Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RX BATTERY- Why 2S2P instead of 2S1P

What's the rational behind using the 2S2P cell configuration to power a Fromeco regulator instead of a 2S1P lipo of greater capacity ? I know Fromeco sells their own brand of 2s2p lithium ion regulator battery and even an Eight Ball II volt meter to test regulator/receiver batteries under a 1 amp load. I ask this question because the 2S2P pack configuration costs 2-3 times the cost of one 3200mAh 7.4V 2s1p battery. It's all very confusing to me and I don't even know if you can safely power a Fromeco regulator on a 2s1p lithium polymer battery. Then there's the issue of balance charging the 2s2p lith ion, but skip that for now. I just want to know if it's safe to fly a nitro heli using the 2s1p pack to power the regulator.

Thanks,
    Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RX BATTERY- Why 2S2P instead of 2S1P

Please understand that this is the MaxAmps.com Support Forum not the Fromeco Support Forum. I can't comment on their products or why they do thing the way they do. I can say that in most cases the reason for say a 2S2P set-up is because the specific pack size in both shape and physical size can't be built with say just a 2S1P pack. For example our 6500 packs are built from 3250 cells.

I hope that helps some. But for more info on the Fromeco products please contact them.

Best Regards,

Jason
    Jason
    MaxAmps Marketing Manager/Tech Support
    Jason@maxamps.com
    www.maxamps.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RX BATTERY- Why 2S2P instead of 2S1P

Thanks Jason,
    Forget about Fromeco. I was using them as an example of the recommendation to go with a lithium ion 2S2P instead of a lithium polymer 2S1P , both 7.4 V packs nominal.
    The recommendation, based on your post, seems to be the advantage in size and weight of the lith-ion pack. I did read they have more energy density than any other rechargable battery. It appears there is no other inherent advantage such as a more consistent discharge rate, etc. that would favor the lith-ion pack. 7.4 Volts from a 10 C lith-ion is no different than say 7.4V from a 15C lipo if they are of similar capacity. Hope I have my facts correct. If not please give me the straight scoop.
    Best Regards.
    Don