Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers > MaxAmps Support
Reload this Page >

I want to use an 11.1v pack but can't go over 6v...

Notices
MaxAmps Support Receive support for your MaxAmps products here!

I want to use an 11.1v pack but can't go over 6v...

Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 PM
y7deluxe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to use an 11.1v pack but can't go over 6v...

I was on the phone with maxamps.com and they told me that I could use a 7.4v pack with my receiver that is limited to a max of 6.0v. I'm pretty sure they told me that I'd need a B.E.C. regulator, but I'm not positive. It'd save me quite a bit of money if I could use one of my 11.1v packs that I have sitting around instead of purchasing a new 7.4v pack. Is the B.E.C. regulator what I need and can I use it with an 11.1v pack or does the pack have to be a 7.4v pack? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
JAM MaxAmps

Default RE: I want to use an 11.1v pack but can't go over 6v...

Yes you need to knock the voltage down to 6 volts. I wouldn't use an 11.1 volt pack because if the regulator were to fail a 3S pack would kill the system where a 2S is less likely to harm it. A castle creations BEC unit can be used to knock the voltage down to 6 volts.

Jason
Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 PM
y7deluxe

Do the BEC regulators fail often? Also, if it does fail, would it fry the receiver and the servos or just the servos? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 AM
JAM MaxAmps

I have over a dozen of them that I use and Knock on wood no issues but it's a man made device and can fail what ever brand it is. As far as what would get fried at that voltage, most likely everything. There is a slim chance the receiver would make it but why take the risk at all.

Best regards,

Jason
Old 01-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Supercharged6-71
My Feedback: (1)

Check the spec's on your receiver. My JR ar7000 spectrum receiver can handle up to 9.6 volts but the servo's can not handle this power.
I have powered my receiver and servo's with a 7.2 volt nicad pack and had no issue's but I would not use it all the time. I did this to see if the system would handle this power. I used this setup in a 120 stinger with a 50cc engine, she flew great till the motor mount broke from the motor and the motor fell off, I was able to land with out any problems, the engine was hanging by the choke cable. No more HHH engines for me, ran great, just bad metal and castings.
I use 6 volt packs with no regulator, not sure if I still need one using a 6 volt pack? I have a couple really nice JR spectrum regulators with built in fan, but not sure they are needed with 6 volts, some say yes they are needed to keep voltage level.
I have no idea if a regulator is needed, seems like more wieght and another man made thing do go bad and crash my plane. So I have these really nice regulators I just store in my parts box, I look at them sometime and think, how nice, then put them back in my parts box.
I tried selling them on ebay, I could not give them away. So must not be needed to bad, no one wanted them, I could not get .99 cents for them, with free shipping. I beleive these cost somewhere around 50-70 bucks on horizon, I can't remember what I paid but was not cheap.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 AM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

Y7DELUXE Re: your 11.1 volt pack can be dropped to 5.5 w/ aBEC THAT COST ABOUT $8.00.Call a small Co. in CA. LIGHT FLIGHT RC.RCPLANMAN