Community
Search
Notices
MaxAmps Support Receive support for your MaxAmps products here!

Is my new charger working properly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:06 PM
bracky72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my new charger working properly?

I recently bought a Hyperion EOS0606i and 2 maxamp 3S 2200mah lipos. When I got them I popped them on the charger using both the main and balancing connectors and charged at a .5c rate. The charging ended with 1 cell at 4.22 volts and the other 2 about .05 less then that. I went ahead and used them in my supercub and have put one back on the charger at a 1c rate. It initially was showing around 3.7 volts per cell. It has been charging for a while and now is showing 3.89, 4.23, and 4.02 per cell. The charging current has dropped to .01 amp but fluctuates around a little. Not much seems to be happening at this point. Isn't 4.23 to high to charge that 1 cell? How long should it be taking to balance them back to the same voltage? I'm worried it's messing up my battery.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:31 PM
bracky72

Default RE: Is my new charger working properly?

Now it's showing 3.87, 4.23, 3.98. The charger is still flashing chg/blc at a .01amp rate. I'm worried something is wrong because the voltages are getting further apart not closer with the 1 cell still above 4.2.

Now showing 3.84, 4.23, 3.93. I'm thinking I need to pull it from the charger before I ruin the battery but again I am new to this and don't understand how the balancer works.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:08 AM
JAM MaxAmps

A cell wil charge to the 4.2 volt range. let the process finish and let the balancer balance the pack before you remove it from the charger.

Jason
Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 AM
bracky72

ORIGINAL: JAM MaxAmps

A cell wil charge to the 4.2 volt range. let the process finish and let the balancer balance the pack before you remove it from the charger.

Jason
How long should this be taking? I have let it go for at least 6 hours and the voltages of each cell only seem to get further apart. Sometimes the charger will beep that it is finished after cell 2 hits 4.22-4.23 and then I'll wait a few hours and look and all of the cells will have dropped usually resulting in even more unbalance then before so I stop it. I have a .5 volt inbalance in new battery #1. Other times cell 2 will hit 4.22-4.23 volts and the rate will drop to .01 amps and then hours will pass where cell 2 stays at 4.22-4.23 but cells 1 and 3 drop voltage slowly and the charge cycle never ends again resulting in a big inbalance.

I also tried the discharge cycle but manually stopped it when one of the cells got down to 2.9? Isn't that to low?

I'm pretty bummed obviously and am going to call maxamps support again but I'll await your reply first.

I also made a homemade 3cell A123 battery yesterday and tried charging it and got the exact same result.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 AM
JAM MaxAmps

Once the cells are all the same or close at the end of the charge you can pull it off.

Jason
Old 02-12-2008, 11:41 AM
bracky72

The cells never even get close to the same. In fact as the hours go by they get further apart. In all three batteries I have tried.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 AM
JAM MaxAmps

If they are within .5 volts of each other they will be fine. If you feel the charger is faulty contact the shop and aske for an RMA form and send it back for a replacement. I'm guessing that if your A123 cells are yeilding the same result that you may have a charger with an issue of some type. This is the first I have heard of anything like this with a hyperion charger.

Jason
Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 AM
bracky72

I ordered another charger from you guys this morning and will send the old one back when I get the new one.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:41 PM
JAM MaxAmps

Did you call the shop and talk with someone first? This may have to be handled differently instead of just buying another one and then returning the one that may be bad. I would suggest you call and explain what is going on with the one you have right now.

Jason
Old 02-13-2008, 03:58 PM
bracky72

I've talked to them twice. They were supposed to get back to me yesterday after looking into my problem but never did. I don't see where there would be a problem returning defective merchandise. They can try using it when they get it and will see it isn't working right. I'll call them again right now and see what they have to say.

*edit*
Josh is sending me a RMA#. Hopefully I get the new charger soon.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:36 PM
JAM MaxAmps

That's why I suggested doing that in the first place. We have a system inplace for dealing with issues like this. Just simply sending something back doesn't work anymore procedures need to be followed.

Thanks

Jason
Old 02-13-2008, 05:21 PM
bracky72

I wasn't just going to send it back. But I'm also not waiting for you to receive it back from me to send me out another. Thats why I went ahead and ordered another. He hasn't emailed me the rma# yet by the way.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:32 PM
JAM MaxAmps

I talked to Josh and he said he e-mailed the RMA form yesterday. Please check your Junk e-mail folder or spam folder for the e-mail if it's not there let me know. E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you the RMA form that I now have.

Jason
Old 02-14-2008, 04:00 PM
bracky72

I've sent you a email.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:04 PM
bracky72

I received the new charger today. It works perfectly. [sm=49_49.gif]

The old one is inroute back via ups. Thanks for your help.