Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Newbie .....how many cells do I have?

I have a maxamps lipo 6000 mah 5s, 14.8v battery. My superbrain charger is asking me how many cells do i have? Can someone tell me? I cannot find any tech specs that list the number of cells. I would guess 10 because of the 5s, but i want to be sure as it is a very expensive battery. Thanks for your help!

RE: Newbie .....how many cells do I have?

The "S" number stands for the number of cells in series , so you have a 5 cell for chargeing purposes. SEE BELOW VVVVV

Each cell in a lipo has nominal 3.7 volts so to double check 14.8 / 3.7=4 cells.

If yours is 14.8 then that's 4 cells. Since there's a descrepency counting the number of wires on the balance tap may indicate how many cells there are.

A 5S should be an 18.5 volt. I would get some clarification before using or chargeing it. Maybe a pic and Jason or someone can tell for sure?
    and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are correct. I am building an E-Revo. I have a: 4s2p, 14.8V, 6000 mah, 20C and a superbrain 989 to charge it with. I just need to know what settings to use and how to discharge (if I even need to?, etc. Thank you for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also, what do I input for AMPS? I set it at 4 cells, 6000 mah, and now the AMPS is flashing on the superbrain...

Ok, then you have 4 cells for chargeing purposes. You can use any rate up to 6 amps.
    and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Exactly what I said in the e-mails he sent me. If your unsure about anything stop and ask. I don't want you wreking anything or hurting your self. Make sure you have a balancer hooked up between the charger and the battery. I don't trust MRC chargers and the balancer will prevent the cells from being over charged.

Jason
    Jason
    MaxAmps Marketing Manager/Tech Support
    Jason@maxamps.com
    www.maxamps.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can you suggest a good balancer? Will it be pretty clear on how to wire it up?

Thanks again!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Look at our MaxAmps Method Balancer here http://www.maxamps.com/MA-Method-Balancer.htm . It is easy to use because it auto detects whether it's in connnection mode or standalone mode. There aren't any button to push that can mess the settings up. And you can also use the Hyperion adapter boards with it, so you can balance and brand of pack out there that uses The Hyperion, Align, TP or Kokam Taps. As for hooking it up it hooks to your chargers main out put and then you solder on your favorite battery connector. Plug in the main lead on the battery and then the tap and your set. Start the charge process. If you just want to balance a pack just use the balancer by it's self and plug in the pack main leads and then the tap let it go to work until it shuts down.

Jason
    Jason
    MaxAmps Marketing Manager/Tech Support
    Jason@maxamps.com
    www.maxamps.com