track and runtime will determine the minimum battery. The 5000 is about the largest that'll fit in where 6 subC cells were.

On the balancing , most people who balance recommend it and those who balance blindly every time recommend that. Your pack may never need balancing, but should at least be checked when new and then after 1 run, 5 runs, 10, then 20 or 30 and so on. Once a history is established , the need for balancing is real predictable (unless somethng go haywire with battery or car)

The short answer is no balancing doesn't have to be done, but it needs to be checked and is a simple as checking voltages of individual cells. The other short answer is that if a pack is kinda hokey then it may need balanced every time.
    and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SirKarnage,

We do recommend that you balance the pack every time. It doesn't take any longer and will ensure that you pack is always at it's peak. As for your specific car set-up. Check in the car forums you should be able to find someone with the same set-up that can tell you which way to go.

Guver I appreciate your help, But please when someone has a question here in the MaxAmps Support Forum let me answer it. Many times to often what the general public feels is right is not what we feel as in this case. Don't take offense to this it's just that when people ask quetions here they are expecting help from the company not from the consumers.

Thanks Guys
    Jason
    MaxAmps Marketing Manager/Tech Support
    Jason@maxamps.com
    www.maxamps.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Jason,

Yea, I agree with your advice on both the use of balancing every time, and for the pro's to leave the response. As stated, Several people have told me several things.. was wanting straight from the horses mouth. Now I "KNOW" the answer.

Ordering being placed tonight

Thanks again!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry Jason, I didn't even realise that I was in the Maxamps support forum. Additionally I asked permission to post, but honestly can't remember getting a response from Austin.

I will be more careful. It does seem as I am in the minority here (you and the general public seem to agree on balancing every time)
    and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can post here but if it's a question of policy or a product problem I need to handle it.

Thanks for understanding

Jason
    Jason
    MaxAmps Marketing Manager/Tech Support
    Jason@maxamps.com
    www.maxamps.com