RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   MaxAmps Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/maxamps-support-449/)
-   -   Scorpion 2S Lipo Charger (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/maxamps-support-449/5914693-scorpion-2s-lipo-charger.html)

idbdoug 05-28-2007 10:31 PM

Scorpion 2S Lipo Charger

Hello
I just purchased used the above charger for real good price. I can charge the Team Orion and Peak Racing style Lipo's with a connector from FMA Direct. Does anybody know how to wire up a MaxAmps battery to work with the older 2s charger because FMA Direct does not sell an adapter for the MaxAmps brand.
Thanks for any further information
Doug

JAM MaxAmps 05-29-2007 04:09 PM

RE: Scorpion 2S Lipo Charger

Maxamps packs are avaiable with either Hyperion/Apache taps, FMA cell pro taps, Thunder Power taps and Astro Blinky. Your not being real specific on your connection needs? Do you mean Balance taps or just the power connection? I'll do some research on the charger and see if I can help you out.

JAM MaxAmps 05-29-2007 04:27 PM

After doing some research on the charger I would recommend getting another charger..........the Scorpion was designed to charge the Scorpion Cells that are prewired with four connections and made specifically for that charger.........

idbdoug 05-29-2007 08:49 PM

After doing more research myself, I fought out the following. The charger you are looking at is the 6s(which has the four wire setup you mentioned), but mine is the 2s(which has a 3 wire setup). The 2s which FMA direct still sells, has an adapter that will charge Team Orion's and Peak Racing style LIpo's(hard case with 2 regular ports and 1 balancing port). After talking to FMA direct, they still sell a pigtail with a 2s port plug and 3 unattached(bare) wires. This part is available only through request. I then called Maxamps and they said send this pigtail to them and they would wire it into the battery like they would other brands you can preorder balancing taps.
What is weird is that the newer 6s,which does A123 batteries as well, does not have the same adapter to work with Team Orion and Peak Racing.
Duralite now makes a RC car battery similar to the Team orion and Peak Racing. Now throw in MaxAmps working with me, I have at least 4 brands to choose.
The 2s was only $25.00, a couple of adapters and I am only out $40.00 for a 10 amp lipo charger with balancing build into it. Awesome.
Thanks for your response
Doug

JAM MaxAmps 05-29-2007 09:01 PM

That's interesting.......the search I ran came up only with the Scorpion charger and the cells made for the E-maxx........It just goes to show you that a good old phone call can still have merit. I'm glad the team was able to help you out. We are all here to help....and your welcome........enjoy your summer flying.

If I can help with anything else, let me know

idbdoug 05-30-2007 06:28 AM

Hello
You can go to FMA Direct's website and look on the left side of the page towards the bottom, and find promo's. The promo's section has a couple of reviews of the 2s.
The 2s and 6s look exactly the same externally, but the 6s has an different(4 wire) output plug than the 2s(3 wire). The 2s was designed especially for their RC Car style batteries which they longer make for the market. The 6s and their other chargers are for the aviation Lipo's market. I forget exactly why they changed the output plug wire design.
Anyways, Thanks again
Doug