RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   MaxAmps Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/maxamps-support-449/)
-   -   6060i question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/maxamps-support-449/7094268-6060i-question.html)

NovaRC 02-18-2008 08:35 AM

6060i question

I am new to RC cars and I have a few questions about this charger and LiPos. I have seen a few post claiming this charger (50 watts) 6 amp charge rate will not be enough for big packs. Can someone set me straight to see if I understand this right?

If I have a 2S 3000 mah (max charge rate of 2c), I could charge this at 1C (3 amps) or 2C (6 amps)?

If I have a 2S 6000 mah, I could only ever charge it at 1 C (6 amps)?

If the above pack were drained, it would take about an hour to charge it?

How safe is it to run chargers at their max rating?

If I get packs over 6000 mah, I will have to charge at below 1C which means it will take longer.

Is there some mah limit to what I can charge? I can charge a 10,000 mah but it will take some time.

It also seems that, in general, you can charge Lipos at a faster rate than NiMH.

If I am wrong, can you explain why please?

Many thanks!

JAM MaxAmps 02-18-2008 08:54 AM

RE: 6060i question

ORIGINAL: NovaRC

I am new to RC cars and I have a few questions about this charger and LiPos. I have seen a few post claiming this charger (50 watts) 6 amp charge rate will not be enough for big packs. Can someone set me straight to see if I understand this right?The charger works fine with larger packs it's just that the charge time will be longer.

If I have a 2S 3000 mah (max charge rate of 2c), I could charge this at 1C (3 amps) or 2C (6 amps)? If these are our packs they can be charged at 2C but YOU MUST USE A BALANCER while charging at 2C.

If I have a 2S 6000 mah, I could only ever charge it at 1 C (6 amps)? Yes you will only be able to charge it at 6 amps.

If the above pack were drained, it would take about an hour to charge it?80 to 90 minutes to charge from the LVC point at a 6 Amp charge rate.

How safe is it to run chargers at their max rating?Very safe ...........no issues to worry about with this.

If I get packs over 6000 mah, I will have to charge at below 1C which means it will take longer. YES

Is there some mah limit to what I can charge?NO I can charge a 10,000 mah but it will take some time. Correct

It also seems that, in general, you can charge Lipos at a faster rate than NiMH.Not really NimH and Li-Po charged at thier rated charge rate will charge in about the same time. The main thing is that you can charge and discharge Li-Po's all day long. Where as with NimH you can't.

If I am wrong, can you explain why please?

Many thanks!

Jason

NovaRC 02-22-2008 12:39 PM

Jason,

Thank you for clearing up those issues for me.

I am torn between the 0606 and the 0610. My hangup is charge time for bigger packs.

Can you explain how you approximated the 80-90 min charge time for a 6000 mah pack?

What happens when you move to a pack like a 2S 8000 mah. You'd have to charge below 1C with the 0606. What kind of times are we talking about for bigger packs.

What are the implications of charging at rates higher than 1C (provided the pack can handle this)? Is it recommended? Does it reduce pack life?

Flip side, what are the implications of charging below 1C which is what would be required of the 0606 on bigger packs.

I am wondering if I should just go with the 0610 so I can change bigger packs at 1C and/or charge smaller packs at 1.5-2.0 (with balancing as you recommended).

What charger would you recommend for someone who foresees charging 6000 - 8000 mah packs in the future?

Many thanks
-Mike

JAM MaxAmps 02-22-2008 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: NovaRC

Jason,

Thank you for clearing up those issues for me.

I am torn between the 0606 and the 0610. My hangup is charge time for bigger packs.

Can you explain how you approximated the 80-90 min charge time for a 6000 mah pack? When I charge mine at 6 amps that's around the time it takes.

What happens when you move to a pack like a 2S 8000 mah. You'd have to charge below 1C with the 0606. What kind of times are we talking about for bigger packs. A lower charge rate won't hurt anything it will just take longer for an 8000 I would say over or around 2 hours at 6 amps.

What are the implications of charging at rates higher than 1C (provided the pack can handle this)? Is it recommended? Does it reduce pack life? All of our HV packs can be charged at a 2C charge rate if done with a blancer such as the Hyperion LBA-10 or the NEW MaxAmps Method Balancer. This can Be done with no ill affects to the Packs.

Flip side, what are the implications of charging below 1C which is what would be required of the 0606 on bigger packs. A less than 1C charge rate is fine and won't hurt anything at all.

I am wondering if I should just go with the 0610 so I can change bigger packs at 1C and/or charge smaller packs at 1.5-2.0 (with balancing as you recommended).

What charger would you recommend for someone who foresees charging 6000 - 8000 mah packs in the future? Honestly right now I'd go with the EOS0610i DUO and a good 360 watt plus power supply........................................ Thanks, jason

Many thanks
-Mike

passinuby 03-21-2008 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys what's going on?

My buddy just bought a 6060i Hyperion Charger and it does not have a balacer port for my 3s, 4000Mah, Venom lipo battery. Is this a specific 3s port that is on my battery?

Is there a converter I can buy that goes from what is on that venom battery to the balancer port on the Hyperion charger?

He just order a maxamp battery to go with his charger on-line. Will his new battery plug in to this port or will he need to change it?

Why is the 3s port on the venom battery different from what is on the balancing port on the charger? Are there many different plug manufacturers?

What is a better battery? Maxamp or Venom?

Thanks for you help...

JAM MaxAmps 03-21-2008 07:37 AM

For starters his charger should have came with a hyperion Tap balance tap board. That one will work with our packs if he ordered the hyperion tap on it. As for the Venom battery you need to purchase the Align Tap adapter board. And if you want the honest truth that venom battery won't even stand up to ours and you'll soon find out. Traxxas came to us for the batteries for the VXL systems and only our pack will push them over the 70 MPH mark. Both of the adapter boards can be seen here: http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=34

Jason

passinuby 03-21-2008 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well thanks for the opinion about my new $120.00 venom battery I just purchased....

I went to my buds house tonight and he can't seem to get his new hyperion charger to read his maxamp battery. He has a brand new 6060i charger (with a Tap Balance tap board) and a brand new 4000Mah, 11.1V, Maxamp Lipo Battery. After setting the charger to all the specifics on the battery and holding down the start button for the charger to read the battery it's giving him an error that says "no battery." Is there a more specific setting besides the obvious or is there a method of steps we should be following in order to get the charger to read his battery. Are we missing a step or what?

I noticed the 2s, 3s, and 4s ports are the same on the tap board. Can we try to use another port or will this affect the battery or the charge?

I've had two people tell me to only charge lipos through the balance port. Is this true for this battery or do I need to be charging through the balance port and the main lead?

So what you are telling me is I can charge my Venom battery with his charger if I have the Align Tap Adapter Board? Will this adapter board just plug into this charger or will I need to wire it myself. Your link did not work so I didn't get to see it. I would like to purchase this charger as well but I would like it to charge my Venom and the Maxamp batteries I buy in the future.

JAM MaxAmps 03-23-2008 08:53 AM

You need to have both the balance tap and the main plug hooked up to the charger in order to charge the pack. All Hyperion chargers operate this way. DO NOT use the wrong plug on the adapter board only use the one that matches the cell count of the pack. The link works for me but if you buy the Align adapteer seen here: http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...I-ALIGN&cat=34 it will plug right into the charger no special wiring is needed. Call your buddy and tell him to plug both pack plugs in and he'll be set.

Jason