RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   MaxAmps Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/maxamps-support-449/)
-   -   FP V-Balancer Compatability (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/maxamps-support-449/7184475-fp-v-balancer-compatability.html)

ben beyer 03-06-2008 11:48 AM

FP V-Balancer Compatability

1 Attachment(s)
I have two questions:

The first question is about the Maxamps packs compatability with the Flight Power V-Balancer. I have one of these balancers that I use with my smaller packs, but I'm considering doing a 50cc conversion project. If I did it, I would like to use Maxamps 6S 5000maH packs for power (I would connect them in series for 12S total). When you put the TP balancing taps on, would you just do two 3S taps?

I was looking at a picture of a 6S FP pack and I see two connections with 4 wires each. So, they basically have two 3S taps on each 6S pack for balancing. I'm assuming if Maxamps also did this, then one of your 6S packs would also be compatible, right?

The reason why I ask, is FP says that the V-Balancer is only compatible with their batteries, but that can't be completely true. If you were to build a battery pack with their diagrams for doing the balancing taps, then that pack should be compatible as well. I attached a picture.

My second question is about using a CellPro 4S charger to charge 6S packs. I have one of these chargers on the way because I need to charge A123 packs. Would I be able to charge a 6S Maxamps pack using two of the CellPro 4S chargers or do I need to stick with my V-Balancer?

I'm more or less know what I'm doing when it comes to anything with a single balancing tap, but these multiple tap packs are something that will be new to me. Anyways, I've done some research on the Maxamps packs and I really like what I'm seeing. Your packs are lighter than the FP and seem to be just as durable. They may take a little longer to "break in" but I can live with that with the weight savings.

JAM MaxAmps 03-06-2008 01:14 PM

RE: FP V-Balancer Compatability

The tp taps don't come in a 6S version thus the reason for the two 3S taps on the packs. If you buy our packs with the TP taps which is what Flight power uses you'll get them wire the same as the TP packs or the Flight Power packs. So you can use them with the V balancer.

Jason

ben beyer 03-06-2008 01:23 PM

You may know this better than me, but are FlightPower and Thunder Power more or less the same company?

Similar names and the balancing taps are the same.

Oh, and if I got your pack set up with the CellPro taps, it would be the same wiring as with a TP/FP tap, right?

JAM MaxAmps 03-06-2008 02:27 PM

Cell pro is totally different.

Jason

ben beyer 03-06-2008 03:42 PM

So it would be wired differently?

I know the balancing taps would be different, but would you configure a 6S pack like a 4S and 2S or would you separate it into 2 3S configurations?

JAM MaxAmps 03-06-2008 05:02 PM

I'm not sure how FMA comfigures thier 6S taps.

Jason

ben beyer 03-06-2008 05:03 PM

They don't have them. Their taps are designed for up to 4 cells or up to 5. So for a 6S pack, I would imagine you would just do two of the 2S-4S taps. I imagine you would just do it the same way and plug each tap into one of the two ports of their 10S balancer.