Notices
Merlin Turbine Clinic Support for Merlin Turbines is provided in this forum

Ignition failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 04:15 PM
roydefiant

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Ignition failure

I have a JM 200XBL bought last year. Came with color display. Fly with kerosene. Flew once at end of season last year. Today on first attempt to start gave me "ignition failure" code. Then on 2nd attempt fired up and ran perfectly thru the entire flight. Taxied back and shut down and turned fuel valve off. An hour later refueled and turned fuel valve on. Tried to start about 8 times and every time the data display said "ignition failure". Checked 2S lipo battery for ECU and was good and fuel lines intact.

Thoughts as to what is going on?

After how many attempts at start should one stop trying to avoid hotstart?

By the way I have another slightly older JM 200XBL that has run flawlessly since purchase with many flights in another jet

Thanks

Roy Maynard
Minnesota USA
Old 06-04-2019, 07:10 PM
roydefiant

In F/U I could not find a reason for what happened. Took the jet out a week later to fly and fired up immediately and ran flawlessly
Old 06-04-2019, 07:59 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi Roy, any time you have a failed start there is the possibility of fuel collecting in the chamber so its always good practice to tilt the model forward just to be safe. If the start process is aborted or fails before the fuel valves open then not likely. I just saw this post, so is the motor running okay now?
Old 06-05-2019, 05:44 AM
roydefiant

Thanks for F/U. Before attempting to fly again I pulled the turbine out and shook it upside down. Not a drop of fuel came out but it had been sitting for a week. After I put it back in and hooked back up it started just fine and ran great. Not sure why it misbehaved that day.

Thanks

Roy
Old 06-05-2019, 02:43 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by roydefiant
Thanks for F/U. Before attempting to fly again I pulled the turbine out and shook it upside down. Not a drop of fuel came out but it had been sitting for a week. After I put it back in and hooked back up it started just fine and ran great. Not sure why it misbehaved that day.

Thanks

Roy
sometimes the turbines gods just like to play jokes I think.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 AM
pimpmycnc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your piping for any deposits in the fuel pipes. When i ran Kerosene and kept the plane back for a longer pause, i found some debris sticking in the lines. It was like thickened fuel, it wasn't dirt or something. It was hard to see in the clear lines. I foud it after i was lookinig for the reason for a flame out during flight.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:28 PM
roydefiant

I have seen those clear deposits in my fuel can but since multiple inline filters I have not seen them onboard. Curious observation is that if I don’t reverse the pump, I don’t seem to have the problem. I have a fuel valve on board that is off during refueling and a taxi tank hooked up during refueling. I don’t have an explanation for this
Old 06-21-2019, 03:03 PM
FenderBean

I think that’s algae or slime as they call it.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:49 PM
roydefiant

So this same turbine misbehaved again. This time during start up, the data display showed the rpm from the brushless motor running but the turbine never fired. The ignition failure display did not show. I realized that the spin phase was lasting too long and my buddy checked the back of the turbine (in a J10) so easy to see and he could see Jet A spraying out the back of the turbine. Good thing it did not fire, would have been a fireball. Of course I shut down. The turbine was filled with Jet A and we drained that out. On restart everything went well and flew the J10 uneventfully. Of course I am worried about what happened and wondering if could be a problem with a bad fuel pump or ECU. More then happy to pull stuff out for testing.
Roy
Old 08-26-2019, 10:35 PM
FenderBean

May have just been a stuck valve or some trash, has the motor been sitting a while?
Old 08-28-2019, 06:59 AM
roydefiant

The jet was last flown about 7 weeks previously
Roy
Old 08-28-2019, 11:14 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like it might be your igniter. I would first check and clean or replace your onboard filter(s). If that doesn't work then email Gaspar for his assessment. If it's the igniter then you'll have to send it in.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:52 PM
FenderBean

Roy, is there any kind of temp increase? you can generally hear the igniter sizzle and even look at the end of the motor and see it as it kicks on. What is your glow voltage set at?