Community
Search
Notices
MaxAmps Support Receive support for your MaxAmps products here!

lipo balancing issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 11:53 AM
y7deluxe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo balancing issue

I have a Lipo 6000mah 7.4v 2s2p and it wouldn't finish balancing after an hour of trying to balance it. I know the longer it takes batteries to balance, the worse off they are. The thing used to balance in seconds. The issue I'm having is that I didn't use the battery for about 6 months, so I never got to see it gradually take longer for it to balance, I just saw one huge gap. Anyhow, I wasn't sure if my battery was toast or whether I should just let it continue to balance. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:22 AM
JAM MaxAmps

Default RE: lipo balancing issue

If you left it sitting for six months with out use and depending on how it was stored the pack may have a bad cell. Li-Po's should be stored at half their capacity and cycled at least once a month.

Jason
Old 11-23-2007, 04:51 PM
y7deluxe

Is there any way I can check to see if it has a bad cell or not? I left it sitting with 7.6volts total charge left on it. Also, I had another of the exact same battery with the exact same amount of runs on it left with 7.6volts on it and it balanced quickly and ran just fine...
Old 11-26-2007, 09:03 AM
JAM MaxAmps

Check the voltage of the pack. If it isn't fully charged, charge it. If you can use a balancer while you charge. Once it's fully charged put on the balancer and let it go to work until it is fininshed. What type of Balancer do you have?

Jason
Old 11-26-2007, 12:40 PM
y7deluxe

i have the TP-205v balancer. I charged the pack up to 8.4volts with the balancer plugged in to the battery pack and into my TP-1010c charger. Once it got to 8.4 volts, the balancer was still indicating the pack wasn't balanced yet, so I took it off the charger and let it continue to balance. After about an hour, I unplugged the balancer thinking the battery had a problem. That was when I charged my other battery that I left sitting for the same time, with the same voltage and that one charged/balanced/ran perfectly still.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:20 AM
JAM MaxAmps

Take a voltmeter and check the voltage of the cells at the balance tap. First red wire and first black wire will be cell bank 1 then move to the first black wire (As +) and the last black wire (As -) that is cell bank 2 . Give me those voltages. If your pack is still out of balance leave the balancer on until it finishes. If a pack is that far out it may take a while. Also some balancers will be so sensitive that they cells may be right next to each other but off .01 and the balancer might be fighting that. The LBA-10 will do this sometimes. Check the cell voltages when the pack is fully charged and give me those numbers.

Jason